Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
You have every right to bash them. You are not a beta tester. Are you getting paid to debug their product? FR and your dealer are making a hefty profit off of you. In return, they need to deliver you quality and service.

If you have a story of negative experience with a product, you need to get that out there without apologies. The people who have positive experiences do the same. Just get the truth out there and the potential buyers can make their own sense of it.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that anyone doesn't have the right to bash whomever they want to bash. But, these comments "If you plan on buying one, either plan on leaving at the dealership to finish the manufacturing/quality control process or just look elsewhere." sounded to me like he was condemning the entire Columbus (or perhaps Palomino or maybe even Forest River by use of the term "buying one") line of products. That's what I felt was unfair and broader than perhaps was deserved.

I never want to offend anyone - yes, I realize we've been very blessed with a great fifth wheel (as have a lot of other people). I'm sorry some of you are having a lot more issues.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
I certainly didn't mean to imply that anyone doesn't have the right to bash whomever they want to bash. But, these comments "If you plan on buying one, either plan on leaving at the dealership to finish the manufacturing/quality control process or just look elsewhere." sounded to me like he was condemning the entire Columbus (or perhaps Palomino or maybe even Forest River by use of the term "buying one") line of products. That's what I felt was unfair and broader than perhaps was deserved.

I never want to offend anyone - yes, I realize we've been very blessed with a great fifth wheel (as have a lot of other people). I'm sorry some of you are having a lot more issues.
I don't think one Columbus has been 100% perfect from the factory. From what I have read, most people have been having the same issues I have had. Some more, some less. I am definitely not bashing Forest River. I wouldn't keep buying their products if there was an issue there.

Mine was an unfinished product. By unfinished I mean poor craftsmanship and a lack of quality control. I am simply warning others of the issues.
I am not going to other threads that praise the Columbus line bashing the people telling them their products are junk like mine. I know there are a some that may come out of the factory with very few issues. My issues are not common mistakes. They are not even over sites. They are blatant displays of poor workmanship and an "I don't care attitude". I would be embarrassed to release a product of the quality to anyone at any price. It is not only falling apart after 8 nights of use, it is unsafe for me and my family.

I apologize if my dissatisfaction offends any of you but it is what it is.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #23

funkyjunk, I think the issues you have experienced with your camper and even the issues that those singing the praises of their units experience, are not acceptable. Any new camper coming off the factory line should be problem free. This will happen only with diligent quality control. I do understand that issues will arise after use and to some degree will be expected, however, there is no excuse for shoddy workmanship.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #24

I purchased an 2013 Columbus 325RL on August 7 and have camped 34 days so far. Issues: black water valve leaks, missing trim in living room, missing satellite cable, front door would not latch, outside kitchen door would not lock, television signal disappears in bedroom when light is turned on, basement radio did not work, ceiling trim sags, and three tears in roof fabric had been patched. Called dealer (eastern us mega dealer (5 hours away). Service consultant said I would have to schedule the unit in the shop at least two weeks in advance and plan on leaving it with them because they would have to order parts. End results: Except for the radio, I made the repairs myself. Bottom line is spend three or fours on the walk through and camp for three or four days at the dealers to take care of the problems that are sure to arise. This is my 8th camper over the last forty years and the first with quality control problems. Would I buy the same unit if I had an opportunity? A great big YES!!!!!!!! . All in all it is a well designed RV with some Quality Control issues.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #25

In my opinion, there's no excuse. In this post-Deming, six sigma world, every manufacturer knows that the best way to make money is to do it right the first time. The best way to lose money is to allow a unit like FunkyJunk's in the hands of a customer.
Sorry for the sermon..
NeilM108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #26
Trailer Trash

You ALL have 4 levels to catch errors

1 - Factory before it ships it to dealer
2- Dealer prep and testing before PDI
3 - PDI walkthrough and testing with buyer/customer
4- buyer/customer in field testing - hopefully close to selling dealer.

For quality issues to happen all the way through 1, 2, and 3 something is just plain wrong. A couple minor things at level 4 I expect and I know things come loose and break during towing sometimes.

The thing to do as a customer is refuse delivery if your level 3 pdi walkthrough turns up problems. Why you guys with the bigger problems actually accepted delivery on your new RV is beyond me. When you refuse delivery, stuff gets fixed pronto. Heads roll when a customer shuts down delivery process. The dealer's business office and sales guy tend to get really pissed off. It's the one time you as the customer have the dealer by the nads. I've done it before on a new leased truck. And I have had customers do it to me (when I was in sales).
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote