Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
jsk

Electrical Help Requested

I went to open up camper today to pack for a trip this weekend to find nothing worked. I was plugged into 110 at the house just we have always done. Nothing on the 12v or 110 side. So I went to check battery and got lights for a few seconds. Decided to check battery voltage and it was 10. So I am thinking dead battery. But the 110 side did not work either. I backed my truck up to hitch and plugged cable in to the 7 pin connector of truck and got lights and 110 (microwave clock came on). This did not last long. Next thing I did is used another battery I had and and powered everything up. Refrigerator and microwave came on and the 12v items I checked worked. What I did not hear was converter fan running. Could converter cause battery to go bad or can a bad battery make the converter act up. What should I check? Would either effect the 110 side of things? What was strange from the start when the 110 side did not work there was voltage at the GFCI outlets. Any help is greatly appreciated. We are supposed to leave Friday morning. Not so sure now. Also camper is not in storage. We keep it plugged into 110 as we are in and out of it regularly.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

elect

First thing I would plug my batteries in to a charger and let them fully charge up. Next I would check the 110 v outlet you pluged the camper into and see if maybe the breaker triped inside the house. If it did reset it if not go to the camper and turn off ALL your breakers than reset them and try all this. It may just help.

dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
GLCM Warrior

To me, it sounds like something interrupted the AC supply to your coach and the battery discharged. The AC side of the coach should work with or without the battery in the circuit as AC flows to the main breaker and then on to any sub-breakers and then to your AC outlets/appliances.

The incoming AC is also sent to the converter which then outputs DC to charge the batteries and power the DC circuits/equipment.

I would check the AC supply to the coach. As suggested, maybe you tripped a breaker in the house panel or, if plugged into a GFCI supply outlet, you tripped that outlet's GFCI (it has happened to me).

Maybe try plugging something into your AC supply cord where it connects to the coach adapter and verify power is available there...if so, then maybe check the continuity of your coach 110 AC adapter and work your way towards the breaker panel in the coach.

Hopefully, you can track down the trouble...
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
jsk

I looked again before heading to work. I think AC side may be fine - the labels are incorrect from the factory so not sure what I was checking yet but I do have power on everything I have tried on the AC side I did have 2 breakers off and one of them was the micro.. Gonna look this afternoon at the 12v side. I have picked up another battery just in case. Gonna unhook current battery and plug into shore power and see if converter has any output. I tested last night with a truck battery and everything worked on both sides - even opend the slides. BUT I never heard the converter fan come on EVEN with all of the lights on. Usually you can hear it with all of the lights on. Any other suggestions? I have less than 24 hours. BTW we will be at Lakewood in Myrtle Beach if any one is close. The problem may not be completely fixed but we should be able to use it. Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
jsk

Problem solved. Thanks for the replies. The mislabeling from the factory and a breaker that was not fully up were the problem. The breaker was for the converter. All is functioning correctly. Now to the packing.

Tags
electric, electrical