Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Columbus tire carrier

Travelling with big dogs requir stops in opportune spots. Well I pulled off at a abandoned building with a deeper than thought mud hole. As a result the tire carrier was damaged and almost lost the tire if an alert driver warned me. At this point I wish Columbus had put in front of the axles where if would be higher up. Has anyone had this issue and I hope this puts other Columbus owner's on notice.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #2

We all but ripped ours off getting our brand new 365 onto our seasonal site. Level road, uphill driveway to site. Bad combination. Damaged it to the point where it needs to be replaced/removed before we hit the road again. It's a nice, clean look having the spare underneath, but not practical unless you always pull into ideal spots, which we all know isn't always the case. I'm not so sure I'll replace it with another under-chassis mounted carrier. Seriously thinking of putting on a rear bumper mounted carrier, or just carry the spare in the truck bed. The factory spare carrier is mounted so low, I'll bet A LOT of them get damaged.
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #3

My neighbor moved his to the front of his 365 and it now works well. His was hitting when backing in his driveway

2015 Sabre 36QBOK-7
2007 F-350 Diesel FX-4
China Grove,NC
Pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #4

We had problems with our 365 and eventually mounted it on the rear bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #5

A bunch of people have moved the spare tire. All kinds of methods up to and including putting it in basement storage area, front storage area, truck bed, etc. Get creative and just do it. The longer your RV is, the worse the problem will be. Even the shorter 320 model has this issue.

Also, the mount for it gets jammed up, rusted out, etc. so you can't get tire down is another complaint. Even if it didn't hit via bottoming out when driving, you still have another problem of a crappy mount for when you have a flat/blown out tire.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

I recently knocked our spare off, when backing the trailer out of our back yard. It requires backing off the curb (no driveway, yet) and when it came down, the spare hit the street and popper off. Fortunately it did not damage the carrier mount or winch cable mechanism.

Needless to say, I will be relocating it, just not sure where yet.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #7

We pulled up onto the scales and felt it drag. Luckily the GF looked that way when we went into get the slip. The tire was laying on the ground. Now to figure out where to carry it seeing the mount is bent.
firezapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #8

Seems to be a common occurrence, especially with the longer models. There have been some with this problem over on the FB site. Maybe Columbus will see these posts and make a change. In the mean time, you might consider relocating the spare to the bed of your TV.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #9

I hope Palomino reads this also and comes up with a solution. This can become a serious situation. Appreciate the other posts.

Sammy
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus, tire