Old 01-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

Got a New (to me) TV. AND I went on the hwy. (for the first time)

2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn. I have a 2016 Puma 22rbc.

I had a 2004 sport trac (pictured in AV and profile) that I pulled with and it worked great for short trips to the local camp ground. But I would definitely know when the puma was getting unruly. My biggest issue was stopping. Not because of the size of the Sport trac. The tekonsha 9030 the RV dealer installed was just a pile of garbage. The 'best' trip I ever took with it was when the brake cable from the pedal to the 9030 had disconnected. The truck stopped the TT with little effort. I actually told the guy at the dealer (took it in for service), "it felt great on the way over here. Its the best its ever been!" He took a look and discovered the wire had come loose. So it fixed it and it went back to its same old tricks.

Fast forward 6 months. BAM! New truck. Its a 2015 Ram 1500, big horn, crew cab. Word of advice on Rams. If you can get by with a single cab, the 'quad cab' will be perfect. If you need something bigger than a single cab, keep looking for the "crew cab". No human over the age of 6 will fit in the back seat of a quad cab. Even thats pushing it.

The new rig also came with a factory brake controller. I cannot believe how wonderful it is. Unless I'm not actually using the brakes on the trailer, it stops like a dream! And, it keeps track of your mileage when you have a trailer connected to the 7-way. Using the slider, also activates the brake lights on the TV and TT. This didn't happen on the 9030.

So, on to specs.
5.7 hemi 395/410.
8-speed AT
3.21 rear end.

Max towing, 8600#. From what I gather, the 3.92 will give me up to 10,200#. But I'm only at 4300#, so that doesn't bother me. Not for a long time anyway.

So...with the new truck. I needed to adjust the hitch. Once that was all said and done, I looked at the DW and said "Get the jacks up, chocks out and covers off. We're going for a ride." She, being the one without an adventurous side, looked at me like I was a mad man. Which isn't completely untrue. So we hooked up and went for a little test run. Pulling below 55. No sweat. From what I had to this new truck, I have to keep checking the mirrors to makes sure the TT is still back there. So...feeling pretty confident in the trucks capabilities, I decided to hit the hwy. This is where I found out what that little "anti-sway" bar was for. After a couple heart stopping moments, traffic got real thin and things we're ok. But the wind was still a bit of an issue. 10 scatchy miles later we pulled off. I grabbed the anti-sway bar and hooked it up. as we were leaving the TA, I was seriously debating whether or not to take the back roads home or the hwy again. I decided to keep with my original idea and take the hwy. Now I wanted to see if that bar helps or if it was just a sales pitch.

World. Of. Difference.

I was thinking....If it didn't work like they said it would, i was going to sell everything and buy a Prius. However. It works. Damn does it work. The only trouble I had was when someone passing me got just passed the TT and to about the bed of the truck. Thats when I would get a little wiggle. But nothing a little positive pressure on the wheel couldn't fix.

All things considered. I'm really glad I never took the ST on the hwy with this camper. I am positive it wouldn't have ended well. I'm still not in a spot where I would feel comfortable going cross country. But I have a ton of places to go around here just to get a better feel for the new setup.

First stop at the TA. Had to find my sphincter and anti-sway bar.

Second stop. For ice cream! Because I didn't die.

"I camp, just so I can tow something."
-Mike

mandring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

Congrats on your new truck. She's a beauty!

1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #3

Congrats on the truck, if you want to make the tow even better change the tires out on the TV to LT-series tires.
Made a world of difference on my 1500 RAM, never have a need for the sway bar and the truck doesn't move when getting passed by big rigs.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
Congrats on the truck, if you want to make the tow even better change the tires out on the TV to LT-series tires.
Made a world of difference on my 1500 RAM, never have a need for the sway bar and the truck doesn't move when getting passed by big rigs.
Good to know. I wasn't super excited about the ATs that are on it. I already have it in my head to get a hwy tire when its time to replace them. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

That's a nice looking set up. Pics were taken at night, so can't tell for sure, but the truck appears to match the TT pretty nicely. Even if they don't match, I like the truck color. Congrats.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB ( Mine )
2015 Genesis 5.0 ( Hers )
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum ( Ours )
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #6

Congrats on your new truck! We have almost the same setup. 2015 22rbc and 2015 ram 1500 hemi 4x4 with 3.92 and 8spd trans. We pulled from central Texas to Orlando last summer. 2600 miles and no issues. Using equalizer 10k hitch. Averaged 9.2 mpg and pulled about 65mph on the highway.
chrisjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #7

Congratulations on the rig, Quad/Crew/Mega as long as it has 4 full door it works.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #8

Very nice looking set up mandring!

I had a 2013 quad cab RAM 1500 Tradesman, really liked it but felt as if the 6 speed tranny was working too hard in front of the Grey Wolf 26RR ~ kept watching the trans temp more than the road in front of me. Traded up to 2016 RAM 2500 gasser, absolutely no problems now except it wants to haul the mail without trying!

Try tightening the sway bar snug, then back off 1/2 turn ~ worked great with the 1500. You'll notice things a bit better maybe.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #9

What's your payload?

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT233S View Post
What's your payload?
Empty for that trip. But the sticker on the TT says 4300#. I just had the truck on the scale at work and it said 5380#. I'd like to bring them both into work and put them on the scale and see what it says to have a real idea of what everything comes in at.

Yes, the truck and TT match pretty darn close!

Tags
first time