Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #41
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Ford claims you can increase towing capacity by 5,000lbs by doing a suspension upgrade on the SRW F350. I would think a good set of airbags would accomplish this. Seems like the way to go, to me. Unless you REALLY NEED a DRW.
Would love to see a link to this Ford claim. I doubt that airbags (which do not increase GVWR) is all that they replace to achieve a 5,000 pound increase.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #42
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Would love to see a link to this Ford claim. I doubt that airbags (which do not increase GVWR) is all that they replace to achieve a 5,000 pound increase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140225_101636.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	46796

Article starts on page 16

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140225_101716.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	46797

Here it is in bold print...

Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #43

Quote:

X2. I can't believe Ford would claim that. It won't change the vehicle GVWR at all.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Attachment 46796

Article starts on page 16

Attachment 46797

Here it is in bold print...

There is an asterisk after the quote. Where is the note on that.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #45
Camper Less Camping

Tiny print at bottom of page states truck has been modified with aftermarket parts and has about 3 lawyer lines of info about the manufactures warranty may be void when using aftermarket components if deemed the cause for damages.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #46
Site Team - Lou

My Ford Owner Magazine | CHOPPER SUPPORT

OK, it seems this is not a FORD claim, but an after marketeer claim not based on anything from Ford (from reading the internet post).

*Trucks shown have been modified with after market equipment. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by: alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company; tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to, exhaust and intake systems); the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to, lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips.”

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #47
Site Team

Well, the article says "Suspension Lift", I didn't think that was the same thing as airbags. Back in my tuner days when we did suspension drops we changed out the springs (and usually struts at the same time).

Changing the springs I can see adding some additional payload, if it's a stiffer spring, and allowing a greater tongue weight, but the overall towing capacity is still going to be limited by several factors, such as axles, tire load, frame, engine, transmission, etc...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #48
Camper Less Camping

I'm now looking into a 4" suspension mod for my Chevy to get another 10K lbs of Tow capacity... ...LOL
Old 02-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #49
Site Team - Lou

The rest of the story

Even the MFR of this kit does not make this claim.

The confusion comes from the NAME of the mod kit Loadlifter 5000.

The "Claim" is that it will LEVEL a load of up to 5,000 pounds*.

LoadLifter 5000 ULTIMATE Towing Air Spring with a Jounce Bumper Inside | Air Lift Company

THEIR fine print reads "* Never exceed manufacturer’s recommended Gross Vehicle Weight Rating"

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #50

Quote:
My Ford Owner Magazine | CHOPPER SUPPORT

OK, it seems this is not a FORD claim, but an after marketeer claim not based on anything from Ford (from reading the internet post).

*Trucks shown have been modified with after market equipment. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by: alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company; tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to, exhaust and intake systems); the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to, lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips.”

Seems clear to me it is a Ford claim as it is in a publication issued by Ford Motor Company. They offer a disclaimer in print about warranty, but that's it. And the suspension lift is NOT a suspension replacement as some are trying to twist. Airbags would accomplish the same thing. You don't have to like it, but it's there in print. You can argue that you can't change the "sticker", but to claim you can't change a trucks capability with modifications doesn't seem to float.