Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #1

extended stay dump valves positions?

We are on our maiden trip with the 295RL. And LOVING it.

We are currently staying in one spot for two weeks.

What position do you leave your black tank, and two gray tank valves when staying this long.

I have been leaving the black tank valve closed at all times and making sure I add lots of water to make sure when I dump it, there is plently of water to flush it. When we leave, I will use the back flush for sure.

I have been leaving the grey tank valves open until I know I am going to flush the black tank so I have plenty of water to flush the pipe.

Any body care to share the way they find best ?

Thanks.

Jon
B&W hitch
2013 Columbus Palomino 295RL
Jon_Celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Anacortesians

We rarely stay more than two nights anywhere, so we're not typical. We keep both dump-valves closed, but monitor the level gauges. Depending on levels, we may leave a CG without dumping.

It's not a good idea to keep the black valve open when docked, as you don't get enough liquid staying in the tank to keep the solids in suspension. When I dump the black tank, I like to have at least a half-full grey tank so that relatively solids-free water flushes the sewer hose.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

I am in an extended stay site and I leave my gray tanks open and the black tank closed. The day before I am going to dump my black tank, I close the gray tanks to save a bit of "rinse" water to clean the hose after dumping the black tank. I have not noticed any bad smell from leaving my gray tank valves open.

HTH

Old 05-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Celia View Post
We are on our maiden trip with the 295RL. And LOVING it.

We are currently staying in one spot for two weeks.

What position do you leave your black tank, and two gray tank valves when staying this long.

I have been leaving the black tank valve closed at all times and making sure I add lots of water to make sure when I dump it, there is plently of water to flush it. When we leave, I will use the back flush for sure.

I have been leaving the grey tank valves open until I know I am going to flush the black tank so I have plenty of water to flush the pipe.

Any body care to share the way they find best ?

Thanks.

Jon
Its probably best to fill the grey tank and dump at least every few days to collect and dispose of the scums and greases with Dawn you collect with every shower and dish washing. If drains hit the tank and not flushed they will build up piles and will be very difficult to get rid of when they do begin to stink! Remember in use every drain is trapped, not winter time however.....
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
DDC

We keep them all closed till they require emptying, I'd hate to have a full black tank and empty gray tank there is also no risk of getting sewer gases inside the trailer with them closed.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
We keep them all closed till they require emptying, I'd hate to have a full black tank and empty gray tank there is also no risk of getting sewer gases inside the trailer with them closed.
You won't get sewer gases in the camper. That is what traps are for.
We leave our black tank closed as everyone else, but leave the gray tank vales open. That way we get less grease and gunk buildup in the tank and on the level sensors.
When we are getting ready to leave, we pour a bunch of fresh water into the gray tank, including all of the hot water from the hot water tank, with some dish soap. That provides a bit of a rinse for the tank, and we have nice clean water to clean out the hoses after dumping the black tank.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #7

I keep them closed until they fill up or we leave. Dump the black water tank first, then the gray to clean out the line. NEVER leave the black water valve open or the solids will stay in the tank and harden and it will be hard to get them out.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #8

We use Dawn which does a good job of breaking up the grease in the grey tanks.
I leave all valves closed. If the tanks get full, they get dumped. I always make sure there's plenty of water in the grey tanks before dumping the black tank.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #9

Since I do use the tank enzyme packs in my black tank, I leave it closed till its full, but leave the grays open so I don't have to get nervous about backups while in the shower, doing dishes, etc. The night before I leave though, I close the grays so showers in the morning fill it up enough for me to rinse out the hose after the black is drained. That way I don't get any grungies on me when take off the hose.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Always Learning

Black always closed until it's time to dump.

Gray, we're inconsistent. I've read horror stories about creatures from the black lagoon crawling up out of the sewer and/or sewer backing up - if the valves are closed, you're protected from the nasties. But leaving the valves open is convenient.

I will say- I've taught my daughter how to pull the valves to dump the tanks. Now I have to go and make sure they're closed. And, well- a time or two, I've had my black tank unexpectedly pulled.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #11

I always keep booth closed and dump every 3 days or so. I don't trust the sewer system at campground. A back in the system and all the waste is coming right into your rig.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #12

I put solenoid controlled valves on and remotely open them when being irritated by those behind me. Don't use them below 50 mph.

(Maybe I'm kidding)
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote