Old 12-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

Heating & cooling TT with large picture window.

I have a question concerning travel trailers that have large picture windows in the rear. Are these trailers harder to cool in the summer, and harder to keep warm in the winter?

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I have a question concerning travel trailers that have large picture windows in the rear. Are these trailers harder to cool in the summer, and harder to keep warm in the winter?

My wife has insisted on a large rear window on our last 4 RVs. After the 1st one we noticed the heat from all the windows. We learned with the 2nd and current blinds make a huge difference. The thin pull down / push up are about worthless on many levels, especially keeping light and heat out. Also, our dog does not like to see people too close to the RV while home alone. The ones we have pull down and will darken the unit during the day as well has keep heat out to a point. Great for a little privacy at night as nothing is seen inside with lights on. Made by MCD I believe. They are required for us at this time.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

I have 2 very large picture windows in the front of my camper. They do let in a lot of heat when facing the sun. It is nice when it is cold out and can be a problem when hot. I made reflective window panels that block the sunlight if the trailer gets too warm although the time the sun shines directly through is usually pretty limited. If you are looking at campers with picture windows make sure they are double pane or you will have condensation issues in cool weather. I really enjoy having the large windows.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #4

We have a pretty large window in the back of our WJ. This is in the bedroom on our model. I sit next to it while doing my work, so at least 8 hrs a day during the weekdays. The amount of heat that comes thorough is tremendous. The day night blinds help, but when I put my hand up next to the blinds I can still feel a big heat difference compared to the wall next to the window. After reading a bunch of posts on this forum, I covered them with reflextix and that makes a big difference. I don't think the windows are much an issue when cold, because our trailer is much easier to heat then to cool.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

heat and cool tt

Has anyone changed out a single pane for a double pane. Or, added a storm window of any sort?
Even in 30 to 40 degree outside temps the window condensation is bad.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

You need a good dehumidifier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunpentown SD 65E Dehumidifier.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	126936  
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
MCTroy

I added black out drapes to the back of our windjammer. I like to see out the windows in the morning and evening. During the heat of the day, the drapes are closed and it realy cuts down on the heart coming in. I find nice drapes at the family dollar store. One panel cut in half fit very nicely.

MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, heating, window