Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
"On the road again"

Corps of Engineers Parks

I may be the "elder statesman" here (62 years old) - but, I thought I'd pass along a note about the "America the Beautiful Senior Pass". This is a pass issued for National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands areas, but it's honored by the Corps of Engineers and gives you half-price camping at their RV locations.

On our return trip from the Texas Coast last week, I made reservations at a COE park a bit over half-way home. We had a lakeside lot at Lake Whitney with 50 Amp electricity...and the cost for the overnight stay was $10.00.

True...most of their parks don't have park cable or sewer (they do have a dump station), but for a weekend trip on the lake - it's a bargain!!

To get the Sr. Pass you have to be 62 years old and I believe it's unlimited on how often it can be used. I purchased mine for $10.00 cash at the Padre Island National Seashore, but they can also be purchased online for an additional $10.00 I think it is.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #2

My wife got ours about 8 years ago, we use it at a nearby COE park and it has paid for it's self many times over. We have also used it at several National Parks. Most camping is 50% off and most National Parks entrance fees are little or nothing. A great deal.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Although I am not old enough to get said discount we stay at a few
corps camp ground along the great Mississippi and they are some of
the nicest places to stay.
one for example has super wide level paved spots.
no leveling required!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #4

DH has one and it has saved us $100s. Not only do you get discounts on campgrounds but free entry to National Parks. The downside is that you have to be umm..... errrr...... SIXTY freakin TWO & older to take advantage of them!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
DH has one and it has saved us $100s. Not only do you get discounts on campgrounds but free entry to National Parks. The downside is that you have to be umm..... errrr...... SIXTY freakin TWO & older to take advantage of them!
If (OLD) people have young people in the vehicle they (young) people get the same benefits as the (OLD) people! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

I love having the America the Beautiful Pass. I'm using it again tomorrow at Carlyle Lake, 4 nights with electric for a total cost of $36. Then on Sunday we are moving over to one of the full hookup sites for 2 more nights for another $26. What a bargain.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #7

My wife has one, and we take full advantage everywhere we can. We spend most of our camping nights at CoE parks. They are quite nice and around here they are upgrading to sewer at the more popular ones.

Youroo is correct, if going to a National Park item everyone in the group gets in for free.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If (OLD) people have young people in the vehicle they (young) people get the same benefits as the (OLD) people! Youroo!!

I'm one of the not-yet-old-enuff people (for a couple of more years anyway) and think it's great that us "youngins" get the benefits too!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

I had the paperwork filled out for mine before I hit the 62 mark. After my birthday, it went in the mail, cost me $20.00. I will regroup that back on the next trip to a COE campground. We have several in our area here in Middle Tennessee. My DW said she had never seen anyone so proud to turn 62. Just one of the things you get for turning old.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote