Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just an FYI.... take it for what it's worth.

Low Clearances
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

NY seems to have the market cornered on low clearances !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerl1016
I went out today and measured the a/c from the top of the coach. It is 14" - This would make it 14' at the highest point . Advertised as a low profile unit. I wonder what a non "low profile" unit measures. I'm going to have to really be careful of overpasses. Anyone know the typical height of a semi trailer? I hope most overpasses are over 14"
Usually 15'3 on trailers on Semi. Federal law is 14.1 or .3 without postings like low clearance I believe
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttinchief

Usually 15'3 on trailers on Semi. Federal law is 14.1 or .3 without postings like low clearance I believe
16.6 without signs are the min except in urban and rural I don't think you have anything to worry about
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Just an FYI.... take it for what it's worth.

Low Clearances
Yeah, they don't very much listed. I've seen many more than this listed somewhere- just don't remember where. I have hauled a lot of oversize-overwith loads and clearances are always a pain. I've even took dirt roads just to go around them. I think one of my guys lost a strap or two last year on bridges hauling hay, the state even kept snow plows handy around a couple bridges just to push hay off the road(on the turnpike)!

Some of you guys are really close, better keep your eyes peeled!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
Oklahoma Proud

Oh and on turbs trailer life directory- pay attention to the red numbers, some are restrictions. I know in MO. I had to have a permit for the 14', was restricted to certain roads, and time of day.
- Of course the dot will pay much more attention to big rigs than us, but an "ouch" (hitting something) will ruin a vacation in a hurry.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #27

Our 320Rs hitched to our truck is 13'3" with the front low profile a/c
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #28

I measured mine today hitched to the truck and it is 13'4". The height of the trailer itself is 12'3" and not the 12' 10" listed in the brochure. I am relieved.
Rogerl1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #29

I just took pessesion of a 2013 Columbus 320RS. This is our first fifth wheel. For the last 10 years or so we have been camping in pull behind trailers. The height issue concerns me as well. I would guess that 2 lane blacktop, backraoads, and some campgrounds are a concern but where else would you likely run in to trouble with height? Any other advice would be appreciated also.

Thanks
ee2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #30

Major highways, especially in the Northeast have bridges lower than 13.6. I-95 in Milford CT has sign postings for 13.3 Southbound. I havn't seen a semi jammed under it yet.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee2810 View Post
I just took pessesion of a 2013 Columbus 320RS. This is our first fifth wheel. For the last 10 years or so we have been camping in pull behind trailers. The height issue concerns me as well. I would guess that 2 lane blacktop, backraoads, and some campgrounds are a concern but where else would you likely run in to trouble with height? Any other advice would be appreciated also.

Thanks
Anyplace that has an entrance overhead sign, or entrance enhancement. Some shopping centers, fast food places, some tunnels.We go to Big Meadows Campground on Skyline Drive every fall located near the Shenandoah valley. The entrance, just out of Luray VA. has an arched tunnel 12ft 3" on the edge of the tunnel and ? in the center. We make it through by hugging the yellow line in the center of the roadway and pulling the driver side mirror in. Our Crusader is 12ft 6"in. to the top of the highest point on the tailor.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW ALL THE MEASUREMENTS OF YOUR COACH HOOKED TO YOUR TV. Just a suggestion, put a little sticky note on on the dash or front window.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #32

Grayfox, if that's the one I'm thinking of...we were gonna go thru it until I re-thought it three times and said why chance it. It's across from a gas station I beleive? We were gonna take it enroute to Raleigh from Staunton KOA in VA.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee2810 View Post

Thanks
Canopies over filling stations can be problematic. When I had a truck with a gas engine I encountered a few stations that had canopies that we too low for me to fit under. Now that I have a diesel I always use the truck pumps at truck stops.

Here a link to a post by Nigels titled "Hairy Moment" about a close call he had with a canopy over the fuel pumps. The photos tell the story. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-31412.html

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Grayfox, if that's the one I'm thinking of...we were gonna go thru it until I re-thought it three times and said why chance it. It's across from a gas station I beleive? We were gonna take it enroute to Raleigh from Staunton KOA in VA.
RattleNsmoke, no don't think so.This is an entrance to Skyline Drive just east of Luray VA. all the way on top of the MTN. So this would way north of Staunton located off Rt. 81 north. I don't recall the exit number or the Rt. number. I'll have to look it up.

Are you taking Skyline Drive or the Blueridge Parkway south ?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #35

The bridge is off 211. It is pretty low, 12'3" is at the edge and somewhat higher in the center. I ride my bicycle every year from Front Royal to Waynesboro and I always think about going through the bridge w/my TT. Next year I'll try to remember to take a tape measure and see what it really is in the center.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Big John, correct Rt.211 Mary's Rock and or Thorton Gap tunnel. I was thru there in Oct. 2012 with my 320 Crusader 12' 6" At the highest point. I just pulled in my drivers side mirror and hugged the yellow line, no problem. We go to Big Meadows every October.

Tags
bed