Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #1

Forest River Optional 24 Month Warranty

We are hoping to solicit information on the Forest River optional 12-24 month warranty. We have purchased this extra coverage in the past, but fortunately never had the need to use it.
Has anyone out there purchased the coverage and actually tried to use it? If so, does Forest River stand behind the warranty or simply refer you to the individual manufacturer of the component that is in question? Is it a Forest River warranty representative or the subdivision, I.E., Palomino, Flagstaff, etc.?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Site Team

it's not a 24 month optional warranty. and you can only purchase it one time for that RV.
all FR products come with a 1 year factory warranty. what's optional is an additional 2nd year factory warranty. this is for all original FR towable brands.
it's not available for the later brands that were acquired. Shasta, Coachmen, Prime Time and Dynamax.

i used my 2nd year warranty quite a bit. definitely saved me a lot of money, way more than the $100 it cost at that time. probably over 40x what the warranty cost.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

bikedan
The warranty is available on acquired subsidiaries; I have it on my Columbus and have the same offer on my new Dynamax. The purchase of the additional 12 months of coverage must be completed within 10 days of purchase and is now $250.
More than likely, a lot has changed since your purchase in 2007.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

It's still not available on PrimeTime (except for Sanibel where 2 years is the standard warranty).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
rip

I am not into my second year FR warranty yet.

However, here's a universal comment... both my first year and my second year FR warranties are more useful/valuable if I have a good FR dealer (who will do my warranty work).

Some of my components/appliances have more than one year manufacturer warranty. So far, I have used my first year FR warranty for only two minor items, one involved the level bubble on my Hangzhou Henghong Machinery Co. electric tongue jack, the other on my Winegard antenna crank, components used by FR. Both were handled promptly by Ben, my dealer warranty representative.

I anticipate the same FR dealer warranty service in my second year as the first.

Perhaps some one else will comment on a major second year FR warranty experience.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
bikedan
The warranty is available on acquired subsidiaries; I have it on my Columbus and have the same offer on my new Dynamax. The purchase of the additional 12 months of coverage must be completed within 10 days of purchase and is now $250.
More than likely, a lot has changed since your purchase in 2007.
Columbus is a Palomino product, which offered a 2 year warranty before FR acquired them from Vanguard Industries.
i'm assuming Dynamax probably was the same case, that they offered a 2 year warranty before FR acquired them.
the other companies only offered a 1 year warranty when FR acquired them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Second year warranty is solely based on each manufacturers discretion.
If they don't offer a second year warranty its only because they don't want to offer it , not becuase they were bought out or acquired by fr.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #8

OK, I get the fact that it is up to the individual subsidiary. The real question is what have been the experiences by the Forum members in actually getting repairs done in the second year?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Team

like i had said, i had more warranty issues dealt with, during the second year, than in the first year.
and they were more expensive fixes and were things that didn't have their own separate warranties, like the oven, a/c or WH.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #10

How do you purchase the second year warranty? At the dealership, or does Forest River send out a mailer?
campingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingguy View Post
How do you purchase the second year warranty? At the dealership, or does Forest River send out a mailer?
Should be a mail in card in your owners manuals.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingguy View Post
In February, my dealer completed a scond-year warranty application form for me at delivery, encouraged me to buy it, offered to send it in for me or do it myself emphasizing I should do it that week.

That form was titled "Forest River, Inc. Additional 12-Month Optional Protection Plan For Travel Trailers And Fifth Wheels." I mailed that form with a check for $150, and it was returned to me in a week with a factory rep signature. Their mailing address is on your form.

I later discovered there was also a blank copy of the 2nd-yr form among the owner's manuals and separate manufacturer warranty application forms.

If yours is like my sales experience, your dealer should discuss the 2nd-year plan with you when you both commpleted and signed the "Forest River Inc. Customer Delivery And Warranty Registration Form" which itemizes and checks off your joint inspection of each installed component and activates first year warranty. My dealer sent that particular Forest River form in, along with their PDI form, and other required Forest River paperwork.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #13

different warrentys for different products ...
for 100 bucks .. i got a lifetime warrenty on the roof, floor, cabinates( not really a biggY) and the complete rap of an Aframe ...
kinda like a selling incentive ... but FR has kept up to the warrenty so far ...

d-mo
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #14

You can find the form in the first post of this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...orm-22882.html

There is some discussion at the end of the thread with a phone number to just "phone it in".
Old 10-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
rip

Regarding the forms I mentioned in an earlier post...

The form linked in the thread Barry mentiions above is nearly identical to the ones my dealer completed for me or that the factory included with my various owner's mauals, except my $150 cost was included in the text of the protection plan form and the date in the lower left corner was "Tuesday, January 15, 2013."

On the second FR form I mentioned, there are 66 check-off items that the buyer and dealer jointly "x" in boxes and then both sign. These items are grouped under headings "electrical system," "appliances," "folding camper and bunk end units only," "running gear/frame," "lp gas system," "water/plumbing system," "exterior," "slide outs (if applicable)," and "general."

Here's a few of the item boxes at the end under heading "general"...

x x all accessories (including remotes) are in unit
x x warranty forms completed and reviewed
x x all required literature is in unit
x x all owners manuals in unit and reviewed
x x fire extenquisher installed
x x all furniture appearance/function checked
x x all flooring/appearance/free of defects
x x handling/towing checked, test drive

Although the customer and dealer may jointly check the item "warranty forms completed and reviewed," the extended protectioin plan is not specifically mentioned so the customer would check this box without being aware the plan was left out by the dealer. It appears Forest River is making a good faith effort to get the dealer to communicate quite a bit with the buyer using this jointly signed form but the process is not fool-proof.

I appreciate my dealer doing a better-than-most process with me.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #16

Ray, if you could scan that form and upload it into the Miscellaneous Documents area of our Library, or just PM it to me and I'll do that, it would be muchly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #17

Is there any Notification

I bought my new Surveyor in September and there was a form all filled out in the paperwork. I sent it in to Forest River with a check for $150.00 for the second year warranty. They have cashed the check but I have never received any notification from FR that they either received the application or extended the warranty. Do they notify you?
markly86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by markly86 View Post
... I have never received any notification from FR that they either received the application or extended the warranty. Do they notify you?...
In my case, I received a "copy" of my form back in the mail, signed and dated by a FR rep. I don't know what happens if buyers phone it in.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Ray, if you could scan that form and upload it into the Miscellaneous Documents area of our Library, or just PM it to me and I'll do that, it would be muchly appreciated.
I have a photocopy of a Delivery and Warranty Registration Form. I whited out my personal info, not the greatest copy and saved it as a black/white GIF file.

I'll PM the full-size attached file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRdeliverycheck.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	41186  
Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #20

Ray, thanks. I got the images. However, this is the checklist and registration for the first-year warranty. It's not related to the optional 2nd-year warranty.

Tags
forest river, warranty