Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #1

Factory Bike Rack

I have a 2013/2014 Palamino 32RCTS with the factory installed bike rack. Does anyone have pictures showing how to use this thing? What is the post on the outside edge center used for? Also the pin that is on the outside edge?

I removed the rack today and am having a 5 inch railing welded around the perimeter so I have more of a cargo/bike rack. The railing will allow me to bunge or ratchet strap things like my generator, gas can etc and keep things from sliding off. Hopefully I will still be able to use it as a bike rack. Hence I want to make sure I don't do any mods that will prohibit using it for bikes.

Thanks

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

The post is meant to be set vertical and held in place with the pin. Your bikes can then be strapped to the post. Dumb idea, right? But that's what they told me at the factory. What I did is buy bike tire brackets from Camping World and bolted them to the mesh floor. They include straps that cross over the center tube on the bike and are secured to the bike rack frame. I then wrap bungee cords around the bikes and secure those to the bike rack frame. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I don't. Traveled over 2000 miles this summer with no problems.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #3

It is not a "bike rack" no matter what the sakes guy said. It is a "storage rack" that can be used to transport whatever you wish. With some slight mods it will transport bikes. The vertical post can be used as an additional tie down/support point. Travel with care.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
It is not a "bike rack" no matter what the sakes guy said. It is a "storage rack" that can be used to transport whatever you wish. With some slight mods it will transport bikes. The vertical post can be used as an additional tie down/support point. Travel with care.
Can't blame this one on the sales guy. The Surveyor brochure specifically calls it a "Fold Down Bike Rack" supplied in the diamond package for Sport, Select and Fifth Wheel models. I agree, however, that it is really a storage rack that can be used as a bike rack. I just felt kind of bad for the poor sales guy getting all the blame.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Inside pin is to fold it up.

Turbs
Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
My order sheet also says fold up bike rack.
450lb capacity.

Turbs
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #7

That rack is a disaster for transporting bikes. We made two trips with it and was fearful that we were going to come with less bikes than we left with! I took it off and had a bracket fabbed so we could attach a hitch mount bike rack. This way we can take the bike for a day trip with the TV if we want too. Since these pics I added another receiver tube parallel to the bracket so I can put the carrier sideways and save a little space at the storage lot and powder coated it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3408318405.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	42386  
Old 11-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-959773039.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	42387

Guys...I don't see what all the fuss is about...use ours every trip as a bike rack, family of 4 with room to add our blue tote by the ladder when we stay at non full hookup campgrounds.
As you see in the pic, I use 3 rubber bungee straps to secure the bikes to the rack...then off we go...bikes don't budge a bit...works great for us & glad we got it with this unit
Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post

Guys...I don't see what all the fuss is about...use ours every trip as a bike rack, family of 4 with room to add our blue tote by the ladder when we stay at non full hookup campgrounds.
As you see in the pic, I use 3 rubber bungee straps to secure the bikes to the rack...then off we go...bikes don't budge a bit...works great for us & glad we got it with this unit
Us too. Two adult, two kids bikes (20") no problems. Maybe if I was over worried about the bike paint, it wouldn't work, but for us, its great. Couple bungees and one ratchet strap and all is well.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #10

I am VERY concerned about bike paint. We own very expensive bikes. I will figure something out. Anyway didn't think it was worth very much as a cargo rack either since it had no railing and really no where I felt it safe to bungee or ratchet strap. Didn't feel really feel good about strapping down a $1,000.00 generator. At this very moment I have a welder putting a 5 inch rail around the rack so now I will have a poor bike rack but a great cargo rack. Can use for both. Will post pictures when I re-install rack next week.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, factory