Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
Infractee

FYI Columbus 5th wheel owners

Stopped at my dealer today to check on the status of my HG 5th wheel warranty work and while waiting to talk to my service rep I was chatting with a guy who just brought in his columbus 5th with a letter from Forest River about bringing in to dealer to get brakes checked if experiencing reduced braking. Apparently they are having a grease seal issue problem? He was dropping it off for an inspection of the brakes. Sorry if this has already been posted, I looked but did not find, seemed important.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #2

I, too, have a 2014 Columbus 295RL 5th wheel. When I had the wheel bearings checked the next day after picking up the camper, it was discovered that one of the wheel bearing seal caps was missing and spun grease all through the brake area and contaminated the brake shoes and drum. That was on June 6, 2014, and to this date, Palamino has not reimbursed me for the repair. Quality control ??? It is non-existent, in my opinion.

Bill
William Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

I would think it's the axle supplier that's at fault. Those axles made by either Lippert or Dexter are already assembled and shipped to who ever is building the frame. FR or Palomino has nothing to do with the axle assembly as it's already installed on the frame prior to building the unit.
Looking on the Columbus internet brochure they don't list who makes the axels.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

Lippert is the manufacturer of the axles. and your suggestion makes sense. I will try to contact them...Does anyone have a phone number or e-mail for Lippert?
Thanks, Bill
Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #5

Axles & Suspension Selections
Old 10-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I would think it's the axle supplier that's at fault. Those axles made by either Lippert or Dexter are already assembled and shipped to who ever is building the frame. FR or Palomino has nothing to do with the axle assembly as it's already installed on the frame prior to building the unit.
Looking on the Columbus internet brochure they don't list who makes the axels.
Correct these axles are supplied with the frame from lippert.

So quality control bashing should be at the forefront of lippert not forest river.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #7

I found the phone number and e-mail address for Lippert Components, Inc. Warranty Division. Phone: 574-535-1125, and e-mail is warranty@lci1.com
Old 10-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Not-so-Junior Member

Grease on Brakes

This is an ongoing problem. Ours is a 2013 Columbus 295RL and we had bad seals on our Lippert Axles last year. Itv was a challenge for us to get reimbursed but we finally did. Lippert and Forest River are botha ware of the problem but Lippert is not very responsive, and they should be.
There's are complaints on file with the NHTSA about this issue and you should report this to the NHTSA as soon as possible so they document it and hopefully force a recall.
You can file a complaint here: Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

I'm also attaching a 3-page PDF of the letter that we received from Lippert one year after we had to replace our seals and brakes.
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

Forest River is dragging their feet too.

Date Investigation Opened: SEP 30, 2014
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: AQ14002
Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHER

A review of NHTSA's early warning reports (EWR) database shows that Forest River has not provided NHTSA with any information regarding claims related to deaths and injuries involving the company's vehicles or any information regarding property damage claims, warranty claims, consumer complaints and field reports as required by regulation. It also appears from a search of NHTSA's databases that Forest River may have failed to submit to NHTSA quarterly reports on the company's progress completing safety recalls. Forest River may have also failed to comply with other recall-related requirements, including by failing to include required language in its recall notices to dealers and by failing to submit other recall-related communications to NHTSA. NHTSA is also investigating other potential violations of the Safety Act.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #10

Found out today that my 2014 Columbus 340RK has grease on its brake pads .. We had gotten the service bulletin in the mail from Lippert and asked our dealer to check while winterizing.. New assembly's will be arriving in a couple of weeks... Glad Lippert sent out the service bulletin..

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Broke and happy

I never received any service bulletin for my 2014 Columbus 340rk. The dealer called and they found all 4 brake hub assemblies contaminated with grease. The rig sat at the factory last winter for other repair waranty work, even got new tires slapped on it, but the apparently there was no concern that my axle assemblies were one of the bad lots.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Forest River is dragging their feet too.

Date Investigation Opened: SEP 30, 2014
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: AQ14002
Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHER

A review of NHTSA's early warning reports (EWR) database shows that Forest River has not provided NHTSA with any information regarding claims related to deaths and injuries involving the company's vehicles or any information regarding property damage claims, warranty claims, consumer complaints and field reports as required by regulation. It also appears from a search of NHTSA's databases that Forest River may have failed to submit to NHTSA quarterly reports on the company's progress completing safety recalls. Forest River may have also failed to comply with other recall-related requirements, including by failing to include required language in its recall notices to dealers and by failing to submit other recall-related communications to NHTSA. NHTSA is also investigating other potential violations of the Safety Act.
Maybe FR has nothing to submit being what you have said, The people that should report that would be Lippert.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #13

This has been going on for a long time now. I thought Lippert got this corrected. Apparently not. If they replace the seals, hopefully they replaced them with an upgraded bearing and seal. Replacing with the original parts will not prevent this from happening again.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #14

I'm still waiting for my dealer to finish the repairs.. I'm going to call on Monday to make sure the new seals are correct.. Can't believe your unit sat at factory and they didn't check when they replaced the tires.

Columbus 340RK
43 days Camping 2014 'Winterized'
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #15

For the record: While was on the factory tour this past Aug, They DO assemble the axles to the frames at the Columbus factory. This still does not negate Lippert from fault. I have heard that Lippert was trying to blame the transport drivers, claiming they were adding grease prior to going on a delivery. I changed all four of my seals. The originals are single lip, and the grease had the consistency of hot chocolate. Now has double lip with quality grease.
Just my observations.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
Swift2

Do you know the part number on the double lip seals. I'm getting ready to do mine and would like to use those instead of the originals.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
Do you know the part number on the double lip seals. I'm getting ready to do mine and would like to use those instead of the originals.
Here is what I used. Obtained from a local truck / trailer fab shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer seal part number.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	548.7 KB
ID:	67831

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #18

Are the newer models retrofitted with better seals now? We are looking at a new 320rs and don't even want to think about bad brakes to start us off.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #19

You just need to ask the dealer to check them before signing the papers. I bought mine a year ago, my dealer does good job. They contacted FR and got them replaced for mine at no charge. I think the dealer makes a huge difference. MHO
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
For the record: While was on the factory tour this past Aug, They DO assemble the axles to the frames at the Columbus factory. This still does not negate Lippert from fault. I have heard that Lippert was trying to blame the transport drivers, claiming they were adding grease prior to going on a delivery. I changed all four of my seals. The originals are single lip, and the grease had the consistency of hot chocolate. Now has double lip with quality grease.
Just my observations.
Don't the hubs and axles come put together already from Lippert. FR might install the axle but they do not install the breaks and bearings and seals.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, columbus, wheel