Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Columbus F340RK: General Questions

Hi - We're very interested in this particular floor plan. The kitchen looks extremely well laid out and very open. Our only local dealer doesn't have any of the Columbus floor plans in yet, so I was hoping someone here owns this one and could help me.

1.) Is there a pantry anywhere in that kitchen?
2.) Does the lower countertop section to the right of the refrigerator slide back under the cabinet behind it if you wish, or is this stationary?
3.) What's your overall feel/impression of this floor plan? Those pictures with wide-angle lenses always make things look bigger than they are. :>)

Thank you!

Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Trailer Trash

Look up a member on here called britsontour or something like that. They have a 340RK. Send them a private message with your questions.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #3

Hi, We have only had our since just before Christmas, but have been out already for a long weekend in Va. The counter to the right of the frige IS stationary. The slide actually goes over in when in the closed position. I was doing some investigating and noticed the counter / cabinet actually has rollers on the "Inside" portion. This is how the slide can roll out. I was thinking of putting 2 more castors on the outside end so that it could be pushed back in if not needed. Only problem is that when I take the screws out that hold it in place I will have to come up with a close match of caulk to fill screw holes in floor. We like the floor plan espically the kitchen and for me (a big guy) the larger shower is great. The cabinets to the right of the frige do have pull out pantry / spice drawers.

Paul
Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #4

340RK kitchen layout

I have a 2013 340RK, I love the floor plan. It does not have a pantry. that's the only thing we miss since upgrading to the 340RK. The double door refrigerator/freezer takes up the room. The wing cabinet is stationary. the slide out slides over it when in. I installed some shelves in it and now use it for dry goods. Next to the refrigerator there are two pullout shelving units that can also hold can goods etc. The down side of the layout is when the slides are in and you want to get to the kitchen, say at a quick rest stop you have to squeeze by or climb over the theater seats to get to the kitchen area.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

And just in case you are interested there is an active group of Columbus Owners at http://www.facebook.com/groups/379970242092901/

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Hi, We have only had our since just before Christmas, but have been out already for a long weekend in Va. The counter to the right of the frige IS stationary. The slide actually goes over in when in the closed position. I was doing some investigating and noticed the counter / cabinet actually has rollers on the "Inside" portion. This is how the slide can roll out. I was thinking of putting 2 more castors on the outside end so that it could be pushed back in if not needed. Only problem is that when I take the screws out that hold it in place I will have to come up with a close match of caulk to fill screw holes in floor. We like the floor plan espically the kitchen and for me (a big guy) the larger shower is great. The cabinets to the right of the frige do have pull out pantry / spice drawers.

Paul
Thanks, Paul. You know, I was thinking that section was a pull-out extra cabinet/counter top like I've seen in some high-end motorhomes. I admit I'm a little disappointed that it's stationary instead. Because it's stationary, you won't be able to slide it back in when it's not needed, and it appears it would break up the feeling of spaciousness as such. (I could be wrong about that.) Plus, it could house a pull-out pantry in the end of the cabinet, though it still provides additional storage as it is. I'm glad to hear it does have some pantry space. I suppose without the big fridge, a pantry could fit in there, but I'd want to keep the nice size fridge.

I really like the showers they are using too. I haven't had the privileged of walking through the new floor plans for this year. I can't wait until my local dealer gets them in! Walking through and having the opportunity to sit down in the floor plan is so much better than just looking at pictures and video walk-throughs online.

I think I really have my heart set on a Columbus. I've been researching RVs for a couple of years. I love that Columbus is using the foam insulation combined with astro-foil - and out of the companies that are using foam at least in the roof, this is the highest R-rating I've seen. And it's not bad that they've used some fiberglass in the floor. At least if the fiberglass in the floor gets wet, it won't be a huge hassle to have to replace it.

I really wish we were looking at buying one this year (it's getting harder and harder to wait!!), but I want to get our TV paid off first and build up a sizable down payment. We're just an average middle class family, so it's not easy. Anyhow, that'll give us time to perhaps come upon a slightly used one for less money. Maybe...lol.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro56 View Post
I have a 2013 340RK, I love the floor plan. It does not have a pantry. that's the only thing we miss since upgrading to the 340RK. The double door refrigerator/freezer takes up the room. The wing cabinet is stationary. the slide out slides over it when in. I installed some shelves in it and now use it for dry goods. Next to the refrigerator there are two pullout shelving units that can also hold can goods etc. The down side of the layout is when the slides are in and you want to get to the kitchen, say at a quick rest stop you have to squeeze by or climb over the theater seats to get to the kitchen area.
I figured as much about the fridge. Thank you. That's a very good point about when the slide outs are in. I didn't realize that. I do really like the rear kitchen floor plan, but I'm open to all of them except the 320RS. It's not the floor plan that I don't like: it's the size of the fridge. There will often be four of us, and I'm not sure that size of fridge will be sufficient. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though, or maybe there is a way around it. Not sure.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #8

I do believe that the fridge can be upgraded to the 4 door in the 320RS.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #9

Miboje, We have bought 2 new RV's over the years at RV recreational shows and saved almost 30% each time. They will also fiance them for 15 yrs with a good credit report. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
And just in case you are interested there is an active group of Columbus Owners at http://www.facebook.com/groups/379970242092901/
Hopefully someday I'll be an owner, but for now I'd just be a stalker.