Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Not-so-Junior Member

Columbus Transport issues

While we were anxiously awaiting the delivery of our Columbus 295RL by the end of January, we called and the factory was running behind, while that was frustrating for us as we had a pre-paid campout planned for Feb. 8th. We were patient and the factory was only 9 days late rolling it off the line.

Then the worst began... the transport driver picked up our unit on Friday Feb. 1st for the 2300 mile trip to Temecula, Califonia. That should be a 4 to 5 day trip. This would allow the dealer plenty of time to prep and do the PDI for us on Friday Feb 8th... IF the unit arrived on Tuesday or Wednesday as was expected.

Well that never happened. The transport driver actually took 8 days to do the trip and when it finally arrived on the following Friday the 8th, it was damaged and full of rust and debris.

The damage consisted of scratches and scrapes on the front and rear end caps, there's a broken roller on one of the kitchen slide. The two left slide toppers were both torn and roller tubes damaged because the driver hit a tree or some other overhang. The undercarriage looks like an older trailer now with rust and debris everywhere.

There's no excuse for this damage or the length of time that the driver took to get to California. He probably had other business to take care of on the trip and probably took the trailer to parts unknown to accomplish that.

All that week I kept track of the weather along the southern route (I-40) that should be used during this time of year. There were no major storms and there wasn't any snow, so the damage wouldn't have happened on that route.

Just to comment on the time issue... the same dealer had another Columbus delivered from the factory that left the factory the day after ours left and it arrived at the dealer the day before ours arrived. Where did our driver go during those extra days? I got underneath that other unit and it was clean and looked new, as it should.

Because of our time constraints we took the trailer on Saturday the 9th to give it a shakedown and to salvage one night of our pre-paid campout. In hindsight we shouldn't have accepted it, however when the dealer gets it back to repair the damages I will request that it be properly detailed and cleaned, maybe they can get the rust and debris removed.

We are upset and irritated about this whole ordeal. We ordered a 60k recreational vehicle and had it built the way we wanted it, only to have it come in late and looking like a used 5th wheel.

1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #2

That is a sad story. Get that trailer back there ASAP. Hope it all works out to your satisfaction.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #3

Sorry about you ordeal. Hopefully your dealer will do the right thing.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
akstarret

You are right it should not have taken 8 days. Being a transport driver I can make it from Ontario Canada to California LA in less than 5 days following the hours of service rules for a single driver. Even with a 34 hour reset it still should have only taken him 6 days. So very good question where did he go.
16K Superglide
starret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

You shouldn't have accepted it - niether your dealer or FR would have held you liable for the rejected unit. I know you were pressed for a trip but not knowing what other issues occurred in the long trip to Cali would make me nervous.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Not-so-Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starret View Post
You are right it should not have taken 8 days. Being a transport driver I can make it from Ontario Canada to California LA in less than 5 days following the hours of service rules for a single driver. Even with a 34 hour reset it still should have only taken him 6 days. So very good question where did he go.
Thank you for the insight. I knew that the 8 days was way out of line.

I think he hit some back roads too, since there is Styrofoam debris from the ceiling everywhere... indicating lots of bumping and jolting. There's Styrofoam chunks in the AC ceiling vents and there's Styrofoam balls in all of the ceiling light fixtures as well as the outside scare lights. (The roof/ceiling is constructed of laminate wood with Styrofoam sandwiched in between.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020915.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	24431  
1952 Blonde Nurse
Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

Wow - I've never seen foam debris of that size in any of the previous 3 campers I've owned....
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #8

Bill After looking at the photos that you posted on the Columbus RV Group I don,t think I would ask for repairs but a complete new unit
Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

I really think Columbus needs another building to GA these trailers,one bay is not enough with the volume the are trying to turn out,wakeup Columbus you you are getting a bad reputation,you build a beutiful 5th wheel but your quality is starting to suck.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
Not-so-Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
You shouldn't have accepted it - niether your dealer or FR would have held you liable for the rejected unit. I know you were pressed for a trip but not knowing what other issues occurred in the long trip to Cali would make me nervous.
In hindsight we probably shouldn't have accepted it. The more we look at it the more we find. Forest River says that they will make it right and we will love it, I hope that's so.

Like you says, what other issues are going to come up, like today I discovered the the kitchen slide-out is also misaligned and has been chaffing the Beau floor, and additional debris coming is from the ceiling.

We would love to just get a replacement trailer and a fresh start, however we don't want to wait another 8 weeks and then possibly end up with another unit like this with a bunch of problems. On the other hand we're not looking forward to having this one repaired and dealing with the dealer and factory to get it done.

If they could get us a replacement within a couple of weeks we would be open to that. We have some long-planned trips in March to Death Valley and to the coast and we don't want to be without an RV for those trips.

There are quite a number of problems with the unit that we received, too many to list here... I've posted some pictures online of most of them, you can view them at this link:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10344...313?banner=pwa

1952 Blonde Nurse