Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
SYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Burton, MI.
Posts: 4,499
Columbus Wet Carpeting after Travel in Rain

I have a question, after attending the Tadpole Rally in Indiana, it made me think why not ask. I have had my Columbus since 2012, while traveling down there in the rain, this was the first time my carpeting was soaking wet in 5 years. The factory had just put new in it back in January. What I was wondering is there some kind of seal that they forgot to replace when replacing the carpet, like I said this is the first time I have ever had wet carpet in it. The carpet in the slides was dry, but the carpet on the floor was soaked. There was so much condensation when I opened it up all the appliances had to be wiped down, the mirrors cleaned etc. Any help in this matter would be great. Thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
Scott & Vicki
2018 Silverado 3500HD Dually 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2018 Columbus 366RL 1492 Edition
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 47 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
I have a question, after attending the Tadpole Rally in Indiana, it made me think why not ask. I have had my Columbus since 2012, while traveling down there in the rain, this was the first time my carpeting was soaking wet in 5 years. The factory had just put new in it back in January. What I was wondering is there some kind of seal that they forgot to replace when replacing the carpet, like I said this is the first time I have ever had wet carpet in it. The carpet in the slides was dry, but the carpet on the floor was soaked. There was so much condensation when I opened it up all the appliances had to be wiped down, the mirrors cleaned etc. Any help in this matter would be great. Thanks in advance.
Sye, Ill take a stab at this being it happened to me, but not that bad as yours. There are only two things that I know of that could cause that. One is the bottom rubber wipe on the slide, the second is that they install a hard rubber 45 degree piece maybe 6x6 in the corners of the slides. You don't know it messing when the slide is out but if you see daylight in the corner when they are closed yours fell off as mine did. The tire will spin water up and come into the trailer, It took along time for me to find that. Being your slide rides over the carpet mine where also dry but my carpet would get wet...Like I said just a guess but I would check those two areas.... PS: good seeing you again at the Rally. It rained so much my wife had to go buy MUCK BOOTS.
__________________

__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,270
Find a nozzle for your garden hose that disperses the spray as close to rain as you can find, then hit that front edge of the slide with that from a slight angle. Start at the top and work down until you find it. If not there try and spray up against it from the wheels. Those types of leaks can be a tough nut to crack. That might not even discover it due to the air pressure changes when your at speed.

I think one thing is certain. If it never leaked before its most likely something they did when they replaced the carpet.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:51 AM   #4
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
SYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Burton, MI.
Posts: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Sye, Ill take a stab at this being it happened to me, but not that bad as yours. There are only two things that I know of that could cause that. One is the bottom rubber wipe on the slide, the second is that they install a hard rubber 45 degree piece maybe 6x6 in the corners of the slides. You don't know it messing when the slide is out but if you see daylight in the corner when they are closed yours fell off as mine did. The tire will spin water up and come into the trailer, It took along time for me to find that. Being your slide rides over the carpet mine where also dry but my carpet would get wet...Like I said just a guess but I would check those two areas.... PS: good seeing you again at the Rally. It rained so much my wife had to go buy MUCK BOOTS.
I can see daylight at the corners of the slide, what does this rubber piece look like??

It was great seeing you again and finally meeting your wife.
__________________
Scott & Vicki
2018 Silverado 3500HD Dually 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2018 Columbus 366RL 1492 Edition
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 47 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:53 AM   #5
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
SYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Burton, MI.
Posts: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Find a nozzle for your garden hose that disperses the spray as close to rain as you can find, then hit that front edge of the slide with that from a slight angle. Start at the top and work down until you find it. If not there try and spray up against it from the wheels. Those types of leaks can be a tough nut to crack. That might not even discover it due to the air pressure changes when your at speed.

I think one thing is certain. If it never leaked before its most likely something they did when they replaced the carpet.
That's what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the hose idea to help me find it
__________________
Scott & Vicki
2018 Silverado 3500HD Dually 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2018 Columbus 366RL 1492 Edition
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 47 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 9,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
I can see daylight at the corners of the slide, what does this rubber piece look like??

It was great seeing you again and finally meeting your wife.
It's a corner piece that screws to the frame. It 90 degrees in the back and rounded in the front, crawl under the trailer with the slide open it separate from from the sweep at the end. That is where your tire is throwing water up into the trailer and then your carpet becomes a wick. My dealer could not get it. I had to get it from the factory. Just two screws hold it up. If you can see daylight in the corner with slide closed, that is where you getting water, Those damn screws rust out, my trailer is the same year 2012.... PS: see you in Goshin.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,024
Pressure test it (blower door test) or take it (UG) to Camping world and have them do a Seal Tite Leak Test. If water is getting in, air will get out....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: crete,il /texas
Posts: 488
If the carpet is wet by the wheels on mine the slide seal was compromised by a cord that runs to the slide had dropped down and causing the leak. Good luck
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 3
Bought a used 2014 had the same problem bought it when I got home had some water on the floor looked like it may have been pushed in from the tires will have to see if I have the corner pieces. They do have a rubber piece in the corner but no hard plastic pieces.
__________________

Scruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
columbus

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.