Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #1

Help with smart tv/wireless internet

Need some help with using the Hisense Smart TV in our new Columbus. When we go full time we would like to avoid a "dish" but still have access to TV and of course the internet even when it is not available at our campsite. Can we use a smartphone as a hotspot, then use a wireless router to make everything work? We are also looking at the Leaf HD or Winegard indoor flat antenna and know that we would need to be in "range" for either of those to work. Also any suggestions on whom we could speak to or hire to help us get this altogether.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Trailer Trash

New smartphones have hotspot capability AND they are the router. You have to have this added feature enabled and pay extra for it on your cell phone plan.

I use a Verizon Jetpack myself as a seperate hotspot at home and RV. That way I'm not killing the battery on my cellphone. I don't like using my phone for voice and texting when it is plugged into those short USB/AC recharge cords.

The 320RS has an amplified wingard antenna. The amp button is on the left inside wall of the TV in living room. Press the button and green LED comes on . You have to raise, then rotate the antenna for best reception. Actually works pretty good to get free TV.

Pay TV via dish, or dome antenna...........I'm to cheap for that. AND streaming movies via netflix, hulu, etc. is the future that's already here now. You will want an even faster internet connection once you find out about movie streaming. New TV's and player devices have the ability to hook up to internet via wifi and stream/download movie for viewing. No dish/antenna needed for that.

Never did it, but I think that Samsung dvd player has wifi capability for doing streaming. It may have a USB jack too for playing media via external hard drive, memory stick/thumdrive etc.

I didn't spend much time watching TV in the Columbus as we were in a drought this summer - I save that for rainiy days. AND I only get to play on weekends. You full timers have way too much time on your hands.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #3

I have had my struggles with this too. There are lots of resources on a google search. I personally enjoyed this rv internet guide and this internet guide.
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to ByronCR Send a message via AIM to ByronCR Send a message via MSN to ByronCR Send a message via Yahoo to ByronCR Send a message via Skype™ to ByronCR
As far as smartphones being hotspots the answer is YES. As long as the phone is capable of that feature.

Depending on your carrier there might be an extra charge for using your phone as a hotspot. I am with Verizon and I am on their newer phone plan which does not charge for using your phone as a hotspot. I currently use my phone as a hotspot, but if I was going to be doing it for long periods of time, I would do like what Joelek is doing and get a Verizon Jetpack (lets you connect up to 10 devices). I work in computer networking and we use the Verizon Jetpacks a lot at work. The jetpacks act as a router, but if you need a device that needs a network cord plugged in, your out of luck with those.

As far as TV goes in the RV, I just plug the coax into whatever they have, if they have it, otherwise it is whatever the antenna can get. I also bring along a lot of DVD's.
ByronCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #5

My only caution would be the amount of data you'll pull using the smart phone as a hot spot. You're talking about one or two movies on Netflix and you're done for data (for the month).

The TV works easily with Netflix and Vudu, but our experience is that campground WiFi is always too slow to watch movies, and so is the 3G/4G connection through your smart device. We could do basic internet surfing and pay online bills and such, but forget about anything much more. 4G is still too slow and so is the data transfer rate for the integrated broadcast from the phone. 4G works well on smart devices because of thier unique browsers and operating systems. When you start surfing on a computer you'll see what I mean. Add a campground full of folks pulling data off the local cell repeater/tower and it'll slow to a crawl.

We got good HDtv through the installed ariel antenna, and can report that the stock antenna that comes with the unit is as good or better than any after market antenna (or modification) that you can buy.

We had the Direct TV monthly plan set up and a portable dish, both the cost of the dish and the cost of the monthly payment was less than the data plan required for watching tv through the smart phone's hotspot (8gigs = over 260/month). The hot spot worked as a router, and we didn't need our router until we got cable internet.
GypsyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

depending on location Dish network has a internet service package.
I am a dish describer and set it up every camping weekend and don't even mind albeit I don't have the internet package !

Good luck !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote