Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #41
Oklahoma Proud

Nope.
They're pretty flimsy compared to any other kinda trailer frames. Go look at equipment trailers or good car haulers.
(Such as 12 or 14" 19lb i-beams used on similar size and load, flatbed trailers).

Now some others like Lifestyles, Excel, Carriage, DRV and such have heavier boxed frames suitable to handle more loads. Forest river does not have such frames under thiers.
And its hard to compare a normal 5th to a toyhauler. The th are designed for more load towards the rear, and axles are usually more rearward as well (thus usually much higher pin weights)
As before, best of luck on your quest!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #42

The hand wringing that goes on in the RV world makes me shake my head.

I get this done I'll make sure not to tell anyone, ok?

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #43

I appreciate all the input guys, I didn't mean to start any arguments I was just interested in the best route to take to accomplish this issue.

I never thought about not being able to pull a second trailer its part of the reason we upgraded to a 5th wheel. I see guys with boats behind them all the time but never paid much attention to there setup or rig. Now I will be staring at every one

I don't plan on douple towing even have the time (maybe I will not at all if the general concenus is against it and I agree after I really check things out under my camper) but I would like to bring the golf cart on those long weekends at giant campgrounds or bring the boat occasionally.

Im guessing most of you would say why didn't this guy just buy a toy hauler and belive me we talked about that but they get so big so fast. I wanted a separate bedroom for the kids and under 35'. My 320 model is 34'10" is already going to be tight at a lot of state park campgrounds we go to which we can't use the cart at anyway. So having the toys didn't justify not being able to go to some of our favorite sites plus I planned on installing a hitch

So thanks again for all the advise sorry for the arguments for the difference option, I will continue to listen and look at pictures ( hitch, hitch hooked up, or fail) if you guys have any more!!

Thanks again
"Duramax"

B&W companion slider
cronek28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #44

Oh yeah and for the pin box bike mount.... walking past the camper last night I wanted to see how far I could reach into the pin box to for mounting the bike bracket with bolts instead of welding........ make sure there are no bees nest in there!!!!! Lucky its only the beginning of the season but there was a start of a nest and 3 or 4 bees but that could of been a bummer
"Duramax"

B&W companion slider
Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #45

Yes I check my pin box all the time!

That would be a bad thing right before a trip!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronek28 View Post
I appreciate all the input guys, I didn't mean to start any arguments I was just interested in the best route to take to accomplish this issue.

I never thought about not being able to pull a second trailer its part of the reason we upgraded to a 5th wheel. I see guys with boats behind them all the time but never paid much attention to there setup or rig. Now I will be staring at every one

I don't plan on douple towing even have the time (maybe I will not at all if the general concenus is against it and I agree after I really check things out under my camper) but I would like to bring the golf cart on those long weekends at giant campgrounds or bring the boat occasionally.

Im guessing most of you would say why didn't this guy just buy a toy hauler and belive me we talked about that but they get so big so fast. I wanted a separate bedroom for the kids and under 35'. My 320 model is 34'10" is already going to be tight at a lot of state park campgrounds we go to which we can't use the cart at anyway. So having the toys didn't justify not being able to go to some of our favorite sites plus I planned on installing a hitch

So thanks again for all the advise sorry for the arguments for the difference option, I will continue to listen and look at pictures ( hitch, hitch hooked up, or fail) if you guys have any more!!

Thanks again

This topic always becomes a HOT topic... for whatever reason many people feel that it CANNOT be done safely and will steer everyone they can away from this.

To me this style of towing can and IS being done safely by a number of folk all the time! I pull a 37' bumper pull camper with a single place jet ski behind the camper or a small john boat for fishing and I have yet to experience any trouble with it. As a matter of fact I have the clamp on style of receiver that bolts on to the bumper. I do not advise doing this, but with how my bumper is mounted I felt safe doing it, and if it becomes a problem even more reasoning for me to push the wife to let me tear the bumper off and make myself a better one!

If double towing one needs to do a fair amount of research, check with your local state patrol and neighboring states as to what their laws may be. Check with yourself and see if you are even comfortable pulling such a long train... There are many of us that do it and don't even hesitate as we feel comfortable doing it.

If the extra 100-200 pounds of tongue weight from an additional trailer is going to destroy the frame that frame was going to come apart at some point regardless... My camper had the spare tire mounted to the back bumper which I relocated. If the manufacturer felt comfortable with the tire back there I feel that my little trailer isn't going to hurt anything any more...

Do your own research and ask yourself if you are comfortable and stay safe... thats all that matters!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	53058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daisy duke and ski.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	53059   Click image for larger version

Name:	land train.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	53060   Click image for larger version

Name:	1501172_10202317352319113_8153948295283000453_o (1).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	53061  

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #47
Oklahoma Proud

I don't believe people were talking about adding 100-200pounds like you.
They were asking about adding 400 lb plus. 100-200 is a big difference from 400 plus lb.
Plus a tongue load will be different from an unsupported static load of greater amounts.

If we were talking lower weights like 100 or so lb great (if not on stock bumper)...it would work fine, but the ones wanting to do it were talking about 4+ times that amount.
Would I do it...no. So I cant recomend someone else to do it. But everybody can do as they wish.
I'm just going to err on the side of safety!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #48

Avolnek........ your really not pulling anything.... And when a tire goes on the little toy wagon...... you still will not be pulling anything .

Forgive me for laughing ( ) but we are talking about different leagues here. (Check your welds before and after every trip just the same )

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I don't believe people were talking about adding 100-200pounds like you. They were asking about adding 400 lb plus. 100-200 is a big difference from 400 plus lb. Plus a tongue load will be different from an unsupported static load of greater amounts. If we were talking lower weights like 100 or so lb great (if not on stock bumper)...it would work fine, but the ones wanting to do it were talking about 4+ times that amount. Would I do it...no. So I cant recomend someone else to do it. But everybody can do as they wish. I'm just going to err on the side of safety! MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
My apologies I must've missed something, I guess I read it as the OP was interested in pulling a small trailer with a golf cart behind him...

I would agree 400 pounds of static weight on the back hitch isn't the best of ideas, and like others wouldn't recommend that. Hanging generators and such off the back is where I have seen trouble occur.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Avolnek........ your really not pulling anything.... And when a tire goes on the little toy wagon...... you still will not be pulling anything .

Forgive me for laughing ( ) but we are talking about different leagues here. (Check your welds before and after every trip just the same )

This really made little to no sense...

Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Attached Images

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #52

man turbs.... you have REALLY let yourself go!

Old 05-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #53
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
man turbs.... you have REALLY let yourself go!
To much frf!

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 05-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
This really made little to no sense...

I know... it is that time of day.... I want to start my weekend and go camping.

I have never trusted those little trailers with those little tires.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #55

I was having same problem no where to carry all our bikes. I had my 5th wheel up at factory in indiana for warranty work and had them get me lipperts contact info. After speaking with lippert they said they had a hitch and they could install it but they were the only ones who could install it and not void warranty. I had them do it, cost me 400 but well worth it to be able to carry 4 bikes and not void warranty. So far lippert is the only one that would put hitch on. I tried multiple dealers and no one else would.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorgf View Post
I was having same problem no where to carry all our bikes. I had my 5th wheel up at factory in indiana for warranty work and had them get me lipperts contact info. After speaking with lippert they said they had a hitch and they could install it but they were the only ones who could install it and not void warranty. I had them do it, cost me 400 but well worth it to be able to carry 4 bikes and not void warranty. So far lippert is the only one that would put hitch on. I tried multiple dealers and no one else would.

What did lippert give you for weight restrictions?
"Duramax"

B&W companion slider
Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #57
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My factory installed rack is 450# just fyi.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
My factory installed rack is 450# just fyi.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
mine is 300/3000 see post #13 and installed by Lippert also. just Fyi.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
mine is 300/3000 see post #13 and installed by Lippert also. just Fyi.
300/3000 would enough for two carts! I tried lipperts parts department yesterday and left two messages with forest river hopefully they get back to me after the holiday weekend, I would to get the okay that jevanb has.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!! Thanks vets
"Duramax"

B&W companion slider
Old 05-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #60

I have installed receivers on the last 2 trailers I've owned without a problem. Granted I only pull a trailer with 2 wave runners. What I do is cut a hole through the bumper to recess a extra long receiver through. Then I butt an extra cross member to it and weld that to the frame.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401194590.009791.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	53433
Ryanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel