Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

furnace issue

I have a 2010 Puma 30FQSS. The thermostate says its a duo-therm made by domestic. The ac works great...went to use the furnace for the first time and I switch the switch to furnace and nothing happens. Im told I should hear a blower come on, then the ignitor is supposed to light. I do not hear either. I do however, hear a click coming up from where the AC blows out. I took off the cover to clean the filter and see a box up there and some of the wires on the diagram say furnace so I know what has something to do with the furnace. Where is my actual furnace located, where is the ignitor? I bought the trailer used last year and the previous owners said everything worked to their knowledge they never used the furnace either so couldnt say for sure. Called a dealer and they said with it being new prolly wasnt bad just a connection or something, and they wanted $110 just to look at it. Wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this.

Thanks

1999 Ford Expedition
brandy2679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #2

It sounds to me that you have electric heat. Do you have registers in the floor? If not you have an ac unit with a heat strip that has never been installed above the filter area. I do not know the specs of your unit but not all TT come with a gas furnace. It is a plug in option. Duo therm means ac and heat. But I have been wrong before without more info treat this as a guess.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy2679
I have a 2010 Puma 30FQSS. The thermostate says its a duo-therm made by domestic. The ac works great...went to use the furnace for the first time and I switch the switch to furnace and nothing happens. Im told I should hear a blower come on, then the ignitor is supposed to light. I do not hear either. I do however, hear a click coming up from where the AC blows out. I took off the cover to clean the filter and see a box up there and some of the wires on the diagram say furnace so I know what has something to do with the furnace. Where is my actual furnace located, where is the ignitor? I bought the trailer used last year and the previous owners said everything worked to their knowledge they never used the furnace either so couldnt say for sure. Called a dealer and they said with it being new prolly wasnt bad just a connection or something, and they wanted $110 just to look at it. Wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this.

Thanks
Check the furnace breaker?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #4

The current PUMA 30FQSS liturature lists a 30K BTU ducted furnace and I'm guessing you have something like that as well. Typically the gas will fire prior to the fan coming on after the plenum in the furnance reaches a preset internal tempature.

Have you confirmed that gas is available? (ex: does the stove work??)
Also the furnace is powered by 12 Volts so check the fuse(s).
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

Looking at pic's of a 2010 30FQSS, I think your furnace is under the refrigerator. Do you have a louvered vent cover there? Is there a exhaust vent on the outside of your camper around the refrigerator area?
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The A/C and the furnace on your camper are two, completely different systems. The A/C is ducted in the ceiling and has it's own fan. The furnace is ducted under the floor (or near the floor) and has it's own fan. The fan control on the thermostat (on/auto, Hi/Lo) is for the A/C unit only.

The location of the furnace can be found looking for the air return (louvered panel) in the camper...the furnace will be behind it. There will also be 2 ports, about 2 1/2" in diameter on the outside of the camper. One is fresh air intake and the other is exhaust.

To use the furnace, select heat on the thermostat and set the temperature setpoint. The furnace fan should start and the furnace will auto-ignite. You should purge the air out of the gas line by igniting the stove if the propane tanks were shut off.

The burner, once ignited, will continue to run until the temperature setpoint is reached. The fan will continue to run after the burner is off to cool the furnace to a pre-determined temperature.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica
The A/C and the furnace on your camper are two, completely different systems. The A/C is ducted in the ceiling and has it's own fan. The furnace is ducted under the floor (or near the floor) and has it's own fan. The fan control on the thermostat (on/auto, Hi/Lo) is for the A/C unit only.

The location of the furnace can be found looking for the air return (louvered panel) in the camper...the furnace will be behind it. There will also be 2 ports, about 2 1/2" in diameter on the outside of the camper. One is fresh air intake and the other is exhaust.

To use the furnace, select heat on the thermostat and set the temperature setpoint. The furnace fan should start and the furnace will auto-ignite. You should purge the air out of the gas line by igniting the stove if the propane tanks were shut off.

The burner, once ignited, will continue to run until the temperature setpoint is reached. The fan will continue to run after the burner is off to cool the furnace to a pre-determined temperature.

Dave
But there is a heater control relay in the. A/c unit .
Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If that's the case, it may have the optional heat strip. Checking the model # on manufacturer's web site would confirm. Operating instruction should be found there also.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #9

Before you get to confused, look at the outside of the TT. You should see a plate with 2 wholes in it. Maybe 4" x 8", behind that is the furnace if your unit came with one. Some people do not have one depending on what they think there needs will be and what they ordered. Maybe they only camp in Miami? There is a relay at your ac in the ceiling and also a place to add a heat strip if you want to add it for heat that's the term Duro. I still say if you have registers in the floor you have a furnace, if not you will have either a heat pump or electric heat. That can be either a center dump or could be ducted in the ceiling, but most are only center dumped. Look for the Plate !!!! It is very rare not to have a furnace.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

I have a 2013 puma kbh295 and the furnace is under the oven. Look for a louvered opening on the inside wood trim- the furnace has to draw air from somewhere. Under my fridge behind the screwed (2 screws)on panel is the hot water heater and bypass switches. I tried out my furnace at the house a couple weeks ago and it worked as you stated. - blower came on for a few seconds, then ticking, ignition, and heat coming out the floor vents.

It sounds like an electrical problem if no blower comes on. Start simple- FUSES if 12 volt, breakers then thermostat and power to the unit.