Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #1

Drain for the potable water on 320RS?

We have ordered our 320RS and anxiously await its arrival in mid March. I was thinking back over the features on the trailer and I don't remember seeing a drain point for the potable water. I did remember seeing the low point drain which I currently have on my existing trailer, but on my trailer those drain the plumbing lines, not the water tank drain. So did I just miss water tank drain, or is the cold side low point drain double as the water tank drain. I am trying to be as prepared as possible so I don't miss any feature or problem when I do the PDI. I plan on downloading the PDI form I saw on the forums. This is not my first new trailer, but you know how it is when the stars are in your eyes and everything looks perfect! I don't want to have to make any trips back to the dealer if I can avoid it.
Speaking of PDI. This dealer is adding on $1,000 for the PDI. I asked him about it and he said its to pay for shop time for the clean up and PDI and for the time they spend with me to do my PDI. Is that what others have been charged? Or am I getting scr#$%^&$.
Columbus 320RS on order
dan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I can't speak to the potable water drain on your new trailer but I didn't pay a thing for PDI. I have also seen where dealers charge a dealer prep fee...We didn't pay that either.

All we paid was 75% of MSRP, sales tax and tags.

Personally I would try and renegotiate.

Good luck

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
I can't speak to the potable water drain on your new trailer but I didn't pay a thing for PDI. I have also seen where dealers charge a dealer prep fee...We didn't pay that either.

All we paid was 75% of MSRP, sales tax and tags.

Personally I would try and renegotiate.

Good luck
The potable water drain on our 2012 Silverback 29rk is on the left side (facing forward) of the FW just behind the rear axle.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #4

"...shop time for the clean up and PDI and for the time they spend with me to do my PDI."
Tell them to drop the charge and be prepared to walk away. That is pure B#!!
Look over the contract b4 you sign. Dealer prep, destination charges or some other fee is probably already there.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

On my 295RL the low point drains are right in the center of the axle underneath. The water tang drain is on the left hand side just to the rear of the axle. I hope this helps
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan747 View Post
We have ordered our 320RS and anxiously await its arrival in mid March. I was thinking back over the features on the trailer and I don't remember seeing a drain point for the potable water. I did remember seeing the low point drain which I currently have on my existing trailer, but on my trailer those drain the plumbing lines, not the water tank drain. So did I just miss water tank drain, or is the cold side low point drain double as the water tank drain. I am trying to be as prepared as possible so I don't miss any feature or problem when I do the PDI. I plan on downloading the PDI form I saw on the forums. This is not my first new trailer, but you know how it is when the stars are in your eyes and everything looks perfect! I don't want to have to make any trips back to the dealer if I can avoid it.
Speaking of PDI. This dealer is adding on $1,000 for the PDI. I asked him about it and he said its to pay for shop time for the clean up and PDI and for the time they spend with me to do my PDI. Is that what others have been charged? Or am I getting scr#$%^&$.
You said it is NOT your first new trailer,did you pay 1000$ for the PDI & Prep on the others? For 1000$ how many (DAYS) is this PDI going to take? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
"On the road again"

On your 320RS you'll be looking just in front of the front axle and there will be an actual drain-valve (unlike the removable caps on the low point drains). I had a fear of losing those caps - so I replaced them with with NPI threaded ball valves like these except white...which I spray-painted black.

http://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/387...-valve-050.jpg

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #8

My daughter and husband bought a new trailer this past summer and part of the deal was a sort of school on the trailer. I guess you could call it a PDI but it was a few hours long and they had to pay for that. It was in the price of the trailer. I had never heard of that before but my daughter's friend went through the same procedure at the same dealer. They were shown how everything worked, etc. Good idea especially for first time buyers. Maybe good idea for old time buyers on new trailers.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

This is illegal in most jurisdictions. If it was not in the deal when you signed the paperwork, and added after you signed I would bring a State Trooper with me and lead him away in hand cuffs.

FOUL!

If it IS there before you signed I would exercise my 72 hour right and cancel the order. WHAT BS. This is pure dealer profit.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Omg a 1000.00 pdi?

I almost dropped my phone when I read that!

Sorry man but that is downright hi way robbery!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #11

I am selling (PDIs) on Kraigs List for 500$. Youroo!!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I am selling (PDIs) on Kraigs List for 500$. Youroo!!
Is "kraigs" list a new selling site?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Is "kraigs" list a new selling site?
No it is (OUTA_SITE). Youroo!!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #14

Wow when we ordered our 2013 Puma Unleashed, no PDI charge, no dealer prep, the shipping charge was in the deal. The dealer through in vent covers, & installed free after the deal was written up, Also when I picked it up I forget to get a new 5th wheel lub plate the dealer told me to pick one up in parts "free" (I know that they are not expensive but he could have charged us). We paid about 66% of MSRP.......

Our Puma 100 gallon fresh water tank has a drian under it in front of the axles. The Hot & Cold lines each have one as well.
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Trailer Trash

Lot of people buy things on price alone as compared to other dealers. Deleting pdi to get the dealer's sell price lower by $1k could simply be a new gimmick. As other said, out the door price and what it does and does not ncludes is the real thing you need to look at.

If a dealer comes up with scary suprises before you even signed on the dotted line........run! Do you really think they will take care of you after the sale? That red flag in the back of your head means something. Pay attention to it!
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Lot of people buy things on price alone as compared to other dealers. Deleting pdi to get the dealer's sell price lower by $1k could simply be a new gimmick. As other said, out the door price and what it does and does not ncludes is the real thing you need to look at.

If a dealer comes up with scary suprises before you even signed on the dotted line........run! Do you really think they will take care of you after the sale? That red flag in the back of your head means something. Pay attention to it!
I agree with Joe 100%. When you select a dealer to work with make sure it's a dealer with a good rep and fair dealings. The deal doesn't end when you take delivery ... it's an ongoing relationship. That nagging voice you are hearing in your head telling you something isn't right ... Please listen to it.

In our case we could have used the dealer who was 10 miles away but went with one that was 100 miles away because of the individual reputations. I am very pleased with our decision and hope you will be able to get to the same place.

Good luck!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #17

$1000 PDI???? Are you kidding me? You need to call them on this one. First of all, the real PDI is done before you get there. It's a Pre Delivery Inspection. This is where they are supposed to check all of the systems, trim, fittings, etc, to make sure it is put together correctly. The manufacturer pays the dealer to do the PDI, warranty time. The one you are getting should be a courtesy to show you how everything works, and if they did the real PDI correctly, you should not have any issues and it should be a breeze for the dealer. Charging you to do this is an insult. Good luck!
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #18

Ya know, to add to this, I guess the part that bothers me the most is being charged for nitpicky stuff! Like luggage when flying, or paying for a shuttle to get to a hotel that is charging $300 a night, or paying for a sidedish when you buy a steak for $50. I would rather they just jack the price up enough to cover the price and not make me mad charging for stuff that should be included. At least then you have a choice not to buy it in the first place. I just saying...............
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to ByronCR Send a message via AIM to ByronCR Send a message via MSN to ByronCR Send a message via Yahoo to ByronCR Send a message via Skype™ to ByronCR
I would just tell them to cancel the PDI charge and that you will do the PDI yourself on their lot. They basically are trying to charge you for making taking plastic out of the trailer, and unwrapping things and making sure everything works. Your going to be doing the exact same thing when you show up before delivery. I would tell them that they can count on all the negative publicity they can handle if they want to charge you for the PDI. A lot of dealers don't want to risk the negative feed back for just $1000
ByronCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan747
Tank drain is between tires on the control panel side
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320rs