Old 08-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Searched on water heater and saw this forum . We are about 4 hrs from dealer and about to head out on week trip to Maine and water heater has started to act up. We generally use electric, which has stopped working. I have reset breaker etc without luck. Used propane one day and then it stopped. I thought maybe because it was a very windy day. We travelled one day and the propane came on last night, however this am propane is not working ( stove etc has propane) any ideas or suggestions?

Just to add we are around night 38 in our new last spring 34 rqts and still love it and layout, however need to add we have continued to have issues like this ( drain blocked with access material, side come loose on bed with staples, moulding lifting etc....about 5 or 6 more) and these are in addition to a roof issue dealer will address in fall. Point being we are very disappointed in final finish quality and workmanship with FR. A would think a extra 6 to 8 hrs in labour and quality checks, plus maybe a few better materials in one or two area would go along way to correct and would not add that much to cost. I for one would gladly pay and extra 3-5 percent for this if it a brand became know for such.

Any ideas on water heater appreciated.

ns-sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
You have reset propane control by turning sw off/on. Tried 12 vdc and 120 limit trips in outside w/h compartment. If you have means to check 120 VAC remove heater element round cover (2 sxrews) and check for full ac, if you have element is NG, buy with socket at home Depot.

VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Defiantly check voltage at electric element for starters.
If power is present then element is bad.
If not there's a breaker tripped or high limit tripped .

Gas option

Try shutting off tanks and then very very slowly open them back up.

Check gas high limit

When you do try gas do you hear the clicking it makes to fire ?

There's a Hw heater trouble shooting guide in the files section of web page upper left hand corner.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
Trailer Trash
The manuals for campers are somewhat generic. When it comes to the appliances, go the manufactures website or do a google search and download the manual for each appliance. The new Sabre 5th wheel has basically the same switch panel as my Columbus.

What I have done while on a road trip is to stop at a FR dealer that sells a camper that is close to my Columbus. Sabre is dang close. How you operate, troubleshoot, repair, etc. is the same on many models that are close. ALL dealers tend to be helpful in their parts and service dept. when you have questions. Get free help from them and return the favor by shopping their parts dept. IF nothiing else buy a 4 pack of rv toilet paper and say thanks. If you have women camping with you, you will always need more toilet paper soon.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Vince / turbo, Herk had moved to plumbing and water heater treads. Thanks for your replies as well. Tried the ac as suggested, basically running on propane for now. Only issue as per below update on plumbing thread is that I seem to have to open both lp tanks as well the dsi has failed a couple times but does work on reset.

As a update the propane continues to generally work, generally as once or twice the dsi lite has come on and I had to rest switch. Maybe this is common on propane side as I have typically used electric. In regards to opening second tank i recall I had to do this in cold weather in the spring for heater. Heater actually would not work one time when one tank was empty.a little troublesome as its means always having to keep both tanks fairly full to insure heat or hot water. Will have dealer check regulator in fall service.
As for the electric have checked best i can, including meter at element( no ac , but breaker is not tripped). Will run on propane until i get to dealer. Thanks again Herk.

ns-sabre is offline   Reply With Quote