Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by markly86 View Post
They have cashed the check but I have never received any notification from FR that they either received the application or extended the warranty. Do they notify you?
Same here, check has cleared but have not received any confirmation
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
My dealer didnt want me to know about it... but I did!! They wanted to sell me a warranty for $1800.!! Cash in their pockets!!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #23

What if you were not advised or made aware of the optional warranty? Is there a waiver of optional warranty i should of signed? I purchased in 3/2013 and obviously past the request period. I did not locate anything in my paper work, just the individual registration cards for other accessories.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #24

I picked up my Columbus yesterday. During the paperwork I turned down the expensive warranty and she got peeved when I asked about the Forest River warranty and told me I'd have to contact the factory about it, she didn't know anything about it.....
rlreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #25

I was at the dealer today as I will be picking up my 340RK next Wednesday. When I asked my salesman about this warranty he said he didn't know anything about it. I asked him to find out. We will see what happens.

Rick & Jeana
2014 Columbus 340RK
1999 F250 Super Duty 7.3L
tofun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Ray, thanks. I got the images. However, this is the checklist and registration for the first-year warranty. It's not related to the optional 2nd-year warranty.
Barry, I didn't attempt to redact and copy my optional protection plan form because it was identical to the one already on file and mentioned in the other thread, except my first text paragraph read "This $150 optional protection plan..." instead of "This optional protection plan..."

The date lower left was before my trailer shipped, so I'm guessing the form was prepared at the factory matching the cost and some info to my order.

I copied and sent the other because I don't hear it discussed much as a key part of the FR purchase process between the customer and their dealer.

As I read about some others' experiences here, it leads me to appreciate my local dealer even more.

About response time, it took several weeks in February to receive a copy of a representaive-signed optional protection plan form back in the mail.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #27

Well we picked up our Columbus 340RK and the dealer said they had no idea about this optional warranty. So..... I called FR and asked to speak with someone about it. After getting transferred around I finally ended up leaving a message. The next day I received a phone call and they emailed me out the form. Apparently they no longer take credit cards so you can't just do it over the phone. Mailed in the form and a check for $150. Now will just wait for it to be returned.
1999 F250 Super Duty 7.3L
tofun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #28

The form is here: http://www.disruptiveweb.com/images/warranty_addon.pdf

If you lose this, you can always find it in the second "Sticky" thread in the FRF "Dollars & Cents" forum area.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #29

When I picked up my Columbus 365RL the dealer wanted to sell me the extended warranty for $2600.00 for four additional years (5 years total).
When I told him I was going to purchase the extended warranty with Forest River he was not to happy! Oh well!
Sent the form and $150.00 check in the mail and I did receive a copy of the form signed and dated about 3 weeks later and the check went through the bank about 10 days after it was mailed. I can only think the dealers do not want the sales people to tell the customers anything about this as the dealer does not make anything from the Forest River warranty.
But knowing how the insurance industrie pays commisions you know the reason. (MO $$$$ for the dealership)
Cajun Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #30

I'm in the same boat as as others. My dealer never mentioned the Forest River warranty but after reading this forum I asked about it. They provided the form partially filled out for me and I finished the form and mailed it in with a check. I got back a copy of the form signed by FR. All is good.

Btw, the dealer did try to sell me an expensive extended warranty.

Gotta love this forum!
WestTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #31

Warranty

I just bought a Canyon Cat and did not realize there is a extended warranty available. They dealer didnt even offer one. I will be checking into this.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #32

Anyone know if FR offers an extended warranty for their motor-homes?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I don't believe so.

TURBS

dog wisperer
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:57 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
NO, only towables.
And it's not an extended warranty, it simply adds a second year to the original one year factory warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:03 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
I just bought a Canyon Cat and did not realize there is a extended warranty available. They dealer didnt even offer one. I will be checking into this.
I don't know who makes the Canyon Cat, but this 2nd year warranty is only available on the original FR brands, not the recently acquired brands.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #36

the dealers don't make anything off the sale of the warranty, but they get reimbursed for any repairs they do under that warranty. That's work they might not have gotten if not covered. Not to much I cant handle myself if its not covered.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #37

Sales person at a dealership makes zero commission on the FR 2nd year warranty. However, that same sales person gets a nice bump in their commission check when they sell you an extended warranty (aka service contract). This is the same process in cars/trucks, boats, motorcycle, ATV, etc. Losing that extra commission money is the reason the sales person gets irritated when you turn down the extended warranty and get the FR 2nd year warranty.

All those "extras" are high profit items for a dealer so the sales person is pushed hard to sell them. Those extras are not going to change your monthly RV payment much so the business office closing your loan will try and sell it to you again at closing of your loan.

The FR 2nd year warranty could mean even less money the dealer makes as they may have to do even more warranty work on the new RV they are selling you. Dealers make a lower hourly labor rate and no markup on parts for warranty repairs vs. non warranty repairs. Remember, FR is reimbursing the shop so profit is lower compared to YOU reimbursing the repair shop through payment of non warranty repairs.

This is why dealers that did not sell you the RV don't want to repair your RV when it is under warranty. However, almost any dealer will fix your RV if it is a non warranty repair as they make full labor rate and full profit on marked up cost of replacement parts. This same game is played with other toys you buy boat, motorcycle, atv, etc.

Cars/Trucks warranty repair is many times at full labor rate reimbursement for dealer so getting that fixed at another dealer besides selling dealer is not such a hassle for the buyer. When you bring something in for a warranty repair, just ask the manager of the service dept. the labor and parts reimbursement rate as compared to their non warranty work. You'll be surprised at what you learn.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #38

I don't know about the RV business, but I spent 18 years in car service departments, and in most cases warranty labor reimbursement by the manufacturer paid just as much per hour if not more than customer paid labor. I now work on farm equipment. My boss likes it when we find warranty covered repairs to perform. Its all revenue for the business. If my camper needs non-warranty repair work done, I'm doing it myself. They make $0, I save lots of $$$$ and know it was fixed to my standards.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #39

Toys on wheels get a lower that standard shop rate reimbursement from manufacture. This has been a sore subject for 20 years with all the toys I have purchased since 1993. Many owners of dealerships decide what brands they will carry based on factory reimbursement rates for warranty work.

However car/truck dealers you are absolutely right. I swear my Ford dealer finds extra things that are broken so they can do additional warranty repairs. All in the name of safety and customer service of course.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I don't know about the RV business, but I spent 18 years in car service departments, and in most cases warranty labor reimbursement by the manufacturer paid just as much per hour if not more than customer paid labor.
don't make the mistake of comparing the auto business with the RV business.
many do and it's a bad comparison.
the only thing the two have in common, are that they both sell things on wheels and have service depts.
other than that, they are worlds apart, especially in quality/fit-finish issues and service issues.

Tags
forest river, warranty