Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #1

getting surround sound system to work

Recently purchased a Columbus 320 RS. Have Samsung home theater box with Hisense TV. Factory has RCA cable run from head phone jack on TV to home theater box. That only gives me sound on two (2) of the five (5) surround speakers. Can't seem to get the Samsung remote to converse with the TV, however, the Samsung remote will turn the TV on and off, but will not access the Samsung settings program. Is there another code that will allow the two to converse? Anyone had this problem? Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
ranchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Did you try it using a true 5.1 surround dvd?

The Samsung can only play surround sound if its getting surround from the source.....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Not sure if this whole unit has ever worked correctly or if you're asking questions as a new owner. Not familiar with a Columbus 320 RS.........is it a trailer or motorhome?

From what I understand, if someone connected an RCA plug from where the headphones should be connected, then you would only get two channels for sound. Headset connection is probably wrong for your source. You should be connecting to connections on the back of the TV. You should be running a connection off the TV from something like "audio out" to "audio in" connections on the Samsung unit. Then the Samsung sends it out to the speakers.......5 plus a sub-woofer.

You would need your owners manual to educate the Samsung remote to control the TV and the surround sound. Sometimes all that it may control is the on/off and volume of the TV.........the bulk of the Samsung remote is for the surround sound system.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchand View Post
Recently purchased a Columbus 320 RS. Have Samsung home theater box with Hisense TV. Factory has RCA cable run from head phone jack on TV to home theater box. That only gives me sound on two (2) of the five (5) surround speakers. Can't seem to get the Samsung remote to converse with the TV, however, the Samsung remote will turn the TV on and off, but will not access the Samsung settings program. Is there another code that will allow the two to converse? Anyone had this problem? Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Just a ProAm electronic guy, however my set uses a single RCA video connection, then there are two custom feeds from R/L audio feed also to the surround sound. I think the sound is synthesised from the TV. It comes in 5 mid and tweeter speakers and the floor based bass. I select it on the RCA and turn the volume up. On the TV turn the volume down and its surround sound! Mine is in a Georgetown, but shouldn't make any difference.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #5

I have the same set up in my 365RL. To get surround sound you need to get a digital audio coax cable connected from the TV to a converter box. Than a optical audio cable from the box to the Samsung receiver. Do a search on this subject on this forum, there was a ton of discussions. Once you get the box and additional cables, the surround works great. Also need to set the Samsung to digital input. Good luck.
WRROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRROST View Post
Do a search on this subject on this forum, there was a ton of discussions. Once you get the box and additional cables, the surround works great. Also need to set the Samsung to digital input. Good luck.
From another previous thread........................

Using a digital coaxial audio cable out of the HiSense TV to a coax in to fiber optic out converter and then using a fiber optic out to the Samsung entertainment system will give you surround sound.
You will need to go into the Tv menu select audio-select s/pdif-select dolby digital and then exit. On the Samsung receiver select source as digital-in. Remove the rca to mini plug for headphones from the Tv.

Try "digital coax to toslink optical converter" in your favorite search engine. If you like PM me and I will send you a link. The bigger expense may be the cables. You will need one coaxial audio cable and one toslink/optical cable. I also added a surge protector/power strip so that I could plug in the converter wich has a built in power supply, tv and reciever all behind the tv.

I would go the way Redfinafict is going:

Digital coax cable to converter from Hisense "audio out jack"

"Digital Audio Coaxial SPDIF coax to Toslink optical Digital Converter" (Amazon)
Converter needs power, plug available next to the TV, left side.

Using digital audio fiber optic cable, Converter to Samsung "audio in".
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Looks to me this trailer is new and under warranty, the OP should not need to buy new equipment and run cables when everything he needs is there. If no easily figured out believe he should call FR and get a electronics guy on the tele and get him straightened out. Don't think he's expecting Opera theater sound, just fire 5 speakers at once, he's already paid for it!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Trailer Trash

The brochure gives no detail about how the surround sound works. Owners obviously want home theatre sound when watching only TV. If Forrest River was smart they would develop and sell aftermarket kits for digital sound via DVD and TV units
Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #9

ranchand

Thanks to all of you who offered information on how to get the surround sound system to work on my 2013 Columbus 320RS 5th wheel. I feel certain the information shared will solve my sound issue. It is comforting to know there are so many FR folks willing to help others! Wish the factory would put out more information regarding this matter. I raised questions at the dealer during the PDI and guy doing the PDI did not really understand how everything was set up and did not take the time to find out. I thought it would be simple, but sounds like others have had to dig around and install all these cables, etc to get the sounds system to perform as designed. Happy New Year to all!!!
ranchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchand View Post
Wish the factory would put out more information regarding this matter. I raised questions at the dealer during the PDI and guy doing the PDI did not really understand how everything was set up and did not take the time to find out. I thought it would be simple, but sounds like others have had to dig around and install all these cables, etc to get the sounds system to perform as designed. Happy New Year to all!!!
Ditto on the PDI not knowing what was going on with the sound system, but thanks to this forum we got ours working beautifully. We have the Samsung TV and Panasonic Theater system and did have to buy the digital audio cable. But...love how it sounds now!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Trailer Trash

Digital home theatre is new to many at their home. It's basically brand new in RVs. The Columbus brand appears to be designed for home theatre speakers via Panasonic/Samsung device only. The design was not for playing TV through home theatre speakers. It was watching a movie via streaming through internet or dvd playback.

So for all you guys that say the home theatre stuff doesn't work, we all know now that it does indeed work. It works as designed by Columbus factory engineers. After reading the manuals for Hisense tv and Samsung home theatre/dvd devices, I found LOTs more things these units can do. Columbus factory simply setup these two devices for the very basics.

While your reading manuals, learn what the buttons do for the remote controllers for TV, home theatre box, fireplace, microwave, tv in bedroom, furnace/ac controller, etc. There are soooo many buttons, swtiches, knobs in these luxury Columbus rigs it will drive you nuts. When it's raining outside, read a manual for a device and play with it. Lots of us just know the basics on how to run our RV. After you figure stuff out to a deeper level, you'll then realize why the guy showing you how to use your RV during the PDI is really just covering the basics. It takes time to really learn about all the features built into your Columbus. As you learn about them, you will enjoy your RV that much more.