Old 11-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Broke and happy

I never received any service bulletin for my 2014 Columbus 340rk. The dealer called and they found all 4 brake hub assemblies contaminated with grease. The rig sat at the factory last winter for other repair waranty work, even got new tires slapped on it, but the apparently there was no concern that my axle assemblies were one of the bad lots.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Forest River is dragging their feet too.

Date Investigation Opened: SEP 30, 2014
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: AQ14002
Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHER

A review of NHTSA's early warning reports (EWR) database shows that Forest River has not provided NHTSA with any information regarding claims related to deaths and injuries involving the company's vehicles or any information regarding property damage claims, warranty claims, consumer complaints and field reports as required by regulation. It also appears from a search of NHTSA's databases that Forest River may have failed to submit to NHTSA quarterly reports on the company's progress completing safety recalls. Forest River may have also failed to comply with other recall-related requirements, including by failing to include required language in its recall notices to dealers and by failing to submit other recall-related communications to NHTSA. NHTSA is also investigating other potential violations of the Safety Act.
Maybe FR has nothing to submit being what you have said, The people that should report that would be Lippert.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #13

This has been going on for a long time now. I thought Lippert got this corrected. Apparently not. If they replace the seals, hopefully they replaced them with an upgraded bearing and seal. Replacing with the original parts will not prevent this from happening again.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #14

I'm still waiting for my dealer to finish the repairs.. I'm going to call on Monday to make sure the new seals are correct.. Can't believe your unit sat at factory and they didn't check when they replaced the tires.

Columbus 340RK
43 days Camping 2014 'Winterized'
You can find us in Egg Harbor, WI 7/14 -7/17
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #15

For the record: While was on the factory tour this past Aug, They DO assemble the axles to the frames at the Columbus factory. This still does not negate Lippert from fault. I have heard that Lippert was trying to blame the transport drivers, claiming they were adding grease prior to going on a delivery. I changed all four of my seals. The originals are single lip, and the grease had the consistency of hot chocolate. Now has double lip with quality grease.
Just my observations.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
Swift2

Do you know the part number on the double lip seals. I'm getting ready to do mine and would like to use those instead of the originals.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
Do you know the part number on the double lip seals. I'm getting ready to do mine and would like to use those instead of the originals.
Here is what I used. Obtained from a local truck / trailer fab shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer seal part number.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	548.7 KB
ID:	67831

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #18

Are the newer models retrofitted with better seals now? We are looking at a new 320rs and don't even want to think about bad brakes to start us off.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:44 AM   #19

You just need to ask the dealer to check them before signing the papers. I bought mine a year ago, my dealer does good job. They contacted FR and got them replaced for mine at no charge. I think the dealer makes a huge difference. MHO
Old 06-05-2015, 06:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
For the record: While was on the factory tour this past Aug, They DO assemble the axles to the frames at the Columbus factory. This still does not negate Lippert from fault. I have heard that Lippert was trying to blame the transport drivers, claiming they were adding grease prior to going on a delivery. I changed all four of my seals. The originals are single lip, and the grease had the consistency of hot chocolate. Now has double lip with quality grease.
Just my observations.
Don't the hubs and axles come put together already from Lippert. FR might install the axle but they do not install the breaks and bearings and seals.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, columbus, wheel