Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #31

Warranty

I just bought a Canyon Cat and did not realize there is a extended warranty available. They dealer didnt even offer one. I will be checking into this.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #32

Anyone know if FR offers an extended warranty for their motor-homes?

Old 01-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I don't believe so.

TURBS

dog wisperer
Old 01-24-2014, 03:57 AM   #34
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
NO, only towables.
And it's not an extended warranty, it simply adds a second year to the original one year factory warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:03 AM   #35
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
I just bought a Canyon Cat and did not realize there is a extended warranty available. They dealer didnt even offer one. I will be checking into this.
I don't know who makes the Canyon Cat, but this 2nd year warranty is only available on the original FR brands, not the recently acquired brands.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #36

the dealers don't make anything off the sale of the warranty, but they get reimbursed for any repairs they do under that warranty. That's work they might not have gotten if not covered. Not to much I cant handle myself if its not covered.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #37

Sales person at a dealership makes zero commission on the FR 2nd year warranty. However, that same sales person gets a nice bump in their commission check when they sell you an extended warranty (aka service contract). This is the same process in cars/trucks, boats, motorcycle, ATV, etc. Losing that extra commission money is the reason the sales person gets irritated when you turn down the extended warranty and get the FR 2nd year warranty.

All those "extras" are high profit items for a dealer so the sales person is pushed hard to sell them. Those extras are not going to change your monthly RV payment much so the business office closing your loan will try and sell it to you again at closing of your loan.

The FR 2nd year warranty could mean even less money the dealer makes as they may have to do even more warranty work on the new RV they are selling you. Dealers make a lower hourly labor rate and no markup on parts for warranty repairs vs. non warranty repairs. Remember, FR is reimbursing the shop so profit is lower compared to YOU reimbursing the repair shop through payment of non warranty repairs.

This is why dealers that did not sell you the RV don't want to repair your RV when it is under warranty. However, almost any dealer will fix your RV if it is a non warranty repair as they make full labor rate and full profit on marked up cost of replacement parts. This same game is played with other toys you buy boat, motorcycle, atv, etc.

Cars/Trucks warranty repair is many times at full labor rate reimbursement for dealer so getting that fixed at another dealer besides selling dealer is not such a hassle for the buyer. When you bring something in for a warranty repair, just ask the manager of the service dept. the labor and parts reimbursement rate as compared to their non warranty work. You'll be surprised at what you learn.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #38

I don't know about the RV business, but I spent 18 years in car service departments, and in most cases warranty labor reimbursement by the manufacturer paid just as much per hour if not more than customer paid labor. I now work on farm equipment. My boss likes it when we find warranty covered repairs to perform. Its all revenue for the business. If my camper needs non-warranty repair work done, I'm doing it myself. They make $0, I save lots of $$$$ and know it was fixed to my standards.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #39

Toys on wheels get a lower that standard shop rate reimbursement from manufacture. This has been a sore subject for 20 years with all the toys I have purchased since 1993. Many owners of dealerships decide what brands they will carry based on factory reimbursement rates for warranty work.

However car/truck dealers you are absolutely right. I swear my Ford dealer finds extra things that are broken so they can do additional warranty repairs. All in the name of safety and customer service of course.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #40
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I don't know about the RV business, but I spent 18 years in car service departments, and in most cases warranty labor reimbursement by the manufacturer paid just as much per hour if not more than customer paid labor.
don't make the mistake of comparing the auto business with the RV business.
many do and it's a bad comparison.
the only thing the two have in common, are that they both sell things on wheels and have service depts.
other than that, they are worlds apart, especially in quality/fit-finish issues and service issues.

Tags
forest river, warranty