Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #1

Question Columbus tire question

The tires on the unit we are looking at buying are 235/30/r16 we want to trade the tires off our current unit because they are brand new and Good Year, they are 235/80/r16, not knowing a whole lot about tires from what I've researched it shows the middle number is only the aspect ratio of the side walls. Is there any reason these would not work? Sorry friends, I have a lot of questions before going thru with this purchase.

Thank you,
aezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

No problem with the questions. I had and still have lots. Are you sure what you are getting are 235/30R16. We have a 320RS on order and it comes with the 235/80R16 from the factory. Can you double check the number on the one you are getting? Are you ordering the trailer or is it at the dealers lot?
Old 02-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

We are buying off the lot, that was my hubby reading the numbers off to me, so it very well could've been 80 instead of 30, that never registered but now it makes total sense. Thank you for pointing that out.
aezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #4

Not a problem. We have ours ordered and to be built in 2 weeks. I have looked at tires and everything I can about the 5th wheel. Wearing out google searching for anything on Columbus 320RS.

Enjoy your new rig. It is always exciting to get something new.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #5

How old are the tires that you want to trade out? I believe that these RV companies buy their tires and wheels in large lots and put them on all of their units no matter what size. The Goodyears are good if they are not too old. Too old is from 4 to 6 years. I plan to change out the wheels and tires on my unit this spring. I don't trust these factory installed tires. I am going to put on GoodYear tires. I had $18000 worth of damage on my previous unit from tire problems.

Okie
08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure it cannot be 30, please look again.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #7

I think it may say on the sticker on the side of the camper where the weight ratings are. I'll bet it's 80 not 30.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #8

Just replaced tires on my 320RS. Went with the Michelin Rib XPS245/85/16. They are supposed to be a commercial grade tire and many people have gone with a LT tire to replace the china made tires. That said, the most important thing you as an owner can do is NEVER move your trailer before making sure you have 80 PSI in your tires. Also, check your lug nuts when you are traveling. I check mine while the fuel pump is running. You would be surprised at how a lug will need loosen over time.
Gtmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtmcbride View Post
Just replaced tires on my 320RS. Went with the Michelin Rib XPS245/85/16. They are supposed to be a commercial grade tire and many people have gone with a LT tire to replace the china made tires. That said, the most important thing you as an owner can do is NEVER move your trailer before making sure you have 80 PSI in your tires. Also, check your lug nuts when you are traveling. I check mine while the fuel pump is running. You would be surprised at how a lug will need loosen over time.
When replacing Original Equipment ST tires you have to be careful what brand and type of tire you use as a replacement.

Although the XPS Rib is an excellent tire for trailer service, Michelin will not warranty any of their LT tires when used as replacements for ST tires.
Here are a couple of Michelin references.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/how-to-choose-tires.html#tab-4

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/MI0915.pdf

p.s. All LT245/75R16E tires require a minimum rim width of 6.5".

Tags
columbus, tire