Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Hello Group, First Time Fifth Wheel Purchase

We just purchased a 2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK. We are scheduled to pick it up Saturday. I have been reading through the boards over the last two weeks, I can report the following:

1. I have a check list written down and ready. 75 items.
2. I found a thread about break issues, I am going to insist the dealer pull the wheels and inspect the brakes in my presence.
3. I was surprised to read about tire issues, had no clue tires could be such a problem. Based on the data found on these boards, I will inspect the lot numbers and check the pressure.
4. I have a multi meter and will purchase spare fuses before we leave the dealer.
5. We are slotted for a 10:30AM pick up time so we should be settled in long before dark. I will have flood lights if needed.
6. I am planning to purchase the second year of warranty protection.

Any other advice? Thanks for the pointers, I really appreciate it.

Mark and Eileen
2014 Columbus
2014 Dodge 2500 6.4L

Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

I purchased a 2012 Sabre 34RLQE last year and if I had it to do over I would not have pulled it off the lot until the dealer changed out the tires for some good quality American made LT's

Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks817 View Post
We just purchased a 2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK. We are scheduled to pick it up Saturday. I have been reading through the boards over the last two weeks, I can report the following:

1. I have a check list written down and ready. 75 items.
2. I found a thread about break issues, I am going to insist the dealer pull the wheels and inspect the brakes in my presence.
3. I was surprised to read about tire issues, had no clue tires could be such a problem. Based on the data found on these boards, I will inspect the lot numbers and check the pressure.
4. I have a multi meter and will purchase spare fuses before we leave the dealer.
5. We are slotted for a 10:30AM pick up time so we should be settled in long before dark. I will have flood lights if needed.
6. I am planning to purchase the second year of warranty protection.

Any other advice? Thanks for the pointers, I really appreciate it.

Mark and Eileen
2014 Columbus
2014 Dodge 2500 6.4L
Sounds like you are prepared. Not sure what's on your list, but since this is your first 5th wheel, you may want to hitch, pull forward, back up, then unhitch completely, just to make sure you fully understand those procedures and there's no mishaps. Congrats!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

Welcome and congrats on your 2014 Columbus 340RK. Hope all goes well Saturday.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

We got our 340RK in the middle of September and it is great. The brakes are fine, tires are fine and everything works great. Absolutely no problems at all. We have used it every weekend except two since we bought it and I will be using it all week for deer season. Then we are going to Oklahoma City over Thanksgiving. Absolutely love it! Enjoy it because it is a great fifth wheel. It got down to 5 degree the other night and nothing froze so I was very happy with that.
jeb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

We had never pulled a long trailer before. Our dealer sent a tech for a "test drive". I'm eternally greatful for that (even if I have little else nice to say about them).
Old 11-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #7

Hopefully your coach does not have Akuret tires. Not sure when they switched from Akuret to Westlake. While I know nothing about Westlake’s, after two Akuret blowouts and $3,000 in damage, I would not leave the dealership with them on my rig.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #8

If this is your first towable RV, have the dealer set the brake controller or at least help you set the controller prior to pulling off the lot. Also, ALWAYS watch out for low hanging objects with your 5er and make wide turns to prevent your tires having an unwanted encounter with the curb.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Hopefully your coach does not have Akuret tires. Not sure when they switched from Akuret to Westlake. While I know nothing about Westlake’s, after two Akuret blowouts and $3,000 in damage, I would not leave the dealership with them on my rig.

Duro tires aren't much better. Old Coot swares by Goodyear Marathons!
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #10

For 16 inch, many recommend Maxxis. I put them on my Columbus 320, drove it 500 miles and traded for a Trilogy, with load range H tires, 17.5 inch.

When researching tires, I came accross this document from Goodyear that is a very good comprehensive guide that covers all apects of tires, load, wear, etc....not a total sales pitch.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

Tags
fifth wheel, first time, wheel