first off, thank you for the support. its always good to have someone to bounce ideas off off etc. I would like to consider myself extremely handy but have had "shocks" with electrical. seems my only option at this point is to kill all of the power, disconnect battery and yank the thing out to see what I am dealing with. I guess my worry is with the bundle of all the wires, and my knowledge of typical wiring, I can't see this thing just magically pulling out and being easy to replace.
Here is a link to a picture of my actual unit