Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Infractee

FYI Columbus 5th wheel owners

Stopped at my dealer today to check on the status of my HG 5th wheel warranty work and while waiting to talk to my service rep I was chatting with a guy who just brought in his columbus 5th with a letter from Forest River about bringing in to dealer to get brakes checked if experiencing reduced braking. Apparently they are having a grease seal issue problem? He was dropping it off for an inspection of the brakes. Sorry if this has already been posted, I looked but did not find, seemed important.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #2

I, too, have a 2014 Columbus 295RL 5th wheel. When I had the wheel bearings checked the next day after picking up the camper, it was discovered that one of the wheel bearing seal caps was missing and spun grease all through the brake area and contaminated the brake shoes and drum. That was on June 6, 2014, and to this date, Palamino has not reimbursed me for the repair. Quality control ??? It is non-existent, in my opinion.

Bill

Old 10-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

I would think it's the axle supplier that's at fault. Those axles made by either Lippert or Dexter are already assembled and shipped to who ever is building the frame. FR or Palomino has nothing to do with the axle assembly as it's already installed on the frame prior to building the unit.
Looking on the Columbus internet brochure they don't list who makes the axels.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #4

Lippert is the manufacturer of the axles. and your suggestion makes sense. I will try to contact them...Does anyone have a phone number or e-mail for Lippert?
Thanks, Bill
Old 10-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #5

Axles & Suspension Selections
Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I would think it's the axle supplier that's at fault. Those axles made by either Lippert or Dexter are already assembled and shipped to who ever is building the frame. FR or Palomino has nothing to do with the axle assembly as it's already installed on the frame prior to building the unit.
Looking on the Columbus internet brochure they don't list who makes the axels.
Correct these axles are supplied with the frame from lippert.

So quality control bashing should be at the forefront of lippert not forest river.

Turbs
Old 10-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #7

I found the phone number and e-mail address for Lippert Components, Inc. Warranty Division. Phone: 574-535-1125, and e-mail is warranty@lci1.com
Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Not-so-Junior Member

Grease on Brakes

This is an ongoing problem. Ours is a 2013 Columbus 295RL and we had bad seals on our Lippert Axles last year. Itv was a challenge for us to get reimbursed but we finally did. Lippert and Forest River are botha ware of the problem but Lippert is not very responsive, and they should be.
There's are complaints on file with the NHTSA about this issue and you should report this to the NHTSA as soon as possible so they document it and hopefully force a recall.
You can file a complaint here: Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

I'm also attaching a 3-page PDF of the letter that we received from Lippert one year after we had to replace our seals and brakes.
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

Forest River is dragging their feet too.

Date Investigation Opened: SEP 30, 2014
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: AQ14002
Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHER

A review of NHTSA's early warning reports (EWR) database shows that Forest River has not provided NHTSA with any information regarding claims related to deaths and injuries involving the company's vehicles or any information regarding property damage claims, warranty claims, consumer complaints and field reports as required by regulation. It also appears from a search of NHTSA's databases that Forest River may have failed to submit to NHTSA quarterly reports on the company's progress completing safety recalls. Forest River may have also failed to comply with other recall-related requirements, including by failing to include required language in its recall notices to dealers and by failing to submit other recall-related communications to NHTSA. NHTSA is also investigating other potential violations of the Safety Act.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #10

Found out today that my 2014 Columbus 340RK has grease on its brake pads .. We had gotten the service bulletin in the mail from Lippert and asked our dealer to check while winterizing.. New assembly's will be arriving in a couple of weeks... Glad Lippert sent out the service bulletin..

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

You can find us in Egg Harbor, WI 7/14 -7/17
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, columbus, wheel