Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

Do I have a warranty in Canada on a Columbus that I bought in the US.

We were at the RV show in Calgary looking at the Columbus 5th wheel. I've been dealing with a dealer in the US and we're close to putting a deposit down on a 365RL. Anyways when we were talking to the Calgary sales rep he was tellin us that if we bought in the US we wouldn't have any warranty up here in Canada. Has anyone had any experience with this.
Their rv show price on a 365 was $61,900 [ now $65,900 after show price] and I can get the same unit for under $48,000. With the currency exchange, hotels, fuel and RIV fee at the border I've figured it out to $54,500 canadian. So even if they won't honour the warranty I can get a lot of work done for $11,000 difference or even make a 4 hr trip across the border into Montana to a dealership down there.
Hopefully someone has some knowledge on this.
hihocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #2

Why don't you call Forest River and ask.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
DDC

There are quite a few on this forum that purchased from the US, I did look into it to and depending what you are shopping for the savings can be huge, as far as warranty is conceded the company will honour the warranty but the dealers don't want to do the work so you may find you need to contact Forest River and have them find someone in your area to do the work. Still well worth the $11000 savings, Canadian dealers are ripping us off.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Why don't you call Forest River and ask.
I'm actually going to do that [probably closed right now] in the morning. I was just wondering if other Canadians have had trouble getting work done in Canada. I also noted that FR sells an extra year warranty and would that be honored in Canada?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
There are quite a few on this forum that purchased from the US, I did look into it to and depending what you are shopping for the savings can be huge, as far as warranty is conceded the company will honour the warranty but the dealers don't want to do the work so you may find you need to contact Forest River and have them find someone in your area to do the work. Still well worth the $11000 savings, Canadian dealers are ripping us off.
Tell me about being ripped off. We've bought a few vehicles and boats from the US because of the price difference. In 2010 I was looking at 09 Corvettes up here and the best I could get was $55k. I ended up getting one from Texas for $38,000 plus gm will honor the warranty after 6 months. I've also bought 2 boats and used each one for a couple of years and then sold them up here for a small profit. The wifes uncle had a house in Texas that they would winter in every year and then bring home a new boat to sell which would more than pay for their trip.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihocarp View Post
Tell me about being ripped off. We've bought a few vehicles and boats from the US because of the price difference. In 2010 I was looking at 09 Corvettes up here and the best I could get was $55k. I ended up getting one from Texas for $38,000 plus gm will honor the warranty after 6 months. I've also bought 2 boats and used each one for a couple of years and then sold them up here for a small profit. The wifes uncle had a house in Texas that they would winter in every year and then bring home a new boat to sell which would more than pay for their trip.
You want to buy close to home but it feels like we live in a den of thieves.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
WFD

Like DDC says...FR will honor the warranty but the dealers in Canada get so pissed that we are buying in the US that they keep putting you to the back of the line if you need work done. Can be frustrating...but for us it wasn't a deal breaker...the savings was so big that I figured I would take my chances. If you are handy, and you better be if you are RV'ing, many of the US dealers will ship you parts under warranty if its something relatively simple that you can repair yourself.

The savings is quickly getting eaten up right now though with our Canadian dollar that is in a tailspin vs the American dollar.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

Buy the RV in USA and say screw the factory warranty or just use it in USA close to selling dealer for first few months. Later, buy a 3rd party service contract warranty (such as Good Sam) in Canada. Getting it fixed in Canada should be no problem then.

I have no idea on CN rules but it's just a though for you guys trying to find a workaround. It's possible those 3rd party aftermarket warranty contracts would be null and void if RV was purchased in USA. Phone calls are free to make however to find out the rules.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
WFD

when we bought I wasnt too hung up on the warranty...we saved close to 10 grand buying in the US....if I didn't get warranty, I can buy alot of repairs for that price...ended up not needing a thing...plus my thought was...we were buying in the spring, going to use through that first summer and then put it in storage for the winter. When that trailer came out of storage the following spring the warranty was already over, so in our case, the warranty was only going to be for about 6 mths anyhow.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #10

Hiho, I have just bought mine from the US, perfectly ok to do so and yes you are covered. I imported myself and have just registered etc, any questions let me know, I saved $12,000 dollars, even if they did not honor warranty I would do it just because of the savings. NB I am in Calgary too.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #11

and those friggin sales guys, nothing but low life liars... not all, but far too many, scumbags..
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
Old 02-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
Hiho, I have just bought mine from the US, perfectly ok to do so and yes you are covered. I imported myself and have just registered etc, any questions let me know, I saved $12,000 dollars, even if they did not honor warranty I would do it just because of the savings. NB I am in Calgary too.
Thanks I sent you a PM
Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
and those friggin sales guys, nothing but low life liars... not all, but far too many, scumbags..
I hear you. Seems like he'd say anything to get us to buy up here [except lower the price]. Like I've said I've dealt many times with US dealers.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen one Canadian dealer give one guy a hard time about bringing his US purchased trailer in for service work, even paid work like winterizing. So he started going to a different dealer that was more than happy to take his work. They get paid either way for the warranty work, so dealers that give you grief are just throwing a tantrum. Take it to a different guy.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #15

Not sure, but other than the currency exchange isn't the unit covered under NAFTA, and therefore no duty. Depending on the state you can buy it free of state and local tax (US side), if your going to export it to Canada imediately. Check that states state and local tax laws. 11 grand sounds like a no brainer IMO.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #16

I bought in USA and had a water leak. The Surveyor dealers in Canada refused to service my trailer ... because I had bought it in USA. I passed by the factory on my way back from Florida and they fixed it at the factory. I saved 9,000 dollars, that is a lot of money to not save.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #17

You pay the appropriate taxes and import fees at crossing.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #18

Hiho, have not seen PM come through yet, fyi
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
Old 02-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #19

Goomph, if it was brought in to Canada properly, let Surveyor know that a dealer will not service it, they will hear about it. They can play games with you by putting you lower on their priority, but either way they GET PAID to service your unit. What if I moved across country, will the new dealer refuse because I did not buy it there??
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
Old 02-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Hiho, have not seen PM come through yet, fyi
I resent it. Hopefully it works this time

Tags
canada, columbus, warranty