Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #1

Decided on Columbus F320RS

I just recently (April) retired from the Navy. Wife and I want to travel and enjoy life for a while. So, selling off everything, not sure if we're going to sell or rent out our house. Anyway after looking at numerous models at numerous RV dealers, we have finally found that the Columbus 320RS looks to have the perfect layout and options that we are looking for. So, decided not to look any further. Will be purchasing it out of State (CA) after i set up my address through mail forwarding in SD, will be purchasing it around July. Anyway would like some input or answers from anybody with some knowledge, as we are new to this and plan to live in it Full Time.

A couple of the things that i've read on the internet have brought out a few questions I have as to wether or not it is suitable for full time living in all seasons.

Found an email posted from a sales rep that states that:
- 320RS has 10" frames (everybody seems to recommend 12" for full time living)
- 320RS has 6000LB Axels (people seem to recommend 8000LB Axels)
- Do either of these make much of a difference and which one is better if they do: TrailAir Roto Flex Pin Box and TrailAir Tri-Glide Air Ride.

Also looked up some of the things I will need any other recommendations or suggestions would help or are these pretty decent.

Cummins Onan 5.5 HGJAB-1119 RV QG 5500 5.5kw LP Vapor Generator
Splendide 7100 XC Washer/Dryer

Are there any other bits of information, wisdom, or other considerations that I should be aware of or concerned about?

Thank you all.
tbcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #2

Thank you for your Service!!! Congrats on your Columbus!!! It is a great line!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

Would say that you would definitely want the double pane windows and bedroom AC for fulltiming. Good Luck!
skipperW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

We have the low profile bedroom air and it is great. There are a few other things: 4 or 6 point leveling system. We have the 4 others have the 6..... trail air pin box (wish we had gotten that) You might want the bigger fridge.... we have the standard.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

I think the general feeling for fulltiming units is that a heavier unit is an indication of the manufacturer using better built components, which may be true to a point. The heavier unit obviously requires a heavier frame and higher capacity axles, thus some feel the 12" fraame and the 8K axles are an indicator of a better built unit, which may or may not be true. I guess what I'm saying is that those items would not necessarily be a make or break for me if I was looking for a fulltiming unit, but it is important that the frame and axles be commensurate with the weight.

As to the pin boxes, it's my understanding that the roto-flex offers front to rear cushioning while the tri-glide offers front to rear and up and down cushioning. For the small difference in cost I would go with the tri-glide.
skipperW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #6

First, thank you for your service to our country. Second, welcome to the forum and congrats on your decision to go with the Columbus F320RS, nice floorplan! I also would recommend the dual pane windows. We factory ordered our Sabre with them and they do make a difference.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Trailer Trash

Are you full time living in one spot for a long time or moving rv frequently? How you use your RV will help you decide what to get for features.

The guys that make the 12" frame and 8K axels.......do they ALSO make 10" x 6K setup? If not, now you know why they say go with the bigger is better thinking.

There are plenty of Columbus owners that are full timing in their rigs. Columbus frame and axel issues are not even discussed as problems on this forum that I recall. Creature comforts for actually living in the RV is what I would go for. Then things to make towing nicer/easier would be 2nd.

Columbus shortcomings, hmmm. Heat and cold! They heat up with summer sun and get cold at nite as low R value walls and regular windows do not insulate this unit much. However, the large furnace and main AC do a good job of maintaining temps. 2nd AC in bedroom and dual pane windows would be a plus!

The remote for the fantastic fan works all the way in the bedroom on a 320RS. At nite, I shut all windows and vents. Then open the bedroom two side windows about 2 inches. Then turn on the fantastic fan and it creates a nice gentle breeze accross my head for sleeping. If it rains, the senor really does work to shut down the cover and fan.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #8

12" frames and 8K AXLES are great for heavier rigs, a bit over kill for a 320RS.
We have the Roto Flex pin box options as the Tri Glide was not offered at the time we ordered ours. Either is an improvement over the standard pin box.
We have friends with the combo washer/dryer. They wish they would have purchased seperate units as they can run two loads at once and the drying time seems longer with the combo unit.
I reccommend dual pane windows, front AC, slide toppers, and Strong Arm stabilzers.
Auto leveling systems are a personal choice, as is the larger fridge which also wasn't an option when we got ours.
Enjoy your Columbus.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #9

Congrats tbcollins on the new life journey. We've had our 320rs for 1 year this month,I also agree with the bedroom AC, windows, slide toppers and leveling system. It takes us 10-15 minutes once we decide we are happy with the rv position on the site to be ready to sit under the awning ready to camp. That includes leveling/water & electric hookup/awning out/slides out & island & chairs unbuckled. I wish I was camping now, but the snow is still in the air in NY. Enjoy -we do!
Barpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

We are also wating for delvery on our 320RS i was told that it is on line being built now. might have it by the end of next week. hope so.
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #11

Just picked up my new 320RS last week and using it today for first time. I had the original Trail Air on previous 5er and now I have Tri-Glide. Noticeable smoother ride. 6 way leveling is great, once I figure it out. I like the double frig. Had a 10 CF in old trailer and was afraid the 8CF would be too small. Not a full timer. I like the backup camera. Works great.
fish70mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Grape Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
12" frames and 8K AXLES are great for heavier rigs, a bit over kill for a 320RS.
We have the Roto Flex pin box options as the Tri Glide was not offered at the time we ordered ours. Either is an improvement over the standard pin box.
We have friends with the combo washer/dryer. They wish they would have purchased seperate units as they can run two loads at once and the drying time seems longer with the combo unit.
I reccommend dual pane windows, front AC, slide toppers, and Strong Arm stabilzers.
Auto leveling systems are a personal choice, as is the larger fridge which also wasn't an option when we got ours.
Enjoy your Columbus.
Tend to disagree with your opinion that the 12" frame is overkill. Most 5th wheels are built to the bare minimum limits and with 36' this is a large 5th wheel. When looking at list prices the 365 is not that much more expensive than the32RS.
Let them make a truely outstanding coach and I will be in the market.
Columbus is almost there. It's hard to find fault with what I have seen. The storage of the 365 compared to the 32 is a huge plus IMHO
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #13

I would love to have a 12" frame under my 320RS, but doing so would increase it's weight as well as it's price; both of which I can't afford. With an empty weight of around 11,000# and a GVWR of 14,000#, the current frame works fine. I don't plan on ever seeing anywhere near the 14,000# with mine, in fact, mine isn't even near 12,000# when loaded for travel. I've seen other 14,000# GVWR high line fivers with the same size frame as my 320RS and there still being towed down the highway in one piece!
I inspected the bare frames at the beginning of the assembly line while at both the Columbus plant and the Sabre plant. I was impressed with their construction and welded braces. They're even strong enough to support my M.I.L., which says a lot.
When I win Lotto and can buy a 3500, I would definitely consider a larger fiver, a Columbus, of course!
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish70mg View Post
Just picked up my new 320RS last week and using it today for first time. I had the original Trail Air on previous 5er and now I have Tri-Glide. Noticeable smoother ride. 6 way leveling is great, once I figure it out. I like the double frig. Had a 10 CF in old trailer and was afraid the 8CF would be too small. Not a full timer. I like the backup camera. Works great.
I ordered the 6 way leveling on my unit too; I downloaded the manual, and on the very first page, there is a list of warnings. The first warning is:

"BE SURE TO PARK THE UNIT ON SOLID, LEVEL GROUND"
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
Trailer Trash

If I am on solid AND level ground, why would I need an auto leveler?
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320rs