Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kteamracing View Post
When we saw the Puma 295bhss in Iowa for $20K we decided it was definatley the way to go.

I did add a hitch to the back and a rear view camera already.
First off, you got a screaming deal on yours, I definitely paid more than that for mine. CONGRATS!

Modifications: What kind of hitch did you put on the back and how did you mount it? Are you using it to tow another trailer, or for bikes, etc?

Also, what did you use for your rear view camera?

So far the only modifications I have done were a vent cover over the bath vent so we can leave it open in the rain and a set of skid wheels on the back so we don't rip the rear stairs off when we leave parking lots with the big dips in them. My brother in law just replaced his rear steps for that very reason.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #22

Kayaks would be tough. I've been working on getting 5 bicycles mounted so I don't have to put them inside, but at least I could mount them in front of the truck if I can't do anything else. We pull a double Jet Ski trailer behind ours sometimes, and I have considered modifing the trailer to be able to add the bikes to it.
kteamracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #23

Modifications: What kind of hitch did you put on the back and how did you mount it? Are you using it to tow another trailer, or for bikes, etc?

Also, what did you use for your rear view camera?

We pull a double Jet Ski trailer with 2 skis. The hitch I put on is one that clamps over the rear bumper.. I have it straddling the bumper support from the frame that is closest to the stairs. I have been concerned about the bumper welds cracking (but it hasn't yet) so I am currently making a plate that will attach under the U bolts and weld into the bumper support and go back and tie into the frame. My father in law pulls a 17 foot boat behind his with the same mount on the bumper and has never had issues, but I always feel like it is just a matter of time be he does with out adding some re-enforcement.

The Camera is a mix of parts from Amazon. A monitor that goes on top of the rear view mirror ($40), a very small camera ($20), and a wireless transmitter and reciever ($20). I mounted the camera to a plastic condiut box and used silicone to stick it to the back of the camper above and to the right of the rear door. Then I ran plastic wire cover down the back along the edge fo the door frame to get under the camper. I ran plastic conduit along the outside of the frame to the front of the camper and tied all my wiring in up at the battery area. I do have about $50 in wire and conduit. I put the transmitter on the pin box. This way it is only about 5 feet from the reciever in the truck. It works really good, but I may look for a different camera that doesn't try to view so close. I can clearly see my Jet Ski trailer, but by the time I see a car behind that it is pretty close.
kteamracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #24

Where does everyone carry their spare tire on their camper. I have the spare tire mount on the bumper and was wondering if anyone created a mount in a different location. It takes away the space on the back for bikes or kayaks.

I really don't want to have to remember to throw the spare in the back of the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins SRW with
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Boetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #25

Some people make a bracket to mount the tire under the trailer. I have considered that, but haven't gotten roundtuit yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boetim View Post
Where does everyone carry their spare tire on their camper. I have the spare tire mount on the bumper and was wondering if anyone created a mount in a different location. It takes away the space on the back for bikes or kayaks.

I really don't want to have to remember to throw the spare in the back of the truck.

I got the BAL hide-a-spare and it works great. Looks good and was less than $100, IIRC. It's doubtful I could have built it for less in supplies than that.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #27

OK, that BAL Hide a spare is awesome. They should be stock!
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingwilliamsons View Post
OK, that BAL Hide a spare is awesome. They should be stock!
I agree. Not sure why manufacturers insist on sticking the tire on the back when for the same money they could put it under and leave the bumper open for storage.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #29

Yes, that hide-a-spare is exactly what I need. There should be plenty of room under the front to put the spare tire and clean up the back. Thanks for the suggestion.

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
Old 11-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #30

Just 2of us and we are short trip campers, save 2 or 3 week long trips. I just put mine in the front under belly storage area. Even with a rubber lining, it slid in fairly easy and should be easier to get at than slide outs. That's just us.
greyhumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #31

Has anyone purchased a cover for their 295bhss? I purchased an adco cover for it and finally got it put on this weekend. I am not to happy with the overall fit because the sides are cut for the taller sided fifth wheels. I messed with it for a couple of hours and got it somewhat situated on there. For the money I have invested, I am going with 'better than sitting out in the open' but I am hoping it doesn't cause any damage with as loose as it is. Hopefully by winter next year I can find building to store it in.

Just got me wondering if anyone else had any luck with a different cover.

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
Old 12-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #32

I did the same as you and had the same issues. I think the only way around it would be to have a custom cover built.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #33

Thanks for the reply. My cover got good test last night with the storms that came through but it seemed to do ok. I was looking at custom covers but when I see the cost associated with them, I am leaning more towards spending a little more to build a carport for it.

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
Old 12-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #34

Oh yeah, the custom covers are SPENDY. We keep our trailer at a storage lot, so the car port is not an option. We only cover it when we are not using it for extended times, so I could not justify the added expense of the custom cover. So far the one I have is ok, but if I can find some reasonably priced covered storage I expect we will eventually go that route.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #35

Well, after spending 2 hours getting the new cover on the trailer last weekend and secured to not cause damage to the camper or cover, three trips back to the storage lot to check/adjust the cover from the wind and storms. I got a call from the storage location that I was on the waiting list for covered storage yesterday. I can now put the camper in a 40' foot slot under a roof instead of sitting outside!!! Woohoo!!! Costs me $780 a year but I don't have to worry about it sitting outside taking the weather abuse anymore. Tomorrow I get to find out how hard it is to take the cover off and move it to its new location.

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
Old 10-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #36

I'm a brand new owner of a 2016 295bhss I drove to Walcott Iowa to get mine from California my wife and i along with our 15 month old son ate selling our house and going out on the open road in ours
Hitchweighthamans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
295, puma, outdoor kitchen