Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #21

Dual pane windows are nice until they break a seal and allow condensation to form between the window panes.....then it becomes a pain not a pane. Did you catch the difference in the spelling of Pain vs. pane.

We had the dual pane windows on our last motorhome, but on the Wildcat we have single pane widows. Yes the dual pane do offer some insulating value and does not sweat as single pane windows do. However, in both the motorhome and Wildcat we cut covers to fit the windows out of rolls of two sided foil finish bubble insulation we purchased at Lowes to provide not only insulation value. But, also gives us the ability to black out the interior of the RV for sleeping (keeps out RV park night light) and also reflects the heat of the sun allowing for cooler temps inside.
In the end it is a personal choice to go single or double and cost vs. benefits. I will add that the double pane windows do help to block out and reduce sound. But then so does the foil bubble wrap. Total cost of the foil bubble wrap would be under $100 FWIW.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Dual pane windows are nice until they break a seal and allow condensation to form between the window panes.....then it becomes a pain not a pane. Did you catch the difference in the spelling of Pain vs. pane.

We had the dual pane windows on our last motorhome, but on the Wildcat we have single pane widows. Yes the dual pane do offer some insulating value and does not sweat as single pane windows do. However, in both the motorhome and Wildcat we cut covers to fit the windows out of rolls of two sided foil finish bubble insulation we purchased at Lowes to provide not only insulation value. But, also gives us the ability to black out the interior of the RV for sleeping (keeps out RV park night light) and also reflects the heat of the sun allowing for cooler temps inside.
In the end it is a personal choice to go single or double and cost vs. benefits. I will add that the double pane windows do help to block out and reduce sound. But then so does the foil bubble wrap. Total cost of the foil bubble wrap would be under $100 FWIW.
I am sure that there are some bad or defective dual pane windows. I would also think that those issues would surface while still under your 1-2 year warranty’s. The window manufacturer may even provide a longer warranty.
An issue that is being touched on but skipped over is the detrimental impact of condensation, inside the fifth wheel. The Forest River manuals don’t say a whole lot about anything, but do hit this issue in pretty good detail. In fact they have the right to l deny warranty issues if they are exacerbated by condensation & mold.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #23

Actually most windows don't loose there dual pane seal while still under warranty. Manufactures pretty much know the life of the seal and are sure to stop the warranty ahead of this period of time.

Now the seals many times can be fixed or the window replaced. However it does come at a price.

And even with dual pane windows you can and will see some condensation if the RV is used in the cold weather when hot showers are taken, it is just natural for it to do so. Also condensation and mold are not limited by window choice there are many other areas that can allow for these factors to occur.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #24

However, in both the motorhome and Wildcat we cut covers to fit the windows out of rolls of two sided foil finish bubble insulation we purchased at Lowes to provide not only insulation value. But, also gives us the ability to black out the interior of the RV for sleeping (keeps out RV park night light) and also reflects the heat of the sun allowing for cooler temps inside.

Please post pictures.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
However, in both the motorhome and Wildcat we cut covers to fit the windows out of rolls of two sided foil finish bubble insulation we purchased at Lowes to provide not only insulation value. But, also gives us the ability to black out the interior of the RV for sleeping (keeps out RV park night light) and also reflects the heat of the sun allowing for cooler temps inside.

Please post pictures.
I'll be happy to do so later this afternoon when the rain has stopped.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #26

I was able to take a couple of photos from out of the garage door. These are two exterior photos and I'll still try to get a few from the interior if you like once the rail moves out.
Each window is cut independent at to section, such as the rear window is actually three different pieces of foil insulation so that they could be removed independent of one another.

The rear window looks to have an embossed pattern of a square pattern which is does not. This is a reflection of the other garage doors panel design. However I will say I do like that look....LOL.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #27
Plain Old Member

Ours pretty much looks like that in the pictures. Same stuff. Reflective bubble insulation from Lowes. And, for same reasons. Works well for blacking out the inside, blocking heat etc.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Ours pretty much looks like that in the pictures. Same stuff. Reflective bubble insulation from Lowes. And, for same reasons. Works well for blacking out the inside, blocking heat etc.
I also cut a piece to fit in the skylight above the shower. The foil was cut the same size as the light opening and held in place with Monster Tape around the foil to the plastic molded frame. This blocks out the direct light and heat, yet the plastic around the clear lens does allow for some muted light almost a halo effect.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #29
Plain Old Member

We went a different route on the skylight. There are pictures of one I had did on our Forester in my picture album. Pulled the inner lens, painted the inner part of that lens. Painted the inside of the upper dome. Filled with batten insulation and the bubble insulation and resecured. No light, no heat. I don't have pictures of the one on the Silverback, but it's the same way. White paint on both inner and outer dome. Looks nice from the outside too.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #30
Plain Old Member

Here's the forester one. I used a matching color on the outer dome on that one. Missing a few pictures showing where the bubble insulation is.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #31

You guys are convincing me to add them to our order (if it's not too late.)

One question -- can anyone tell me if the dual panes on the Columbus are still tinted and frameless like the regular single panes?
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #32

Thanks. Interior photos would give those considering this option a better understanding of what they need to do.

Love the skylight idea.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #33
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCheesehead View Post
You guys are convincing me to add them to our order (if it's not too late.)

One question -- can anyone tell me if the dual panes on the Columbus are still tinted and frameless like the regular single panes?
Boy I sure hope so. I ordered my sabre with frame less and dual pane. And I sure hope their tinted, but honestly I haven't seen any windows that weren't here recently.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #34
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I had an extra silver bubble type car window sun shade, and cut it up for the sky lights and back door on our last 5er. Pretty much same stuff u used but probably a little stiffer, but hey it worked in a pinch, and we used it till the 5er was gone.!

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #35

I would not buy another unit without the dual pane windows (and the artic pack) They make a HUGE difference. We have dual pane windows all around but of course the windshield is not.

On our winter trips some mornings we find a considerable thickness of ice on the inside of the windshield and none on the dual pane windows unless the temperature is less than minus 10 F. We always vent with a fan when cooking that lets off steam (like boiling pasta)

We have an electric heater with fan to point at the windshield to help melt the ice on the inside before we can leave in the morning.

I have no clue why the salesman would try and dissuade you from getting dual pane windows but on that bit of bad advice alone I would be suspicious of anything else he tells you.

And in the hot summer months - the dual pane windows do make a difference with thermal gain. Win Win.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #36

Well, we caught the order just in time, about 2 weeks before our unit goes into production, so we added the dual pane window option to our Columbus.

Thanks everyone for helping me spend more money...

But seriously, everywhere I searched, the overwhelming majority of folks said they were definitely worth it. That many people can't be wrong, so we're very glad to be getting them.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Boy I sure hope so. I ordered my sabre with frame less and dual pane. And I sure hope their tinted, but honestly I haven't seen any windows that weren't here recently.

Found out they should be. Columbus dealer told me they will be tinted and frameless and will look pretty much like the single panes.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Thanks. Interior photos would give those considering this option a better understanding of what they need to do.

Love the skylight idea.
Here are a few interior photos of the foil bubble insulation in place.

With shades pulled down.

Shades up, foil in view.

Foil can be easily removed if you prefer a view weather permitting of course. And when I say weather, I speak of no direct sun hitting the window. On the windows with screens, the screen pull out before removing the foil insulation for cross ventilation of fresh air.