Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Columbus Warranty

Have read in other forums that some manufacturers warranty will not cover their 5th wheel if it is being used as a fulltimer. Is anybody aware of how this applies to the Columbus models. I have been "seriously" considering a 320RS but have been also thinking of the 365.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

Good Question

I have heard that allegation on the video of a competing fifth wheel, however, Forest River was not mentioned by name. The actual warranty information is very limited and don't have it with me.

From personal experience, doubt that this is true. I bought a Flagstaff Ocotber 2011 and traded for a Columbus last month. Even though my Flagstaff Extended warranty stated, "Not Transferrable", the Flagtstaff advisor got with the Forest River overall advisor and made it happen, transfering the Extended Warranty to my Columbus. Pretty good sign considering he had nothing to gain and gives the appearance that the company understands customer service.

He gave me the Palomino Warranty Advisor's name and number, I would suggest calling him to confirm. If you do, please post your results. His name is Bryan Randle, 574-821-1487.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #3

Rep

Thanks for the info I will call in the morning
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

Smile Forest River Customer Service

I have had occasions to communicate with Bryan Randle by phone and email this summer. This guy is super! He will answer you immediately and he is VERY helpful. He helped me get the right information on the extended year warranty for $150 & helped me with warranty reimbursement when I had a problem in Alaska and couldn't find an authorized dealer. Let him know what is going on, communicate! He wants to be of service and has been awesome to work with. He exemplifies why we buy Forest River products.

Lonnie James
Columbus 320 RS (05/10/12)
warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

Yea, Bryan Randle has been most helpful to us. Great guy.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Trailer Trash

Assuming anybody with a 320RS has read the owner's manual..................
It states full time camping will shorten life of basically everything in the camper. Things are designed for occasional use. Also seem to remember full time voids warranty claims but I would have to read it again. The dealer/factory would have to prove your usage to void a claim. No hour meters installed on campers, yet.

Full time is subject to interpretation. 6 months out of a year is not full time as 1/2 of the year you are not living in your camper. 3/4 of the USA is too cold to camp in the winter anyway. You retired snow birds are another story however.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #7

I agree joelek. Full time use of anything shortens the life, even your stick built homes. We are full timers but I have yet to have anyone ask me about it. We just returned from 3 months in Alaska and the Columbus held up well. Will it hold up over time as well as one used only occasionally? Probably not! However, we bought it to live in, travel in, and to use and enjoy. So far, we are very satisfied with what we got for what we paid.
warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Trailer Trash

Alaska in the summer, you guys are killing me. Congrats you lucky ducks. I could live out of my Columbus no problem. Heck they are nicer than most people's stick homes. The only appliance I would be using full time is the fridge. Everything else is occasional use even if you lived out of it. When the furnace or AC is on all the time, that's God's way of telling you find a different location, state, region.

It's Labor day weekend in a couple days. Enjoy the last weeks of the season! For us stuck in the snow belt, Pink RV gallon jugs will be the flavor of the day before you know it.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote