Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Full time in Columbus 320rs

We are in the process of selling our house and then we are going to go full time. We have looked at a lot of fifth wheels and pretty much settled on the Columbus 320rs. I have read some threads on here and many people seem to like this model. Who on here full times in a 320 and has it met your expectations and withstood the full time use? Thanks

Old 06-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

just realize that the Columbus line is not a true 4-season trailer.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
just realize that the Columbus line is not a true 4-season trailer.
Agree completely. We traded a 2013 Columbus 320 for a 2013 Trilogy and the differences are significant. However a Columbus can be brought close to a true 4 season, but that will require paying for many, many options. By the time you add all of those options to the price, you will be paying as much as what you would for a true 4 season/full timer fifth wheel.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

I think you'll be fine in whatever you choose. This debate has gone on several times. A stick and brick house will have water lines freeze if not prepared. It will be hot if not enough AC capacity. We could have spent $100k plus on whatever we wanted, but we chose not to. No reason to. I've seen people full time in just about every type of RV, and have success. We live in a Silverback. It is not classified as a 4-season unit. But, nothing has froze, and we have stayed plenty cool. We lived in a Mobile Scout Titan several years back. Never froze, never too hot. I see you're in Texas, so shouldn't be any worries. There is only a very small few that will truely guarantee not freezing in crazy temps. Then, there are ways to prevent a more economical model from freezing. I don't want to start a debate, but if you have a huge budget and want something really and truly 4-season, FR is not going to have it. You'd be more along the lines of Excel. And even Excel, I bet would've froze with this past winter from what I've read on this forum.

If you are strategic in where you live during the 4 seasons, you will not ever have a problem in a Columbus, or which ever brand you choose.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #5

We will be staying south in the winters so we won't be in too much below freezing weather although it did get in the 20's here several times last winter. I do see the the r-values for the insulation are pretty good and they have heat pads on the tanks, I would think all that would help. But again, we plan to stay in warmer climates in the winter and cooler climates in the summer.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #6

Big John makes some very good points. We keep our fifth wheel most of the year in Melbourne Beach and use it as a second home for weeks at a time. That being said, I would not have single pane windows and R values are important. Certain options will make life a little better and less likely that you will end up trading it in for what you wish you had. Our campground is made up mostly of full times, about 500 of the 575 sites. There are a few Cedar Creek's and that the owners speak highly of. If you are planning on traveling a lot with it, the Mor Ride suspension or similar upgraded suspensions and/or upgraded axles with 17.5 inch wheels and tires are popular and can be very expensive to retro fit. Unless the Columbus line has changed its available options, wheel and tire upgrades are something you will have to do on your own. It will likely come with off name Chinese 16 inch tires that while rated E might be of questionable quality and you may wish to change immediately. IMO, I would compare the options v price between the Columbus, Silverback, Cedar Creek, Trilogy and Redwood.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #7

Water lines will start to freeze up at 15F and lower in a 320RS assuming you have the furnace running. The plumbing in this model is in the center of the RV and the water and sewer lines are somewhat protected via heated basement. Other models with plumbing in the rear of RV do NOT have heated protection back there and will freeze up faster. 15 degrees is the 4th season. It does not get this cold in the spring or the fall.

Non of the Columbus brochures say it is a 4 season camper. However the R values in the roof and floor are good. The walls are thin/low R value, the camper is lightweight for it's size, and full time living is easy. However not in the snow belt. The furnace is big, and sucks propane like a pig! Figure 2-3 nights = 20lb tank @ 25-30 degrees at night.

I'm from the great white north and have friends that own Columbus rigs. 95% are happy, 5% not so much. Most of the unhappy are due to crappy dealer experience. And like all brands, a few lemons were produced in the early days of this brand. However, Columbus is in it's 4th manufacturing year and have the bugs worked out now. 500+ happy Columbus owners have their own group on facebook. Go there to find out more info.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #8

We do not full time, however we just spend 2 months in everything from 19 degrees to 108 degrees (all over the west & NW) in a new 320RS. Someone posted on the Columbus FB that they added insulation to the front nose. I suspect ours could also use it but we were & are very happy with our 320. We did not get the dual pane windows because I wasn't convinced of the true benefit with 3 slides. We did get the heat pump in the main AC & added the 2nd AC. We only used the furnace when temps were in the 20's. We also found the fireplace works great to take off a slight chill. I had the chinese tires balanced & use a TPS. They are doing fine after more than 9400 miles (maybe we got lucky but I do watch them). I also do not exceed 65 mph (we were passed by many RV's going much faster). We also got the tri-glide pin, rear camera & auto-level. These items are worth every penny. We know there are others with better R-factors but for the quality & money we would not change if we went full time tomorrow. We plan to spend 2 to 3 months at a time in ours every year. Good luck with your choice & enjoy.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #9

Also realize full timing will negate the warranty if Columbus factory finds out. It will happen immediately when the axe falls as it has happened to 3 owners I know. Just a heads up c
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #10

Would care to elaborate what you mean "when the axe falls"?

Tags
320rs, columbus