Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #61

I had a dually for 11 years as a daily driver (only vehicle, in fact), and the extra tires were never a showstopper. You get used to them. I used my mirrors sorta like cat's whiskers - if the mirrors would fit, then so would the rest of the truck. You learn to check out drive-throughs before committing to them. Backing into parking spaces helps, since the non-steering rear axle doesn't cut a wide arc and keeps the tires between the lines. Also, it gives neighboring drivers more room to wiggle in and out of their cars and spaces.

The best part about having the dually was knowing that I could hook on to anything that would fit in/on my hitches and I could pull it with confidence. I blew it with my new truck and only got a single. I was upgrading for the purpose of a larger back seat for the kids, and the wife talked me into a SRW. Her point was valid at the time, because I really didn't need training wheels. But a year later we ended up buying a monster 5ver and now I'm right around the capacity of the rear tires. On paper it should work, but boy I'd sure like to have my training wheels back.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #62
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
This quote gets us back to the issue at hand. If you are talking about a ¾ ton diesel, your fifth wheel towing capacity is normally between 17,500 and 18,000 pounds. Other than a large Mobile Suites or very heavily loaded toy hauler, what do you plan on pulling that will grossly exceed that range?
Towing capacity is one thing; the ability to CARRY the pin weight is another.

The "available" (remaining) payload actually determines the maximum size of 5th wheel you can carry. The Max tow numbers are strictly a single 150 pound driver and nothing else.

The center of gravity (CG) of a particular floor plan and potential load plan will determine where the CG finally occurs. This will result in a pin weight that can be considerably higher than the dry pin listed in the brochure.

If you use the "optimum" 5th wheel CG number of 20% of gross trailer weight, a 15,000 pound camper will have a 3000 pound pin weight. Not many 3/4 ton class pickups will have that kind of remaining payload after the family and "truck carried gear" is subtracted from the published maximum payload numbers.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #63
Camper Less Camping

To the OP-aezell...hope this is useful I go to help answer your question!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Towing capacity is one thing; the ability to CARRY the pin weight is another.

The "available" (remaining) payload actually determines the maximum size of 5th wheel you can carry. The Max tow numbers are strictly a single 150 pound driver and nothing else.

The center of gravity (CG) of a particular floor plan and potential load plan will determine where the CG finally occurs. This will result in a pin weight that can be considerably higher than the dry pin listed in the brochure.

If you use the "optimum" 5th wheel CG number of 20% of gross trailer weight, a 15,000 pound camper will have a 3000 pound pin weight. Not many 3/4 ton class pickups will have that kind of remaining payload after the family and "truck carried gear" is subtracted from the published maximum payload numbers.
Trilogy dry weight 14, 850 pounds
Tongue weight 2,950
Payload of truck 2,750 plus 5,000 for air bags
Works for me…had it in the mountains, flat lands, everywhere.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Trilogy dry weight 14, 850 pounds
Tongue weight 2,950
Payload of truck 2,750 plus 5,000 for air bags
Works for me…had it in the mountains, flat lands, everywhere.
I'm clearly NOT someone that sees GVWR and payload numbers as a line in the sand, but even I wouldn't go that far. As far as I'm concerned, the air bags will take stress off of springs and add a third point on the frame to absorb load. I would still consider axle and tire ratings. I think tires would be the next weakest link- I've seen them fail, whereas I haven't seen axles or frames fail from moderate overloading.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm clearly NOT someone that sees GVWR and payload numbers as a line in the sand, but even I wouldn't go that far. As far as I'm concerned, the air bags will take stress off of springs and add a third point on the frame to absorb load. I would still consider axle and tire ratings. I think tires would be the next weakest link- I've seen them fail, whereas I haven't seen axles or frames fail from moderate overloading.
Probably not clear in my summary:

trailer tongue/pin weight is 2950’ish, the TV has payload/tongue weight capacity of 2750’ish, so in reality only over by 200 pounds dry. Allow of additional weight in the front from stuff, possibly over by 300-400 pounds. I run air bags with only 40 lbs in them, which completely levels my truck. Michelin tires on TV, with plenty of capacity to spare. Goodyear H-rated tires on fifth wheel (4,850 capacity each) and 8,000 pound axles.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Would love to see a link to this Ford claim. I doubt that airbags (which do not increase GVWR) is all that they replace to achieve a 5,000 pound increase.
I could see how it could add some to the gross vehicle weight. On my 2500 GMC there is no difference with the trans differential engine compared to a 3500 the only difference is suspension. If you do any enhancements such as air bags Timbrens Xtra leaf springs things of that nature you will increase the gross vehicle weight. I asked my dealer about this and they agreed. But I don't think you could increase it by five thousand with minor modifications.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #68

To the OP, obviously there is some good info here regarding your questions. This is now getting off topic like the 1/2 ton truck debates. There are obviously some differences between SRW vs DRW. For the few setbacks if you would call them that, being parking and turning a little wider to clear the hips, other than that, once you pull with a DRW, it would be hard to go back. The mpg difference is minimal, the ride isn't bad, I've had everything from 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton srw, and the last 3 trucks have all been DRW. I use it as a daily driver, no complaints.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #69
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
I could see how it could add some to the gross vehicle weight. On my 2500 GMC there is no difference with the trans differential engine compared to a 3500 the only difference is suspension. If you do any enhancements such as air bags Timbrens Xtra leaf springs things of that nature you will increase the gross vehicle weight. I asked my dealer about this and they agreed. But I don't think you could increase it by five thousand with minor modifications.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
In reality, modifications that add to the weight of the truck reduce payload; not increase it. What these suspension mods accomplish is to improve ride and handling.

I truly understand that no amount of documentation will convince some folks; so believe what you will. I, for one, would LOVE to see any add on device that is certified by the manufacturer of that device to increase the GVWR of a vehicle.

You could do as one of our members did. He put a 2500 body that he liked on a 3500 chassis; now THAT would work.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #70
Oklahoma Proud

Op,
If going new, I would spring for the dually. There is only about a $500 (or very minimal) difference on apples-to-apples srw to drw 3500 on GM trucks. Srw has a few more rebates usually. Around this area it (drw) would sell fast when your done with it (as long as it was 4wd).
If going used, I would REALLY get a dually, you get a single and you run a greater risk of the previous owner trying to use it as a dually.
And surprisingly, working for dealership collision centers, we rarely have to fix dually beds. I think the drw drivers pay a little more attention. But Of course its a little harder tell when you have a flat with duals, so some people have issues with blowout damage.
Best to ya on your decision!!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
BBBlue, I'm not getting anywhere near those kind of mileage numbers.
What year is your truck and how much does your trailer weigh? My last scale weights: Truck- 9040, Trailer- 14140. The Sanibel's front end is aerodynamically designed. Looks almost bullet shaped. No mods to my 2013 Ram Truck 3500 Dually w/ Cummins engine.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #72

Thank you for all the input, we bought our Ram 3500 Dually today. Thanks again!!!
aezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #73
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Excellent choice!! From now on you'll hit the road KNOWING that you can pull whatever, wherever.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #74

Sounds like a camper salesman.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623 View Post
Excellent choice!! From now on you'll hit the road KNOWING that you can pull whatever, wherever.....
okietom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by aezell View Post
Thank you for all the input, we bought our Ram 3500 Dually today. Thanks again!!!

You won't be disappointed. I pull heavy everyday and not one problem. My dealer and I did a test on engine oil with my truck and found by switching to rotella T6 we actually got a lot better fuel mileage. Also ask your dealer about the extended oil change warranty, you can get buy 4 oil changes with filter change in the T6 for 240 bucks. That was about 30 bucks cheaper than I could do it myself for and use the mopar oil filter.
Mad DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #76

Tow with a dually. Then go back and tow with a single wheel anything. We love our duramax dually. I also own a single wheeler. I'm lucky, we have a carwash near by that can wash a crew cab dually. You do have to search out a parking spot in town!!LOL
shopboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #77

Congrats! Post up some pics!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #78

Will do, we pick it up tomorrow or Tuesday.
aezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #79
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Will do, we pick it up tomorrow or Tuesday.
Picture pictures pictures.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #80

Quote:

Great choice on the Ram. Enjoy!
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote