Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #1

Extra shelves installed in a Sabre 31 RETS

I decided to place this here because it pertains mostly to the Sabre 31 RETS. If the moderators think it needs to be moved, please feel free to move it.

We are starting a period of full time living in our Sabre, anywhere from 6 months to 2 years depending on a myriad of factors. Our first stop was to spend some time with my brother in Hillsboro OR. This was around Thanksgiving so there were quite a few rainy days. I was able to take advantage of my brother's very well equipped wood shop to add some new shelves to the coach because there never seems to be enough flat areas when you are living full time in the coach. I started with a simple idea of adding a shelf to the small area on the forward side of the bed for the DW (by the way, I thought for the longest time that this stood for Dish Washer ) I used a piece of press board and made a template of the shape of the shelf we wanted, then went inside the wood shop and started rummaging through the wood pile... did I mention my brother's well equipped wood shop?? Not only does this include a good table saw, radial arm saw and chop saw, but also a drill press, jointer, router table and planer. Along with all these great tools, he also has a stash of wood to work with. I was digging through his wood when I ran into this nasty ol' piece of black walnut . After being reassure by my brother that it was ok to use, I decided to go ahead and use this beautiful wood. I am sure that Cherry would have matched the coach better, but I have always liked walnut. We planed the wood down to get it flat and thinner, (less weight that way) then cut it to match the template. After sanding, I finished it with Watco. Here is a photo of the shelf before installation.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	9665
And installed.

Name:	Shelf, bedroom.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	9666
I used 2 short wood screws to hold the shelf in place, the shelf is self supporting, just wanted to hold it in place. I designed the height so that a square box of kleenex just fit under the leading edge with a little tension to hold the box in place. Since I was geared up to make shelves, I went ahead and made a shelf for the bathroom as well. I put fiddles on this shelf, but we still take everything off of it before moving.

Name:	Bath shelf.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	9668
The last shelf I made was for the wall to the side of the TV. This allowed us another flat space for things such as the DW's Christmas decorations, the Bose radio, or anything else that gets piled there..

Name:	Shelf, entertainment center.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	9667
We have put the shelves to good use and really enjoy having the extra flat areas to pile things.

Don't know if this will help anyone, but I thought I would post it in the hopes that it might help someone with shelf ideas. I have learned a lot from this forum and have gained many an idea for mods to our coach and I hope that this will allow me to return the favor and give someone some ideas.

Jim
Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #2

Great job!!
I wonder if you have the measurements of those shelves as we have the same model coach.
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #3

Thanks wingriders!

The shelf by the tv is 26" x 7 3/4"

The bathroom shelf is 18 3/4" long side, 10 1/4" short side by 7 1/2"

The bedroom shelf is 16 1/4" x 6 3/4"

Let me know if you have more questions.

Jim
Old 12-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #4

Did you use nothing but wood screws to secure the shelves? Even on the inside hollow walls? I was considering a book rack in the bathroom, but the wall is made of very thin wood.
My concern is if I install a shelf, DW will find something to put on it. More work for me!
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
H2oski

Great job. The shelves look great!!!!! Thanks for the info w/pics.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #6

amxpress,

I did just use wood screws. I tried to design the shelves to hold most of the weight and the screws are used to hold them to the walls and provide vertical support. We also tend to not place heavy items on them, as you noted, the walls are very thin!

h20ski,

Thanks for the compliments!

Jim
Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #7

I too added some shelves in our 2010 31RETS-6.

Added two shelves in the linen closet.

Removed the lazy susan in the Kitchen cabinet above the sink, and added a big shelf and a small half door on the top backside. Makes that space tons more useful.

Also built a cutting board half sink cover out of oak that works much better than the full plastic sink cover that came with it.

Marty

Attached Images

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #8

Nice mods! We're waiting for our factory ordered Sabre and you guys are allready giving me ideas .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote