Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Finally gave up for the season

I was hoping our brand new Columbus 385 BH would get us through the season Or at least a month) but we finally had to send it in. We have had more problems than two people can stand.
Most of the problems we've had were "livable". More problems than I think most people would care to read about. This weekend was the first weekend we had to turn on the furnace. When we started it, the camper filled with smoke. This is common for new campers and "burning in" the furnace. I turned on the fans and cleared it out. No big deal. Then about 4 a.m. my wife wakes me up to the smell of propane. Not just a little... a lot. Turned off the furnace and ran the fans for a while. The next day I thought I would try it again and the same thing. It was almost unbearable even with both fantastic fans blowing we couldn't stay in the camper.
We decided to break camp and head home early. Thanks to the auto-level it took over 3 hours to get hooked up. I had to keep disconnecting the battery and trying to manually raise/lower each side, front, back etc. If you pull the pins for the leveling legs the entire leg assembly falls out on to the ground. We finally got on the road. I called my dealer and he said they would send someone down to pick it up (Happy with dealer so far).
This morning I went down to meet the guy to pick it up and clear out a few things and the bedroom door fell off the hinges when I walked in.
Every time I get in this thing it's like a giant kick in the beans.
5th camper in 5 years and this is by far the worst experience so far. And it's a shame because they have all been Forest River units.

If you plan on buying one, either plan on leaving at the dealership to finish the manufacturing/quality control process or just look elsewhere.

Thanks for ending my camping season after only 3 weeks.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #2

After reading this, I am having second thoughts. We are planning on going to look at the 385BH this weekend at our local dealer.

Best of luck, hope they get things worked out for you.
ded4025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

A few other things to look at while you're there:

I don't think there is any insulation in these things. My wife and I held a conversation at normal volume while I was at the outside kitchen and she was in the bunk house with all windows and doors closed. Press in on the wall going up the stairs beside the main door. It pushes in about an inch. Next, turn on the outside stereo... It's louder inside.

I'm not sure about the holding tanks in these either. My wife and I can fill up Grey 1, Grey 2 and Black 1 in a day. That's a lot for 2 people.

If the unit has the auto level, ask them to see the instructions and try to follow them. See what happens.

These are things that CAN NOT be fixed by the dealer so I am stuck with it. If you can live with these things than go for it. If you want to see the other running list I will be glad to message it to you.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Scary as I'm considering a 320rs
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

There were a few other users that warned me before I purchased. I should have listened.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great product. I just think the factory has failed miserably and pretty much ruined my entire camping season.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Scary as I'm considering a 320rs
We have had the Columbus 320RS since June. Stayed 13 nights so far with only minor issues. Five of those night were with 6 adults, 3 grand kids and 2 dogs. Just saying, no big issues. DW and I are very happy with the unit.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

VERY happy with our 385.

Turned on the Furnace and had no problems. AC seems to work fine as well.
Auto level system worked great, coming and going.
Can't hear my 10 and 6 year old fighting when standing outside and they are inside! BONUS!!!
And my wall doesn't move....

Haven't played with the tv too much or the fireplace or the outside stereo, but they seem to all function normally...

AND my manufacture date was a Friday!!!!!
Cflmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #8

When you close the door it shakes the entire wall from the door to the dresser. You can also see condensation between the wall studs on cold days. It just seams like I can hear things (inside and out) that I shouldn't be able to.
Maybe I just got a lemon.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk
If you want to see the other running list I will be glad to message it to you.
Hope your dealer can make it right for you.... Can you send me your complete list?

Janet
Cflmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #10

You got a lemon. I got a lemon 365 saq in feb. total piece of crap. I had worse stuff than you happening. I finally got a replacement unit in June. The new unit was built much better from the get go. Even my wife noticed a big difference. I would try to get a new unit!
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #11

How do you actually get a new unit out of a manufacturer? Trailers aren't covered by Lemon Law, correct?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
How do you actually get a new unit out of a manufacturer? Trailers aren't covered by Lemon Law, correct?
Depends on the state:

Texas, yes

Lemon Law

Louisiana, no

Louisiana Lemon Laws - Lemon Law Attorneys at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
"On the road again"

I think the broad condemnation of the Columbus line is totally uncalled for. I have read MANY of the posts here from Columbus owners and yes, there have been some issues. Most have been fixed very promptly by Forest River or by the local dealer. A few...well, obviously there were a few "lemons" that made it into the consumer stream.

Speaking from my own experience for the past six months plus a few days...and 40+ nights camping in temperatures ranging from the low 30's to 114 degrees - we are "very happy campers" with our Columbus 320RS.

EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM we have reported to our dealer has been fixed. One early issue with the coaxial wiring for the satellite and park cable was addressed by Forest River within 24-hours with a repairman at my home before I took off on vacation.

In the extreme heat...the AC units kept it below 80 degrees. When it was cool outside - the heater and fireplace got so hot I had to open the door to catch my breath.

Our six-way auto-level system has yet to miss getting front-to-back and side-to-side nailed to 0.0 degrees.

Our bedroom door fell off the rail because we failed to properly secure it. But, our dealer replaced the bent rail and fixed the problem.

Our bedroom AC unit was very loud and vibrated - but Dometic replaced it and our dealer installed it.

Our black water flush had a valve installed backward - but our dealer fixed that at the same time he repaired the bedroom door.

And - when he was working on our unit, he specifically did some further investigation and found a partial blockage of our AC duct, and cleared that.

We could not be more pleased with the response to the MINOR issues we've had - both Forest River and FunTown RV in Cleburne, TX have been perfect in how they've handled issues on a very timely and complete basis.

I'm sorry you feel like you got a lemon - and it sounds like perhaps you did. But, please...don't condemn with such a broad stroke.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #14

Stating my problems is not condemning the brand. I am warning people to look for the same issues before purchasing.

My auto-level has never worked properly. The AC has never worked properly. The heat has never worked properly. There is no ducting in the front AC. I had to fix the black flush myself. When I turn the TV, both ends of the cable fell off.

There should not be this many issues. Period. And I should not have an unusable camper before I even make the first payment. period.

I'm glad some of you are happy with your units and aren't hindered in any way in taking it in for service every few weeks but I am not.

I'm sure things will get fixed by the manufacturer/dealer but they shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Trailer Trash

Only problem I have with my 320RS is no voltage on the electric water heater element. So that is a switch or wiring. Other than that everything else so far so good.

Dealer prep, PDI, and camping a couple nites close to dealer to test everything out is paramount in your success or failure experiance. IF you got a bad one, all you can do is give it back to dealer and have them fix things up for you. No way factory or dealer can be responsible for lost camping season. Sounds like dealer prep and your PDI was short sided, incomplete, etc.

Sucks funkyjunk but remember Columbus is brand new model line for Palamino so we are the guinne pigs. The early threads on here for 320RS models show problems in 2012 models but the 2013 are bettter. Sounds like the 385BH is going through the same teething pains as not too many of them out there yet actually being used.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #16

I can't really blame dealer prep too much. Maybe a few issues that should have been caught. PDI I can blame a little more. The blinds, AC, refrigerator, latches, doors should have been caught by me. Lesson learned I guess. Everything else is 100% manufacturer.

I understand we are beta testers for a product and there should be a few issues. I accepted that part. I also understand that they aren't responsible for my camping season. They are however responsible for selling me an inferior product.

Forest River has been manufacturing campers for years. It shouldn't be that difficult to create a new line without all the problems.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #17

Remember when the customer was always right? Seems those days are long gone.

You have every right to bash them. You are not a beta tester. Are you getting paid to debug their product? FR and your dealer are making a hefty profit off of you. In return, they need to deliver you quality and service.

If you have a story of negative experience with a product, you need to get that out there without apologies. The people who have positive experiences do the same. Just get the truth out there and the potential buyers can make their own sense of it.

Getting these issues resolved is a HUGE inconvenience if you are still working for a living. Spending your days off going to service or worse yet, the factory, for things that should have been resolved up-front is not expected, or understandable or excused, thank you very much! My sympathies for what you are going thru. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Trailer Trash

I went through this with Indian motorcycles back in 2009 when they made their relaunch comeback with the new owners from England. They got 5 years to get it right (redesign, get the bugs out, etc.) They were better than the garlic era crap that was made in Gilroy, CA but they still had problems. Your dealer will be the one to be the hero or the zero when it comes to handling warranty repairs.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #19

"Then about 4 a.m. my wife wakes me up to the smell of propane. Not just a little... a lot. Turned off the furnace and ran the fans for a while. The next day I thought I would try it again and the same thing. It was almost unbearable even with both fantastic fans blowing we couldn't stay in the camper."

fJ, you didn't mention your LP detector going off. Sorry about all the issues you are having. One more you need to address. One comment on the leveling system, you are correct about the legs falling out if too high to hit the ground. We have to support with one hand while pulling release pin with the other. On one occasion I thought I had bent one of my legs somehow. I soon realized It had dropped passed the last pin holes and was just resting on the top of the leg. The six way leveling system itself is one of my favorite features and has been "spot on" for us, as has been said by others. Hope everything works out ok for you.
Camping Days so far in 2013=19
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #20

I was just thinking about the LP detector as well.

The Cedar Creek that I traded had hydraulic levelers. Best thing since sliced bread. Having to hold the legs isn't a huge issue. Having to reset the zero time after time is an issue. Also taking 3 hours to hook up due to errors is also an issue.

If you are not on almost level ground they also will not work. They barely extend past the tires at full extent. In order to level on un-level ground you would need to lift the tires off the ground.