Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #1

Full Time Living / Traveling Suggestions

Hoping to get a little insight on some things from anybody who knows anything, since I will be buying a Palamino Columbus 320RS probably in July, selling my house and living / traveling full time. Was wondering if this unit ( http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panel...duct_info.html ) is good enough to supply power to the RV and what else I would need (ie. #of 12v batteries or 6v batteries) I see people seem to recommend 2 6v over 12v not sure why. Any other things I should get to be prepared for full timing? Plan to get a Honda EU3000is Generator - CARB-Compliant.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #2

Batteries work better and are more efficient when sharing the load. So they will last longer, accept more charges and actually provide peak power longer. This is the same reason a device takes 2 AAs when you'd think it'd be better to have 1 D. Hope that helps as that's as technical as I get.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Columbus 302 rs

So, in addition to being a full timer you will be primarily dry camping?
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

No, would like to spend a quite a bit of time boondocking, but will be spending time in parks and campgrounds with facilities.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Columbus 302 rs

Keep in mind that the 320rs is an electronic marvel and uses 50amps. I think you will get a lot more bang for your buck with a high quality generator. I love solar potential but it will cripple you on utilizing a lot of the best features of the Columbus.
At some point after I have a generator I would consider solar for remote southern boondocking but not much else. Maybe the solar fans will have a different take.

We are full timers in Northern Virginia right now, jumped into this at the end of last August with no previous night spent in an RV or fifth-wheel but friends that were an inspiration for making the jump. Love it. We've handled the winds of Hurricane Sandy, temps down to touching single digits and had no problems with freezing, condensation, and in fact are snug as bugs. Welcome to the freedom of being a full-timer.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Trailer Trash

There is a bunch of stuff that does not work on battery only power. Don't screw around with two 6 volt batteries wired in series. Instead, use two 12 volt deep cycle batteries and wire them in parrallel to each other. Your two batteries in a diesel pickup truck are wired this way.

TV, Stereo, AC, Microwave, Fireplace, need 120AC to work. Don't know about furnace and ceiling fan as I never tried those on just battery..

Fridge, lights, landing and support legs, slides, awining, and water heater all will work with just the battery.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #7

Furnace blower fan is 12V.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote