Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Columbus quality

We are going to start our 1st yr of Snowbirding next winter and are looking to upgrade our 5er. Lots of great new rear living floorplans with the bigger residential showers coming out so our prospect list keeps growing. Silverback 33RL, Mountaineer 331RLT, Avalanche 343RS and even a new Durango model. All websites claim they have the best quality of course but my DW has her heart set on the Columbus 320RS and from perusing various forums the quality complaints seem to be less than some other models (although could be due to being a new product).
I called up the salesman who sold us our current Cougar as they also sell the Columbus and was surprised when he told me he couldn't recommend the Columbus as they have had lots of them coming back in for service work. I'm wondering if, given that the Columbus line has only been around for a few years, if the bugs have been worked out.
Now we are back to square one and leaning to the Avalanche (love the drop frame). Just wanted to throw this out there to get some feedback, specifically on the Columbus, as well as any experience on the other brands we are considering. My main concern is quality construction and durability for longer trips.

Bruce & Lori, both Retired, Charli (60 lb lap dog)
2011 F350, KR, 6.7L PSD, 6 1/2' box
2015 Mountaineer 331RLT
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Our 320 RS has been wonderful. No major problems and easy to work on for the minor stuff. I find it is the best use of space and floorplan (325 would have been the one if WE would have seen) great product. We put over 7000 mi on it last year and will be over 9K mi this year.

Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
we're impressed with the Columbus quality and fit/finish, for its price point.
and i've read nearly all Columbus posts and the overhelming majority are very happy with theirs.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Lots of facebook groups are popping up for RV related things. I noticed there is one for Sabre and another one for Columbus. If Sabre had a layout like the Columbus 320RS with the movable island and big shower, it may be the perfect 5th wheel for me. Columbus has nicer woodwork inside but costs more also. There are so many brands and models to choose from it gets overwhelming for me.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Sabre has a Facebook group? I hadn't been able to find anything.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
We love our Columbus, all of my problems have been either dealer related and a result of my break-in and theft. We still love it!!
Scott & Vicki
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2013 Columbus 295RL
Camped 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016, Camped 69 nights, 25 Nights Reserved
SYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sabre has a Facebook group? I hadn't been able to find anything.
I couldn't find anything on a Sabre Facebook group via Google search either. But then I went to Facebook and it shows up instantly in the search field at the top of the page.

To help you out, here is the shortcut.

All these RV forums that are out there nowadays has my cabin fever at an all time high now. This winter is a bad one! Poor snowbirds are thinking DANG, didn't drive far enough south.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
Now Camping Year-Round!!
We have the Columbus 325 model with the outside kitchen. We got it last April and the only thing wrong with it was both A/C's did not work. That was not the fault of Palomino, but of Dometic. Forest River replaced both while we were at the rally in Goshen and now all is well. I would not trade my Columbus model for another, nor do I wish I had a different brand. It is an awesome trailer with lots of great features, fit and finish. We went to the Toronto RV show recently and the only thing it did was reinforce that we have the best 5'er for us!!
Cathy & Fraser, Ontario, Canada

2009 Wildcat 29RLBS (2008-2013 traded in on Columbus)
2011 Rockwood Roo 21RS (Bought brand new in Spring 2015-?)
2013 COLUMBUS 325RL (2013-? Currently parked in Florida)
2011 Ford Super Duty Diesel King Ranch
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
It's nice to hear all the positive stories about the Columbus. It certainly confirms the research I had done. I know there were some issues with the brakes (grease from axles) but overall mostly positive. I would think that many of the issues would have been due to the Columbus being a new line and would expect many bugs to have been worked out by now. After all, the Sabre, another Palomino line, also seems to get pretty good comments.
Makes me wonder about the salesmans comments and his motivation. Will talk to him at an RV show in a couple of weeks and get more details. Perhaps they have decided to stop carrying that line and is steering me to alternatives they are selling. He was recommending the Cougar and Crusader, both nice units but based on my research they don't have the quality upgrades that the Columbus has. He also recommended the Mountaineer, which they also carry, which has the dropped frame and many other upgrades but my DW really, really likes the Columbus decor and layout. Happy wife, happy life, will probably be the decision maker.
We would really like to eliminate carpet to simplify cleanup and dust (we have a dog who perpetually sheds). Does anyone know if the vinyl flooring can be ordered in the bedroom as well as the bath, kitchen and l/r.
We are off to the Minneapolis RV show in a couple of weeks and then a few more shows closer to home later in Feb and March.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Bruce & Lori, both Retired, Charli (60 lb lap dog)
2011 F350, KR, 6.7L PSD, 6 1/2' box
2015 Mountaineer 331RLT
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
We also have a dog that sheds, that's one reason DW likes our Columbus. The central vacuum system works great and is ideal for picking up dog hair, even
In the bedroom carpet. Besides, I hate walking on a cd hard floor when
I get out of bed.

2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote