Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #21

I'll do your PDI walk around for $5 and a good cigar; probably better than the one you'll get from them.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #22

You are spending a large amount of your money on something they want you to buy. I assume you both have already agreed on a price. For him to alter the terms of that agreement means that the whole agreement is null and void, therefore, allowing you to renegotiate a price to include the PDI or just walk away. I would also check to see if it is written anywhere that the PDI is included in the purchase price. I would scour the FR site to see if it is there. Show that to your dealer.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttinchief

Tank drain is between tires on the control panel side
I wouldn't pay anything are you kidding. The markup is already built in. Car dealers call it that added destination plus stuff. That's hard to believe. As stated in one of the other reviews you are already paying for it. It's like a car salesman not giving you the breakdown before you drive off. Most Corporate Companies make a dealer do a walk thru so the buyer doesn't break something he knows nothing about and they have to fix.HAHA

Tell them the dealer down the road is doing one for free so you won't be taking theirs off the lot today and will take your financing else were ! See how fast he changes his tune.
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #24

We stayed on our dealers lot for 2 days, AFTER our PDI and they answered any and all questions for 2 days. They also took us for a test drive!!! and we didn't pay for any of that!! GREAT service from our dealer!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #25

Thank you everyday for your responses. I looked over the paperwork we signed and there was nothing about PDI, however it was apparently built into the price that we agreed upon. I didn't know how that price was broken down until they sent me the invoice for the trailer that we saw at the show "like" the one we ordered. That paperwork broke down what was standard and what options were available and how much those options were. They didn't add anything after the contract was signed otherwise I would be canceling the deal. I am getting a decent price compared to out of state, especially when you add on transportation costs. I plan on emailing the dealer the PDI list from this forum that I will follow and will let them know that I expect to find nothing for them to fix, and if there is something wrong it will be fixed before we leave with the trailer. Also going to let them know that it will probably be several hours to fully check out the trailer and it will need to be inside where it is dry and warm and I want the rig to be de-winterized so I can fully check all systems.
And now for my next question. Some dealers are giving a rebate of up to $3,000 (RVW) if you finance through them. At this point I haven't been offered that deal. How many of you have been offered something similar?
Columbus 320RS on order
dan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan747
Thank you everyday for your responses. I looked over the paperwork we signed and there was nothing about PDI, however it was apparently built into the price that we agreed upon. I didn't know how that price was broken down until they sent me the invoice for the trailer that we saw at the show "like" the one we ordered. That paperwork broke down what was standard and what options were available and how much those options were. They didn't add anything after the contract was signed otherwise I would be canceling the deal. I am getting a decent price compared to out of state, especially when you add on transportation costs. I plan on emailing the dealer the PDI list from this forum that I will follow and will let them know that I expect to find nothing for them to fix, and if there is something wrong it will be fixed before we leave with the trailer. Also going to let them know that it will probably be several hours to fully check out the trailer and it will need to be inside where it is dry and warm and I want the rig to be de-winterized so I can fully check all systems.
And now for my next question. Some dealers are giving a rebate of up to $3,000 (RVW) if you finance through them. At this point I haven't been offered that deal. How many of you have been offered something similar?
You should do as most of us did and earth station speaks of. We did the walk thru and stayed at the Dealers overnight and if you have a problem or question they will fix it or answer your question the next day. Then they can show you how to winterized the trailer and you can drive home. None of this is difficult . Some things like the black tank flush lines needed turned around and stuff like that can be fixed. Take your computer because folks on here will probably be more helpful than you might thank that night you stay.
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to ByronCR Send a message via AIM to ByronCR Send a message via MSN to ByronCR Send a message via Yahoo to ByronCR Send a message via Skype™ to ByronCR
I also did my PDI at the dealer and left my trailer at the dealer for a week. They didnt have the custom rail kit I requested to install the 5th wheel hitch, so I did the PDI and gave them a small list of items that needed to be dealt with. This gave them the opportunity to fix everything and gave me a chance to have them fix everything before taking delivery. Not all dealers are open to this, but if they want the sale, they will accommodate a small thing such as that.
ByronCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #28

We love the idea of a sleepover at the dealer, we will definitely be doing that if its allowed. Thanks everyone for your input, this forum is an invaluable resource and a great community of owners.
Tkcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #29

Hi again, I'm Dan747's wife.
Tkcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #30

We got our 320 in Dec and did 4.5 hr PDI. It didn't cost a thing but the time to do it, and I HIGHLY recommend that you take your time and find the, "little things" that you just don't see with the, "stars in your eyes" when buying a new one. Some dealers in So Cal charge for the PDI, ours did not (which was one of the selling points). As for the potable water drain, it is on the "drivers" side, just forward of the front axle. Kinda cheezy, but functional. Remember, take your time on your walk-thru/PDI! We are very happy w/ our new 320 and hope you are as well! Good Luck and happy travels!

Kerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #31
Commercial Member

There are no things such as "factory rebates"...

The discount that RVW offers WHEN you finance through them, is because they will make "back end" money on the loan. They get a "buy rate" from the lender, and any percent they add to that is back end profit.

If their buy rate is 3.49, and add 2%, you pay 5.49%......more than makes up for that "discount".
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Dan,

Financing through the dealer can be a pretty good deal (especially if there is a principle reduction) BUT:

And it is a big BUT:

How is your credit rating?

Can you qualify for a lower interest rate and/or longer (or shorter) terms at your local credit union?

What is the total interest expense? Your best deal is the one with the same term of loan AND the least interest cost over the term of the loan.

If the 3,000 dollar principle reduction comes with an onerous interest rate the savings on the camper can be wiped out by the higher borrowing costs.

I have 3 cool excel spreadsheets that allow you to play with interest rates and terms to decide which financing variables will cost you the least.

If you want them I will have to work "file magic" because most Office types are not allowed by the the forum software. (If you want them, I can rename them to a permitted type and when you get them you will need to rename them to the correct extension - OR PM ME your email address and I will email them to you).

FYI my camper loan was for term of 10 years and I got it June of 2009 at 6.39%. At the time a 10 year loan was at a payment I could afford yet allowed for early payoff (which my dealer's loan prohibited).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
$1000,00 for pdi ?

Are you kidding? $1000.00 for PDI. This is done by the FOREST RIVER factory at a 20,000 sq ft facility. Says so right on the back of the
Brochure. It is the responsibility of the dealer to clean, remove the wrappings, stickers, clean the outside from towing from the factory.

Cold day in you know where that I would pay for a PDI. Unless there is a "WALK-A-WAY" penalty, I would cancel in a heart beat!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #34

So by the looks of things it was already in the price, they just didn't give you the breakdown until after? Well, I guess if you are ok with the price then it doesnt really matter how they break it down. Your decision, obviously. Good luck
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #35

PDI's are not new to dealers. Our dealer may have added a few dollars to the selling price, but did not charge an additional charge. If the dealer charges extra it should be considered part of the total sales price.

I would look to another dealer you feel uncomfortable as you are establishing an on-going relationship with them.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320rs