Old 11-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #11

The RV salesman informed me that it was a 4 season trailer.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
not sure where you saw that the Columbus is a 4 season trailer. i've not been able to find any claim from the company, of them being 4 season.
in fact, very few trailers have true 4 season capability.
x's 2 on that, even with the arctic pack, it's still a 3 season trailer. I'm sure you have power where you are at. I would put a heater in the basement to help keep the temp up below freezing. I would question why the kitchen sink line on the hot side is freezing up only. If you can get under in the belly area I would check how that line is ran. You should also have a vent in the basement plus tank heaters. The tank heaters in the closed basement will help put off heat down there. But that kitchen thing bothers me the most, I would be looking there first and try and figure that one out. That's interesting to me, please keep us informed.....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike61 View Post
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
A salesman will tell you anything to make a sale. I hope Chris see's this post a rep from that line at the factory, he would be able to clear this up. He's pretty good about helping Columbus owers out. Wish Rockwood would have someone.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 11-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
x's 2 on that, even with the arctic pack, it's still a 3 season trailer. I'm sure you have power where you are at. I would put a heater in the basement to help keep the temp up below freezing. I would question why the kitchen sink line on the hot side is freezing up only. If you can get under in the belly area I would check how that line is ran. You should also have a vent in the basement plus tank heaters. The tank heaters in the closed basement will help put off heat down there. But that kitchen thing bothers me the most, I would be looking there first and try and figure that one out. That's interesting to me, please keep us informed.....
I pulled the under coating off the trailer and to my surprise, the water line is laid on 6 inches of insulation, but 3 inches from the edge of the insulation towards the outside wall where there is NO insulation at all. It is also 11 inches away from the heated tanks. I will add some pipe and ceiling insulation to that area and see if it takes care of the problem. I am headed to some warm weather next weekend, high is 9 degrees with wind chile at -5 to -15 degrees F.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
10x

Move to Florida!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #17

I found the brochure on the Columbus trailer and it states that there is R-32 Floor Insulation in "The All New Columbus Standard Features". I looked at R-30 insulation and it was 9 inches thick. The insulation in my Columbus Floor was only 6 inches.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #18

Quote:
I found the brochure on the Columbus trailer and it states that there is R-32 Floor Insulation in "The All New Columbus Standard Features". I looked at R-30 insulation and it was 9 inches thick. The insulation in my Columbus Floor was only 6 inches.
They are probably using the floor insulation also to make that claim, just like your walls and roof. Together they come up with R-32 buy adding 6" under the floor. I'm just guessing how they can make that statement The floor is compressed just like the walls and roof. You can buy the 1/8 thick silver insulation for water heaters and thats rated like R 30 or something at home depot. it all comes down to the total floor, unless your Columbus has 3/4" plywood flooring.
Did it state in the brochure that it is rated as a 4 season trailer? I still do not know of any. Did your unit come with double pain windows?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #19

The R38 is achieved with a combination of standard batt or block foam insulation plus the addition of "astro-foil" insulation. The astro foil seems to give the R Value a big boost. Not sure if R38 is reality or just theoretical. After all, just like in your house, any gaps will allow cold air in and make all that insulation much less effective. The aluminum framing is also a good transmission material for cold. A good vapour barrier is essential.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #20

Our Columbus gas fresh and gray water heaters. The front storage us heated and so is the water filter compartment. Been in freezing temps with no problems. The furnace is very efficient too. The only take away is the lack of adequate propane tanks. You get three 20 lbs. Instead of the normal twin 4o lbs. Tanks. They last about 2 days in winter weather. I add a external 100 lb. Tank if i am staying longer.

Tags
columbus, winter