Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #21

RVDawg,
I was in a 385 2 days ago and that is one question we didn't ask. They are still making some changes to the prototype, but the length is not one of them! I'm sure Christopher Columbus can get that info to you.
Let me just say it is long! I am sure every bit of 40 feet!
Getting excited for prototype to be finished and production started!
Jo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #22

We are extremely interested in the 385. We are trying to find out some specific specifications…length and weights. Needless to say, the costs are also a factor.

Another question is about replacing the king pin assembly with a unit that cushions the ride and pulling of a fifth wheel.

Any help would be appreciated. We are getting no where with dealers.
plein air artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #23

Thanks. Since most of the state campgrounds seem to have a limit of 40' being at or below that length is important to us. Under 41' might be acceptable as we have been told that the rangers are more concerned with the correlation between length and number (385). We will be towing with an F250.

I have to admit that this will be our first fifth wheel. I have towed campers and trailers of various sizes for years.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #24

Central Vac Systems - 385

Does anyone know if the 365 has or if the 385 will have a central van system?

My wife is asking about this.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #25

I have not had the chance to get back to this forum but have just done so. Jo54 sounds like you were impressed and the gray is the way to go. I have seen a rough photo of the back sofa/bed and looked so-so. Thats all I have seen so far. I need a place to store work boots out of the way and as close as possible to the main door. Do you think it has that? I build Cedar Log Homes and travel with my crew so thats why I'm looking at the Columbus 385. Can you post or send me some photos of the interior? Sounds like they are receptive to your thoughts. I need to get over this week and make my final decision but I cant wait as the next home starts 4-02 3 1/2 hours from home. Thanks for the help!
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #26

I am almost certain that central vac is a standard feature of the Columbus. It was in the 385 prototype we toured and is not listed as a separate line item on the option sheet that is out for the 320, 325, and 365.
The unit is located very centrally under the bottom step going up to the master bedroom. Easy access to empty the unit in the basement area.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #27

Good to hear about the central vac.

We are eagerly anticipating an option sheet, weights, measures and costs for the 385. It is our intent to place an order as soon as we get that information. We are willing to travel to get a unit. There is not a dealer real close to us. The closest is 2-3 hours away.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #28

Mustang,
I really was impressed with both the product and the folks that are producing them! While it was the "grey" that caught my eye, I do want to emphasize that the brown was a really great looking product as well! My DH spent a considerable amount of time looking at both from all angles. He is still discussing the decision!

I do have pictures - many in fact, courtesy of Dennis Murphy at Campers Inn, Elkhart, IN. I came home from a 2 day getaway with the family last night to find a CD loaded with all the pics he took during our factory visit! Now that is service! I can't say enough for this guy!

With that said, I am reluctant to post any of these pictures, specifically of the 385. They were so generous with their invitation to look at this model pre-production, that I would be remiss in posting anything prior to the final build decision without the permission of the Columbus folks.

This model was really a "work in progress" - complete with sawdust, tools, and plastic wrapped furnishings. I would like to give Tom and his folks time to "pretty up" the pictures. The Columbus is truly a great product, wouldn't want to give a bad impression!

I believe there is a great spot for work boots. As you enter, there will be an upholstered bench with a generous under seat storage area. Also, I really liked the back bunk area - but our use/needs sound quite different. We are a 3 generation family in a seaonal campground with a very large concrete pad and a generous sized wooded "yard".

My DH and I are usually at the campground with our 2 8 yr. old grandchildren and quite often 1-2 additional adults. One of our main requirements in purchasing a new camper was that we did not want to wake up in the AM and find folks asleep on sofas, dinette tables, or trip over them on the floor! Nor did we want to have to walk through a bathroom to get to the master bedroom - wanted the bathroom to have only one door, opening from the hall. We also needed a larger refridgerator.

After considerable research and looking, we decided an outdoor kitchen would be nice as would a second toilet area. Our list kept growing and with the physical constraints of what one can tow being what it is... Well, my DH and I finally agreed that the 385 Columbus met most of our needs. We know we are sacrificing a really generous sized living/dining area to get the larger bunk area but feel that works best for our family. Our living area is really the great outdoors anyway!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #29

If anyone is ever thinking about purchasing an RV, go to the factory, take a tour and see for yourself who they are and how they do things. In my buisness of Custom Log Homes, the people are as important as the product and you will not get the right product without the right people. They have both at the Columbus plant. We arrived pretty much unannounced (Please call first) and was quickly more than welcomed with open arms. Both Jack and Tom spent 3 hours with us and taking our input as well for suggestions. It is a fantastic product line and I went over really to rule it out and not have to wait for one. But some things are worth waiting for and this is one of them! Hang in there everybody, it is truly worth the wait for this quality of a product at this price point!! No they are not paying me to say that. But I have Lived in Rvs for- too long while working on the road. They really listened to my perspective of not just a bunkhouse for kids but one that will work equally well for adults for more than a weekend getaway. Tom was especially helpful with everything and I can see why he and all those there are excited about what they have to offer. Finally a high end product that will really sleep more than 2 comfortably. They are still finalizing the coffee maker location and details suggested by JO 54 last Friday and they truly took our suggestions for some other minor things that are important from my standpoint. I found out that you can now add a generator and the central vac is part of the Voyager package so it is standard. The full size convection Microwave with counter over the stove is what I see on other units costing well over 100K. Good storage and does not feel tight with a center island. There is alot going into this floorplan and they are making great use of every nook and crany. 41 ' long and do not have the weight yet. Two are online now and should be done this week. I do have a price sheet from my dealer- John at Cheyene Camping Center in Eastern Iowa so if you need some more help, call him. He will get to see my photos Tuesday morning when he enters my order so Tom can schedule it in ASAP! Thanks again Jack, Tom and ? (guy measuring for things- I did not get his name) Jo54- I appreciate your answer on the photos I asked for and agree. It does not cost 30K but you get what you pay for and this is way worth it. It will make a big dent into other manufactures bunkhouse sales. If anyone has more questions- please ask and i will try to answer them- otherwise go see for yourself- its worth the trip!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #30

Mustang,

I heard you were at the plant today when I talked to Jack (aka Christopher Columbus). I called to get clarification on a couple of issues and once again the response was friendly and committed to getting us the product we want.

I wholeheartedly agree with your evaluation of the build and the builders! What kind of "tweaks" in the unit were you interested in?

Glad to hear a price sheet has been developed. I will be calling Dennis at Campers Inn in Elkhart to finalize my order in the morning. The race is on - your unit or mine? Just kidding...this is one purchase I don't want them to rush on!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #31

I dont know for sure if the final pricing is out as of yet- might be - but I have purchased from my dealer before and they will "eat the reat"- their words-if it comes in higher.They are just as anxious to get one there to see!
We spoke about the main door to the rear bedroom. I have some ideas for them after driving the 5 hours to get home. I will send to them in the morning. Also after seeing the cushion for the seating right inside the door (the cusion arrived as we were there) I did not really like the idea of having to move it all to access the storage under so Tom is going to use a largeer twin swing out door from the front. My boot storage I asked you about the other night. Also a great area for bigger cases of soda, ect. I would also like to see the flip down bed on the 1/2 bath side off the floor about 12". The bed is not installed yet and I forgot to ask about it but Chris C. will read this tomarrow and hopfully agree to have it off the floor some. I'm suggesting to use the swing door at the 1/2 bath side and have a "clipped corner" on that lower bed and use the pocket door on the main entry side to the rear bed area. The two slides on that main entry side are slightly affecting the door design. We talked about a bifold door but in my opinion building homes, that would not be my first choice and they are a finger pincher with a bunkhouse with lots of kids. I'm also checking with a couple of my suppliers about different door hardware that clears the slides better. A recessed pocket hardware with a easy to pull design that will work for kids also. I think your coffee maker and my ice tea brewer counter is waiting the final design of that door situation. Thats why its a prototype!
I think thats the main last item to get just right.

To get really picky, I would like a slightly smaller sink in the main bath to get a couple more inches of changing room in the main bath or move the faucet to one side and move the sink back a little. The only problem with that is right and left handed ( my wife is a lefty )people when using the sink so in back solves that issue for them. I and one of my guys with me are a little bigger so I like as much moving around room as possible.

Don't get me wrong, its a great one as it is now. But I have always looked and kept up with floorplan changes in the industry (kind of something to do when I'm on the road building and that really helps me dream up things in a home, if they make it fit in and RV, I can fit it in a home) This floorplan is great! I see so many that look good in the professional websites but dont really work when you walk through them. This one was way better than I imagined it would be. It has the storage, counters, top appliances, sleeping and relaxing areas ( the reclining sofa is fantastic!) Shower that is bigger than mine in my home I built! Throw in the insulating values, quality fit and finish in all the details and at that price and thats why I'm ordering one. One last thing, we spoke about the bottom molding at that wall cabinet above the sitting area. They are looking for corner blocks to not have a sharp outside corner but they do not have a supplier that has one. I will probably just remove that bottom trim or make one for mine someday and switch it out. Thanks again Jack and Tom- keep up the good work and you will need a larger facility.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #32

Thank you all for the information that you are sharing with the rest of us. We are patiently waiting to get all the info we can on this unit before we order another brand.

Mustang--You said the unit was 41' long. I am really stuck on the length and was wondering if that was with a tape measure or just what you were told. I have set a limit of 40' on the length and would hate to rule this unit out over 1 foot.

Is there an build sheet / option sheet out there that anyone has?--Christopher Columbus maybe?

Thank you for your help
RVdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #33

Unit Length

I understand that 50' is OK in many state parks. In GA, depending on the park it is 40' max with some at 25'. I realize that the KOAs etc will take larger units. However, the state parks typically beautiful.

I have read about issues with the bike rack. What is the maximum weight recommended by Forest River? I was hoping to be able utilize the camper and the bike rack for traveling to art shows and setting up my display which includes a 10' x 10' canopy/tent. I was hoping to be able to tie it and my weights to the bike rack. I can always put them in the truck bed.

I have not placed an order as yet. I have communicated by e-mail with 4 different dealers. I am still looking for the one to work with. All are over 3 hours away. One issue is service after the sale. I have read of some disturbing reports regarding service with the closest dealer.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #34

RvDawg - that length was word of mouth and not a tape. They are still finalizing a few things and do not want to get things out there that could possibly change. They are really close but do not want to quickly decide things just to get it done. A little more time to keep it right and make the final little things correct is worth waiting for. If your not wanting to go over 40' because of the campground regulations, I can understand but I used to be Manager of all our county campgrounds here and we never measured even though I knew some were way over 40'.
I would check with them for an exception or find a new place to enjoy my RV or not say anything and take my chances and I would bet you would not be the only one over that length.
It was not that long ago that a 30 AMP service was all I had to design in new campgrounds but then 50 Amp, CATV request, WI FI connections and hot showers all through the winter. They need to revisit the length issue to go with all the other updates as mentioned.
Personally- another 6" longer would solve the door issue they are having but I guess one has to draw the line in the sand somewhere. If you can make it work, I believe you will find it worth it! Towing 36' or 42' does not make that big of differance but I do reccomend the More Ryde pin bow option. I think the 385 is truly beautiful. I ordered mine this morning and added generator prep for the future as well.
I mentioned John at Cheyene Camping Center in Iowa has some pricing figures and they are super to work with. Give him a call to see if its in the ballpark for want you want to spend. I spoke with Jack this afternoon at the factory and sent a few ideas at his request. Try that with other manufactures and see where you get.
I think they are a little behind with this one due to the great response on the floorplans they are already producing and getting them built. Not the worst of problems to have though!
Best of luck to all waiting to make their decision. I will be paying for 2 hotel romms 3 nights a week untill mine arrives but I'm willing to "suffer" for the result.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #35

I missed the post about the weight rating on the "bike rack" before my last post.
I'm not 100% positive but I believe it is rated at 450 LBS- it is heavy duty! Not just for bikes. Not all racks on all Forest River products are that rating. I think most are 200 to 250 LBS. I ordered the fiberglass rear cap and I do not think I can get the bike rack with the rear cap. Toward the end of April check out Cheyene's website for tons of photos of mine before I take it on the road. Mine will be gray and their site also has multipole photos of a 320 RS to look at now. From the main door up to the front, I think the floorplans are all the same other than the king bed vs queen. The queen bed has side shelves for glasses, watch, alarm clock- a receptacle on each side as well to plug that in. A simple thing, but some trailers do not have.
Sorry about my mis-typing in my post. A table saw accident 5 years ago shortend a couple on my right hand- not that I could really type well before!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

my palomino "rack" is rated at 450 lbs .

MUSTANG. where you from that you are buying from cheyenne >?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #37

I am located in LeClaire, Iowa - On the Mississippi River at I-80. I see you are in Lowden. I'm from Waterloo originally and my next home build is in Charles City, Iowa. Cheyene has been good to me since I purchased my first one from them in 2006 and they fulfilled all they said they would without and problems or hassles, from sales to service.
I was looking also at a Starcraft Lexion 359 BH from another local dealer but I got 10 times the runaround from them on not knowing their products- or lying about them. The internet is fantastic for learning about products. They also had me talking with 4 different people, neither one really seemed to want to answer questions or return calls. I also found out from another Iowa Lexion dealer that that line is going to be discontinued. I got more straight talk about a product that had not been built yet than answers from a floorplan that was on the Starcraft dealers lot. I would think with the RV industry the way it has been, one would follow up timely to gain sales.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #38

RV Dawg

We have been advised by a dealer that the 385 is 41' long and comes in at 12,200 without the generator. I think that the generator is around 450 lbs.

Hope this helps.

I have also seen some pictures of the non-kitchen side of the bunkhouse bunk and sofa. Hoping to see some living area shots soon.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #39

Has anyone got one yet

Just wondering if anyone has gotten their 385 yet and what the general feeling is. Are they good quality.
Costanzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #40

385 & Backup Cameras

We are waiting for our 385. We ordered ours about 4 weeks ago. We have not heard anything from the dealer as to where we stand in line. We were told 6 -8 weeks with a week of transport. We hope to see it sometime in June. Eagerly anticipating and thinking of a list of additions, wants and potential needs.

One need that I am anticipating is a backup camera to put on the unit (wireless of course.) Anybody had any experience with backup cameras?