Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
I am most pleased with my results. I really like the finished product, and feel much better about keeping my $1000.00 generator on board.

We are off Monday for five days in Las Vegas and than onto the Imperial Sand Dunes just outside of Yuma for some Sand Railing. Home for Thanksgiving and Chanukah

Here are the PICs. Constructive comments are always welcome

The picture showing the ladder is where I could have about 1.5 inches of height in order for the up swing to clear the ladder joint. I had some holes drilled for bungee's. On the picture of the underside of the rack you can see two 1/2 inch lengths of tubing running forward to rear. I had those put on as well for bungee's.

I am sure there could be some improvements but I have what I need.
Looks great! Nice improvement, especially as your using it in the pics. Any idea how much weight was added? Probably just 20 lbs or so? Thinking something similar could be handy for when I haul along our GMG for longer trips.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #22

Good question on the weight Joel. No I do not have that figure. I would imagine you are fairly close with 20 lbs. I would say a bit less just gauging how easy it was to pick up and carry the material. I also think I might have gotten away with 1/2 inch on the rails instead of the 3/4. I can still heft it up into the raised position. All said I would have preferred a hitch where I would be able to swap out different racks and also use them on my other vehicle or loan them to friends. Didn't want to mess with the frame warranty so this is just great. Very happy with the results. If you have the skill and tools (which I do not) this job can be completed for about $40.00 worth of tubing. Heck I paid $16.00 on E-Bay just for the 26 end caps I needed to make it look nice and finished.

Safe travels

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #23

I'm thinking of making a rail attachment, that could be locked in with pins. I've used the rack many times for bikes, but can see where hauling a grill, generator, coolers, or other larger object would benefit greatly with the added rails. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, factory