Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #1

Hitch on back.

Just join and love all the info! I would like to put a hitch on back of our Puma 259RBSS to pull a trailer to haul my Trike or a golf cart. Know where I can get a hitch or how to make one?

2021 Arctic Wolf
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Gasser
RRSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Not possible....frame not designed to support the weight on that end. Changes the dynamics of the weight issue.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd recommend not doing that unless authorized by fr if your in your warranty period.

Turbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130811_164003.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	37433  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Carknocker Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
Not possible....frame not designed to support the weight on that end. Changes the dynamics of the weight issue.
Not true, anything possible with metal. But like also said, will void warranty of frame. I put one on my 2014 model, with that being said. If I couldn't use my toys for what I want, then why have them. IMO
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

We have had our 259rbss 5 years this July( bought new), so the warranty is up.

2021 Arctic Wolf
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Gasser
RRSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #6

ttt
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

You have a lot of money tied up in your camper.
A cracked frame is a good possibility and not worth it, IMO.

Buy a toy hauler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP3862.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	37726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3886.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	37727  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Toyhauler it is...not worth taking risk with additional stress on a frame that was not designed to tow handle additional weight...IMO

Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #9

Herk: are those pictures resulting from stress to a frame from modifications or is it from regular use. I would think that anyone modifying the frame to add a trailer hitch may beef it up to exceed the manufacturers specs. Just saying.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Regardless of how well the hitch is welded to the stock frame, the entire frame from front to rear is not designed for the extra load and stress put on it by adding a hitch. You can do as you please as it belongs to you, but you are just asking for problems.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dare I say it but I am with old coot .
You can throw all the steel you want at it and over fabricate the hitch and mounts but you still have a tin frame.....
Which was and always will be the weakest link.

Turbs
Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Herk: are those pictures resulting from stress to a frame from modifications or is it from regular use. I would think that anyone modifying the frame to add a trailer hitch may beef it up to exceed the manufacturers specs. Just saying.

Funny you should say that. At Goshen I had a LONG talk with the frame engineers about a topic close to my heart.

My camper is perfect for us but I run it almost constantly at its max gross weight of 9217 pounds. My axles are 4000 pounds each and I believe (and the engineers (sorta) confirmed that the GVWR of MY camper is "most likely" based on the axles.

I was entertaining upgrading my axles to 5000 pounds to get a few hundred pounds of payload and wanted to know what the frame was "good for" so I would still be safe.

What I got back rocked me to my heels. The engineer stated that if I put on the heavier axles, my GVWR would NOT change because without a complete engineering study "OF THE ENTIRE CAMPER" they could not know "where the next Domino was."

When I asked, they said it was most likely the WALLS. They put more wall studs in the heavier gross weight campers to sustain the flexing that goes with a higher gross weight. He said my next "point of failure" would most likely be cracks at the slide openings.

That conversation saved me a small fortune.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Funny you should say that. At Goshen I had a LONG talk with the frame engineers about a topic close to my heart.

My camper is perfect for us but I run it almost constantly at its max gross weight of 9217 pounds. My axles are 4000 pounds each and I believe (and the engineers (sorta) confirmed that the GVWR of MY camper is "most likely" based on the axles.

I was entertaining upgrading my axles to 5000 pounds to get a few hundred pounds of payload and wanted to know what the frame was "good for" so I would still be safe.

What I got back rocked me to my heels. The engineer stated that if I put on the heavier axles, my GVWR would NOT change because without a complete engineering study "OF THE ENTIRE CAMPER" they could not know "where the next Domino was."

When I asked, they said it was most likely the WALLS. They put more wall studs in the heavier gross weight campers to sustain the flexing that goes with a higher gross weight. He said my next "point of failure" would most likely be cracks at the slide openings.

Thanks for explaining that to me at the rally!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Point taken, but you didn't answer my questions about the origin of the damage illustrated on the pictures. Was that frame modified? I agree with OC, Turbs and yourself about the limitations on the frames, but I also have suspicions that the frames are probably not strong enough even to withstand the factory , unmodified , within weight , camper. My point about adding a hitch is that anyone that would likely attempt this would beef the frame to strengthen it. Probably still not advisable. BTW, did you guys soften OC up a bit at the rally. He seems somewhat subdued.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

BTW, did you guys soften OC up a bit at the rally. He seems somewhat subdued.
Did you not see the photos?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just sayin

Name:	ForumRunner_20130814_202723.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	37739

Name:	ForumRunner_20130814_202742.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	37740
Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Point taken, but you didn't answer my questions about the origin of the damage illustrated on the pictures. Was that frame modified? I agree with OC, Turbs and yourself about the limitations on the frames, but I also have suspicions that the frames are probably not strong enough even to withstand the factory , unmodified , within weight , camper. My point about adding a hitch is that anyone that would likely attempt this would beef the frame to strengthen it. Probably still not advisable. BTW, did you guys soften OC up a bit at the rally. He seems somewhat subdued.

Quite a bit of Limoncello and wine was consumed at the Rally. Perhaps the aftereffects?

That was not my frame, and the article/post the photos came from is unknown by me (typical of the Herkbrary the source is long lost).

I seem to recall it was frame damage above the axles from an "aftermarket" weld shop install of a generator/cargo shelf at the rear. I could have mixed that up with another frame failure from a bike rack (whose photos are also in the library).

Tags
hitch