Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #1

Columbus in harsh winter, how does it hold up?

While I love the thought of a winter in the 20s or 30s, nature is a bit less kind. Winter here is guaranteed -20 to -30s and I'm wondering how well will a columbus hold up to such temps?

Right now I'm living in a cedar creek 30rlbs in ND and it has done well enough despite constant minor problems, such as a furnace not wanting to light in cold temps... but anyway.

Last winter (skirted) my main problem was freezing in the kitchen, I had trouble getting water line in the kitchen enough heat to stay thawed on the colder days. The other bigger problem was the black tank, despite having a tank heater and anti-freeze mixed in, it still came close to freezing. The valve on the black tank froze up so I put a space heater in the under belly which seemed to do the trick. The grey and galley tank I left open, I had no freezing in the sewage line at all.

For those of you wondering about the city water connection, I used a pre-heated hose, worked great for about a month, died, then basically fell apart once it froze up. I heat taped my own and insulated it and the water line stayed thawed through -35 with no problems.

I'm torn between getting rid of the cedar creek for a new rv since I live in it year round and the columbus is the one of two that I like (also considering a cedar creek 36CKTS) but I'd like to hear from anyone that has lived in their columbus in those temps and the problems they encountered.

I appreciate the feed back. Also, while the season here isn't RV friendly, it's the only option, single bedroom apartments are 1.5k+ a month for something smaller than my RV.
Guestwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Always Learning

Here was a long thread where a family tried it:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ime-30764.html
Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Here was a long thread where a family tried it:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ime-30764.html
I loved that post... I wonderwhat happened to their Columbus AND if they are trying it this winter. ALSO waiting fot the reality TV series. Ice Road Campers...
Old 09-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #4

I just finished reading the thread. It was great! I also did a bump on it to possibly get a update on it. Hopefully Gypsy will see it and let us know how it is going.
txcolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guestwho View Post
While I love the thought of a winter in the 20s or 30s, nature is a bit less kind. Winter here is guaranteed -20 to -30s and I'm wondering how well will a columbus hold up to such temps?

Right now I'm living in a cedar creek 30rlbs in ND and it has done well enough despite constant minor problems, such as a furnace not wanting to light in cold temps... but anyway.

Last winter (skirted) my main problem was freezing in the kitchen, I had trouble getting water line in the kitchen enough heat to stay thawed on the colder days. The other bigger problem was the black tank, despite having a tank heater and anti-freeze mixed in, it still came close to freezing. The valve on the black tank froze up so I put a space heater in the under belly which seemed to do the trick. The grey and galley tank I left open, I had no freezing in the sewage line at all.

For those of you wondering about the city water connection, I used a pre-heated hose, worked great for about a month, died, then basically fell apart once it froze up. I heat taped my own and insulated it and the water line stayed thawed through -35 with no problems.

I'm torn between getting rid of the cedar creek for a new rv since I live in it year round and the columbus is the one of two that I like (also considering a cedar creek 36CKTS) but I'd like to hear from anyone that has lived in their columbus in those temps and the problems they encountered.

I appreciate the feed back. Also, while the season here isn't RV friendly, it's the only option, single bedroom apartments are 1.5k+ a month for something smaller than my RV.
if you're serious PM me with your phone number.
GypsyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Trailer Trash

Go search on RV's and mobile homes used in ND oil fields. I ran across a guy that makes one version with a rounded barn like roof. 2 bedrooms one each end of RV and kitchen living room in the middle. They were insulated to be good at -60°F. His name is Jim. Send me a private message if you'd like to have his phone number. He made 120 of them a couple years ago and they sold quickly.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #7

RE: Wintering in Columbus

We upgraded from our Jayco Eagle RLTS365 to the Columbus 365RL. The only issue we've had so far is our hot water to the kitchen sink is freezing up. Not the cold line, not any of the bathroom supply lines, just the kitchen sink hot water line. We will start with additional insulation under the floor, and I've begun researching skirting options, as here in Kansas, we can easily have extended periods of single digit temperatures..
AndyPamHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #8

MY wife and I have a 320 rs but we winter in Arizona. Do;n tknow about the extreme cold problems but we have had nothing but problems with our columbus. from electrical to water leaks that flood the front underbelly twice, water heater don't work on electric side, furnace squirel cage went bad last winter which our dealer fixed but forgot to put duct work back on the furnace so we almost had a fire on the way from michigan. Now more water leaks and underbelly flooded again today, water heater leaks again! We are tired of fixing this trailer. 1 and 1/2 years old and I am not very thrilled with columbus. I am tring to stay possitive but its hard when your under it more than in it.
cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #9

Angry

I just came back from a hunting trip in Wyoming in my 2013 Columbus 295 and had no water in the kitchen and bathroom when the temperature was 27 degrees. I was wondering if the main water line would freeze can cause those problems and how to fix it.
For being a 4 season trailer, I don't think the water lines should freeze at that temperature.
Mike61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike61 View Post
For being a 4 season trailer, I don't think the water lines should freeze at that temperature.
not sure where you saw that the Columbus is a 4 season trailer. i've not been able to find any claim from the company, of them being 4 season.
in fact, very few trailers have true 4 season capability.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #11

The RV salesman informed me that it was a 4 season trailer.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
not sure where you saw that the Columbus is a 4 season trailer. i've not been able to find any claim from the company, of them being 4 season.
in fact, very few trailers have true 4 season capability.
x's 2 on that, even with the arctic pack, it's still a 3 season trailer. I'm sure you have power where you are at. I would put a heater in the basement to help keep the temp up below freezing. I would question why the kitchen sink line on the hot side is freezing up only. If you can get under in the belly area I would check how that line is ran. You should also have a vent in the basement plus tank heaters. The tank heaters in the closed basement will help put off heat down there. But that kitchen thing bothers me the most, I would be looking there first and try and figure that one out. That's interesting to me, please keep us informed.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
A salesman will tell you anything to make a sale. I hope Chris see's this post a rep from that line at the factory, he would be able to clear this up. He's pretty good about helping Columbus owers out. Wish Rockwood would have someone.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
x's 2 on that, even with the arctic pack, it's still a 3 season trailer. I'm sure you have power where you are at. I would put a heater in the basement to help keep the temp up below freezing. I would question why the kitchen sink line on the hot side is freezing up only. If you can get under in the belly area I would check how that line is ran. You should also have a vent in the basement plus tank heaters. The tank heaters in the closed basement will help put off heat down there. But that kitchen thing bothers me the most, I would be looking there first and try and figure that one out. That's interesting to me, please keep us informed.....
I pulled the under coating off the trailer and to my surprise, the water line is laid on 6 inches of insulation, but 3 inches from the edge of the insulation towards the outside wall where there is NO insulation at all. It is also 11 inches away from the heated tanks. I will add some pipe and ceiling insulation to that area and see if it takes care of the problem. I am headed to some warm weather next weekend, high is 9 degrees with wind chile at -5 to -15 degrees F.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
10x

Move to Florida!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #17

I found the brochure on the Columbus trailer and it states that there is R-32 Floor Insulation in "The All New Columbus Standard Features". I looked at R-30 insulation and it was 9 inches thick. The insulation in my Columbus Floor was only 6 inches.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #18

Quote:
I found the brochure on the Columbus trailer and it states that there is R-32 Floor Insulation in "The All New Columbus Standard Features". I looked at R-30 insulation and it was 9 inches thick. The insulation in my Columbus Floor was only 6 inches.
They are probably using the floor insulation also to make that claim, just like your walls and roof. Together they come up with R-32 buy adding 6" under the floor. I'm just guessing how they can make that statement The floor is compressed just like the walls and roof. You can buy the 1/8 thick silver insulation for water heaters and thats rated like R 30 or something at home depot. it all comes down to the total floor, unless your Columbus has 3/4" plywood flooring.
Did it state in the brochure that it is rated as a 4 season trailer? I still do not know of any. Did your unit come with double pain windows?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #19

The R38 is achieved with a combination of standard batt or block foam insulation plus the addition of "astro-foil" insulation. The astro foil seems to give the R Value a big boost. Not sure if R38 is reality or just theoretical. After all, just like in your house, any gaps will allow cold air in and make all that insulation much less effective. The aluminum framing is also a good transmission material for cold. A good vapour barrier is essential.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #20

Our Columbus gas fresh and gray water heaters. The front storage us heated and so is the water filter compartment. Been in freezing temps with no problems. The furnace is very efficient too. The only take away is the lack of adequate propane tanks. You get three 20 lbs. Instead of the normal twin 4o lbs. Tanks. They last about 2 days in winter weather. I add a external 100 lb. Tank if i am staying longer.
seahawk986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus, winter