Old 04-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Weekend Warrior

Angry Fireplace & Water heater on same breaker!

Greetings All, I know this is a revival of an old thread, but similar problem.

We have a brand new 2018 255RKS and out on our first trip with it. While getting it prepped the weeks prior to our departure, we had it in our driveway and would typically leave the fireplace on--even overnight for days. (Remember, just weeks prior to this, we had those 4 Nor'easters come through our area--trying to keep it warm to work on/in).

After the freezing temperatures lifted, I finally ran water through the system to flush the antifreeze out, and familiarize myself with the hot water heater.

Ever since then, the fireplace has occasionally started randomly popping the circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is a dual 15 amp breaker, and is also connected to the hot water heater.

The fireplace worked fine--uninterrupted--for days on end until the hot water heater was finally filled with water. Now, issues...

Why have the fireplace wired to the same breaker with the hot water heater? If I want the fireplace on, having priority over the hot water heater, I have to go outside to shut off the switch to the heater--which would likely mean it's cold out! This even happened last night whereas we had the fireplace on just to keep the chill out of the camper. But once the hot water kicked on at some point in the middle of the night, the breaker popped. So, we woke to a chilly camper AND water that was barely luke warm!

Anyone else experiencing this????

Old 04-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #2

I don't know if others have had this problem. Work around might be to run the water heater on propane or wire the fire place to a different breaker

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Owen View Post
Greetings All, I know this is a revival of an old thread, but similar problem.

We have a brand new 2018 255RKS and out on our first trip with it. While getting it prepped the weeks prior to our departure, we had it in our driveway and would typically leave the fireplace on--even overnight for days. (Remember, just weeks prior to this, we had those 4 Nor'easters come through our area--trying to keep it warm to work on/in).

After the freezing temperatures lifted, I finally ran water through the system to flush the antifreeze out, and familiarize myself with the hot water heater.

Ever since then, the fireplace has occasionally started randomly popping the circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is a dual 15 amp breaker, and is also connected to the hot water heater.

The fireplace worked fine--uninterrupted--for days on end until the hot water heater was finally filled with water. Now, issues...

Why have the fireplace wired to the same breaker with the hot water heater? If I want the fireplace on, having priority over the hot water heater, I have to go outside to shut off the switch to the heater--which would likely mean it's cold out! This even happened last night whereas we had the fireplace on just to keep the chill out of the camper. But once the hot water kicked on at some point in the middle of the night, the breaker popped. So, we woke to a chilly camper AND water that was barely luke warm!

Anyone else experiencing this????
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. The Suburban water heater (which I assume you have judging by your statement of an outside switch to the heating element) has a 1440 watt element, which uses 12 amps of the 15 amp circuit when it's heating.

That doesn't leave much for the fireplace.

Is your RV a 30 amp or 50 amp type?

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

We have a 2018 Grey Wolf and the fireplace is on the same fuse as the microwave. We actually have a 'light switch' in the cabinet above the fireplace that has to be flipped in order to use the microwave (and flipped back to use the fireplace). The microwave is much less of an issue than the water heater would be. If you are handy, I would try what SeaDog suggested and rewire the fireplace to something not used as frequently.
Good luck.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #5

The duel 15 amp breaker you speak of is two separate 15 amp breakers. The fireplace would be on one and water heater on the other. Did you have the WH on with no water in it? If so the element is burned and or shorted out.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #6

Can you remove the dual and replace with 2 singles? I think my FP is a 20amp?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #7

I take it for granted you have a 30 amp trailer. I also take it for granted you are using the electric element to heat the water.

So if my two assumptions are correct the solution is to use propane only for the water heater when you are going to use the fireplace. It's one of the limitations of having a 30 amp trailer.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #8

As to cavie's point, did you switch from bypass to normal operation on your water heater valves. Just putting water in the fresh tank does not automatically put water in the heater unless these valves are correctly set.
Attached Images

Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = NaNa & NiuNiu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #9

Well on my Sierra 360PDK my fireplace and my plugs around the back of the stove are on the same breaker. So if I have the fireplace going and the wife starts a new pot of coffee the breaker trips right away. So maybe the fireplace and your hot water heater may not be tied together are you using other receptacles in the camper?
wcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #10

One of the reasons I have grown fond of old fashioned stove top percolator coffee. Actually find the flavor better than a drip coffee pot that gets plugged in. Sometimes going backwards is a good thing!

Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, heater, water, water heater