Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #1

Columbus's odd floor/roof R-values

We all know that RV insulation values are like wisps of smoke; the only thing helpful about that is that it makes relative comparisons easy, if all MFGs play the same game with the calculated R-value of radiant technology insulation, for example.

In the course of shopping, prior to my Columbus order, it was generally just a matter of a little digging to find out how the model came up with its advertised numbers; e.g., the Columbus big brother, Sanibel (which, I must admit, seems to be worth the extra money above a Columbus)---R-14 batten + R-38 radiant in the roof, to get to it's advertised R-52 roof value. Even Palomino Sabre Platinum, with radiant package option, tells you how the total R-value is calculated.

I've placed my Columbus order, so I'm past the fail-safe point, but I never did get an answer, nor could I figure out 2 things....1)Why Columbus seems to be alone (I shopped Keystone, FR, KZ, Jayco, Heartland) in having a (nominal, at least) higher floor than roof R-value, when it's commonly accepted than roof 'seepage' is 50%, floors 25%, and 2) What combination of batten, foam, or radiant make up the advertised R-30 roof/R-32 floor.

Did anyone ever find out?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Commercial Member

They have laminated floors and roofs. Basically same construction as the sidewalls.

There is no batted fiberglass in it...it is all block foam.

That is what helps keep the weights lower than the others...Sanibel included, for the same length trailers.

Honestly, the difference is undetectable, when you have thin rubber seals at all the slides that are keeping the temps in check there.

(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #3

Congrats on your Columbus order.... now the waiting begins!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Trailer Trash

There is no water in the roof to freeze. Columbus is setup to take care of freezing water in plumbing and tanks with sealed and heated underbelly and holding tanks heaters.

You already know the insulation in these is minimal for weight savings. The AC and furnace take care of maintaining temps. AC works well to 95 degrees and furnace works well to 25 degrees. If it's hotter or colder than that, do you really want to be camping. Yes it got over 95 degrees in MN last summer with record heat for many days. The AC works just fine, but over 95 and under 25, the systems are stretching their capabilities to keep up. I don't have the bedroom AC so that would be a worthwhile addition if your camp area is hot all the time. MN always cools down at nite so bedroom/bathroom is comfy at sleep time.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
They have laminated floors and roofs. Basically same construction as the sidewalls.

There is no batted fiberglass in it...it is all block foam.

That is what helps keep the weights lower than the others...Sanibel included, for the same length trailers.

Honestly, the difference is undetectable, when you have thin rubber seals at all the slides that are keeping the temps in check there.

Is it Dow blue foam? Additionally, the Palomino website itself says the floor has some Astro-foil insulation. From the website, one might infer that the roof is ALL block foam, and the floor is ALL Astro-foil.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Factory Rep

We use astro foil insulation layer on top of the under belly, then we use double spun fiberglass 2 layers insulation on top of that. The actual floor you walk on is laminated with block foam insulation in it. In addition we put heat blanket 12 volt on all tanks. Also heat vented to underbelly.
The roof at the peak is 5/12 inches of block foam
All of our end walls are laminated like our sidewalks with block foam. Many or should I say Most so called laminated units don't laminate their end walls. Nor their roof and floor.
Chris
Old 02-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

without heat... today is 52* outside... cloudy all day and the ES is 54* inside!! Not bad at all!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
We use astro foil insulation layer on top of the under belly, then we use double spun fiberglass 2 layers insulation on top of that. The actual floor you walk on is laminated with block foam insulation in it. In addition we put heat blanket 12 volt on all tanks. Also heat vented to underbelly.
The roof at the peak is 5/12 inches of block foam
All of our end walls are laminated like our sidewalks with block foam. Many or should I say Most so called laminated units don't laminate their end walls. Nor their roof and floor.
Chris
OK; thanks for that...it's more than I had. From what I already know, I'm presuming then, that the floor astro-foil is R-14, added to R-14 (since you said 2 layers) fiberglass, and the block foam in the laminated floor is R-4=total advertised R-32 in floor. The advertised R-30 of the roof is apparently all from block foam, measured, as everyone does, at roof's peak.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
without heat... today is 52* outside... cloudy all day and the ES is 54* inside!! Not bad at all!!!
Only 54?....Then you two better get down to some man-woman bidness...heavy breathing alone should get it up to at least 60 in there....ha!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #10

it sits empty and alone.... with pink juice running through the lines...... I can't wait to flush the system and hitch up and GO GO GO