Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

Damageing problem to our 2012

SabreSam,
We are in the middle of a 10 wk trip so 1300 miles from home. I have noticed the floor of the kitchen is becoming damaged from the slide going in and out that holds the fridge, stove and sofa. We were told to bring it back to the dealer when we return from this trip to get all the bugs worked out, but I think they would have to replace the floor if this damage continues. What can we do at this point. It's still brand new in our eyes. Am making a list of minor things for when we get back.

Picture attached.

Also a note to other RV'rs we figured out when we wanted to use the electric hot water feature you have to turn on both the outside switch and then the inside switch to get hot water. This is not in any of the manuals. Figureing the in's and outs by ourselves, is part of the adventure I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen-Floor-damage.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	17764  

Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Short of not using the slide I'd suggest calling the dealer or pm-ing sabresam and asking on how to adjust slide up on your particular unit.
You may also ask Sam about the closest dealer to where u are now to get it fixed or atleast adjusted up a hair.

Ron

Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianizon View Post
SabreSam,
We are in the middle of a 10 wk trip so 1300 miles from home. I have noticed the floor of the kitchen is becoming damaged from the slide going in and out that holds the fridge, stove and sofa. We were told to bring it back to the dealer when we return from this trip to get all the bugs worked out, but I think they would have to replace the floor if this damage continues. What can we do at this point. It's still brand new in our eyes. Am making a list of minor things for when we get back.

Picture attached.

Also a note to other RV'rs we figured out when we wanted to use the electric hot water feature you have to turn on both the outside switch and then the inside switch to get hot water. This is not in any of the manuals. Figureing the in's and outs by ourselves, is part of the adventure I suppose.
I had a similar problem with a slide in a Coachmen C. It was caused by a roller under the slide in the stowed position. The vinyl had good memory and would recover in a few hours. If this is similar wonder if a thin piece of sheet metal laid as the slide comes in to cover the spot. When deployed remove and stow the sheetmetal. That should spread the load and stop the denting. Just an idea but should work like large furniture coaster.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU

I had a similar problem with a slide in a Coachmen C. It was caused by a roller under the slide in the stowed position. The vinyl had good memory and would recover in a few hours. If this is similar wonder if a thin piece of sheet metal laid as the slide comes in to cover the spot. When deployed remove and stow the sheetmetal. That should spread the load and stop the denting. Just an idea but should work like large furniture coaster.
Good idea as long as you can hold it there without it moving while slide rolls in .
Hopefully it won't drag it back whilst moving slide back out.
Maybe some red green tape to hold it in place?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Good idea as long as you can hold it there without it moving while slide rolls in .
Hopefully it won't drag it back whilst moving slide back out.
Maybe some red green tape to hold it in place?
Agree with you, appears the roller is operating ok because there is no approach or leaving damage to the floor beyond the dent. While slide is out, I would size the sheet to contact the wheel (mine was 9 or 10" under the slide) and then have it roll onto the sheet with about 12" still showing when the slide is stowed in. Distance to wheel + amount of slide +the 12 inches in. Width would be 2X the wheel length maybe 8x2 16" width this to spread the load and prevent a divot in the shim. When operating you can easily detect the "shim" moving and stop the slide if necessary. I had things get under the moving slide by accident, they get crushed but didn't move. What do ya think? I would not use soft metals like alum or copper, galv steel would work, use pretty heavy gauge but smooth.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Jeffco, MO

Agree about the outside switch on the water heater. While at my last RV park a welcome neighbor came by and wondered why I was using propane for my water heater because he could hear it. Showed me the outside switch and saved me a lot a propane. Dealer did not show me the switch and this was my third camper, the others were automatically switched to electric when hooked up to park power. Agree that Forest River needs to upgrade and specialize their camper manuals. Plan to tell them at the FROG Rally.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianizon
SabreSam,

Picture attached.

Dear customer
Please send me a PM with your full name, vin number and a phone number you can be reached. I will provide the information to my warranty manager. Please....in the future, if you want me to respond, post your question under the ask the Sabre factory rep thread. Or you can send me a PM. This will help me help you faster.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSam View Post
Dear customer
Please send me a PM with your full name, vin number and a phone number you can be reached. I will provide the information to my warranty manager. Please....in the future, if you want me to respond, post your question under the ask the Sabre factory rep thread. Or you can send me a PM. This will help me help you faster.
Dear customer,
I've provided your contact information to my warranty department. Please let the forum members know how we get your issue resolved.

Thanks for being a Sabre owner.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

As to the water heater, if the inside switch is the one with red light light next to it, that is usually propane only. The electric on the outside is electric only. You can run both, and if you have both switches on, you are running both. Go outside and listen for the water to come on propane next time someone else is in the shower. Much slower recovery on electric. As for saving propane, I camped, 2 adults, 70 nights on a 30 pound bottle of propane. Some cooking, not much, furnace a few times, mostly hot water. The newer water heaters don't burn that much.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
As to the water heater, if the inside switch is the one with red light light next to it, that is usually propane only. The electric on the outside is electric only. You can run both, and if you have both switches on, you are running both. Go outside and listen for the water to come on propane next time someone else is in the shower. Much slower recovery on electric. As for saving propane, I camped, 2 adults, 70 nights on a 30 pound bottle of propane. Some cooking, not much, furnace a few times, mostly hot water. The newer water heaters don't burn that much.
On Sabres we have two interior switches one for the gas and one for electric. There is also an override switch for the electric on the water heater. We added the extra interior switch for the electric over a year ago. We had customers that didn't want to run all the way outside to shut off the electric, so we added the interior switch. However the exterior switch overides the interior switch. I hope this clears things up. I do agree that we should have this mentioned in our owners manual.