Old 09-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

Finally gave up for the season

I was hoping our brand new Columbus 385 BH would get us through the season Or at least a month) but we finally had to send it in. We have had more problems than two people can stand.
Most of the problems we've had were "livable". More problems than I think most people would care to read about. This weekend was the first weekend we had to turn on the furnace. When we started it, the camper filled with smoke. This is common for new campers and "burning in" the furnace. I turned on the fans and cleared it out. No big deal. Then about 4 a.m. my wife wakes me up to the smell of propane. Not just a little... a lot. Turned off the furnace and ran the fans for a while. The next day I thought I would try it again and the same thing. It was almost unbearable even with both fantastic fans blowing we couldn't stay in the camper.
We decided to break camp and head home early. Thanks to the auto-level it took over 3 hours to get hooked up. I had to keep disconnecting the battery and trying to manually raise/lower each side, front, back etc. If you pull the pins for the leveling legs the entire leg assembly falls out on to the ground. We finally got on the road. I called my dealer and he said they would send someone down to pick it up (Happy with dealer so far).
This morning I went down to meet the guy to pick it up and clear out a few things and the bedroom door fell off the hinges when I walked in.
Every time I get in this thing it's like a giant kick in the beans.
5th camper in 5 years and this is by far the worst experience so far. And it's a shame because they have all been Forest River units.

If you plan on buying one, either plan on leaving at the dealership to finish the manufacturing/quality control process or just look elsewhere.

Thanks for ending my camping season after only 3 weeks.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

After reading this, I am having second thoughts. We are planning on going to look at the 385BH this weekend at our local dealer.

Best of luck, hope they get things worked out for you.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

A few other things to look at while you're there:

I don't think there is any insulation in these things. My wife and I held a conversation at normal volume while I was at the outside kitchen and she was in the bunk house with all windows and doors closed. Press in on the wall going up the stairs beside the main door. It pushes in about an inch. Next, turn on the outside stereo... It's louder inside.

I'm not sure about the holding tanks in these either. My wife and I can fill up Grey 1, Grey 2 and Black 1 in a day. That's a lot for 2 people.

If the unit has the auto level, ask them to see the instructions and try to follow them. See what happens.

These are things that CAN NOT be fixed by the dealer so I am stuck with it. If you can live with these things than go for it. If you want to see the other running list I will be glad to message it to you.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

Scary as I'm considering a 320rs
Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #5

There were a few other users that warned me before I purchased. I should have listened.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great product. I just think the factory has failed miserably and pretty much ruined my entire camping season.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Scary as I'm considering a 320rs
We have had the Columbus 320RS since June. Stayed 13 nights so far with only minor issues. Five of those night were with 6 adults, 3 grand kids and 2 dogs. Just saying, no big issues. DW and I are very happy with the unit.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #7

VERY happy with our 385.

Turned on the Furnace and had no problems. AC seems to work fine as well.
Auto level system worked great, coming and going.
Can't hear my 10 and 6 year old fighting when standing outside and they are inside! BONUS!!!
And my wall doesn't move....

Haven't played with the tv too much or the fireplace or the outside stereo, but they seem to all function normally...

AND my manufacture date was a Friday!!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #8

When you close the door it shakes the entire wall from the door to the dresser. You can also see condensation between the wall studs on cold days. It just seams like I can hear things (inside and out) that I shouldn't be able to.
Maybe I just got a lemon.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk
If you want to see the other running list I will be glad to message it to you.
Hope your dealer can make it right for you.... Can you send me your complete list?

Janet
Old 09-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #10

You got a lemon. I got a lemon 365 saq in feb. total piece of crap. I had worse stuff than you happening. I finally got a replacement unit in June. The new unit was built much better from the get go. Even my wife noticed a big difference. I would try to get a new unit!