Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #1

Hot water tank

Hi, seasonal camper at camp ground with full hook up , what's the best way to operate the hot water tank ie , gas only electric only or both at same time. Thanks Brian
Brian10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10 View Post
Hi, seasonal camper at camp ground with full hook up , what's the best way to operate the hot water tank ie , gas only electric only or both at same time. Thanks Brian
Not seasonal, only 3-4 months a year, but we run both at the same time, only time the propane kicks in is when using a lot of hot water. Propane use is minimal.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Electric for normal use .
propane and electric both for quick recovery during high usages times "showers"

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Depends also on the voltage at your campground.

If your AC seems to "lug" when starting (or a volt meter shows campground voltage 115 VAC or below - USA), then I would turn off the AC portion water heater and use gas. Below 110 VAC; switch the fridge to gas as well.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #5

You, like me, are on a seasonal site and paying for your electricity seperately unlike weekend/daily use campers so either way it's going to cost you. I run mine on both in the morning to get thru the showers. I then leave it on propane until water in tank is hot again and it shuts off then turn propane switch off. I will have enough hot water in my 10 gal tank to get me thru dinner dishes.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Depends also on the voltage at your campground.

If your AC seems to "lug" when starting (or a volt meter shows campground voltage 115 VAC or below - USA), then I would turn off the AC portion water heater and use gas. Below 110 VAC; switch the fridge to gas as well.
X2

Another thing to always bear in mind is that the 120 volt electric heating element will draw between 9-13 amps average, when it's heating. If you have a 30 amp RV, or hooked to a 30 amp power outlet, this will limit what else you can run in your RV at the same time........as you are limited to 30 amps total.

You may need to turn off the electric heating element, when using other things in conjunction to keep your total amps at 30 or below......so you don't overload/trip the breakers.

Mark Polk has a list of common AC and DC amp usages (as well as a great explanation on the function of converters) at the following link:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone for the advise. Brian
Brian10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #8

Where is the switch for the hotwater heater to use AC vice Gas? Sorry for the rookie question. Will be going out for just the third time this weekend.
Thanks.
BG
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post
Where is the switch for the hotwater heater to use AC vice Gas? Sorry for the rookie question. Will be going out for just the third time this weekend.
Thanks.
BG
Out at the water heater normally.
If you have a suburban wh anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130613_230101.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	33090  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #10

Not all hot water heaters have the electric option. If yours does there should be a switch inside the camper that will allow you to either run it on AC, gas or both. If you can not locate it inside look at the tank itself as pictured above. If no switch there either you PROBABLY have a gas only water heater.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
Not all hot water heaters have the electric option. If yours does there should be a switch inside the camper that will allow you to either run it on AC, gas or both. If no switch you PROBABLY have a gas only water heater.
While it is true that you MAY have an inside switch for the electric heating element option, MANY of the RV's equipped with the Suburban water heater have the electric heating element switch on the front of the water heater itself (which is accessed from the outside of the RV). All three of my RV's had the inside switch for the gas portion, and an outside switch for the electric portion. See Turbo's pic in his previous post.

So it boils down to, you may or may not have an inside switch for the electric heating element portion of a Suburban water heater.

This link may help if you have the Suburban water heater in your RV.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #12

If you do have an outside switch be careful. My switch is "upside down". Up is off and down is on. While you can run a second when the tank has no water in it, the electric is less forgiving and the element will burn up in seconds...or so I hear.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
While it is true that you MAY have an inside switch for the electric heating element option, MANY of the RV's equipped with the Suburban water heater have the electric heating element switch on the front of the water heater itself (which is accessed from the outside of the RV). All three of my RV's had the inside switch for the gas portion, and an outside switch for the electric portion. See Turbo's pic in his previous post.

So it boils down to, you may or may not have an inside switch for the electric heating element portion of a Suburban water heater.

This link may help if you have the Suburban water heater in your RV.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html
Reread my post. I think that's what I said. :-)

-BC-

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
Reread my post. I think that's what I said. :-)

-BC-
BC, you may have still been editing your post, when I posted my clarification. What I quoted was your entire posting at that time. It's all good now.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #15

Probably so....all is good :-)

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS