Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

How would you option a new 36QBOK?

Getting close to ordering a 36QBOK. Found a dealer in Ohio that is willing to take my trade and still put me where I need to be on total financing. My question is...for those of you who have a Sabre and know the available options, what options are the most valuable as far as comfort and convenience goes. I know some of them are luxuries and I'd like to have them all, but I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. I am considering these:
  • Flip down bike rack
  • JT stong arm stabilizers
  • Trail Air pin box
  • Trail Air suspension
  • Electric rear jacks
  • 12gal water heater IPO 10gal
  • 15k BTU air IPO 13.5K
  • Second 13.5 air - (gets hot down here in Bama)
  • Platinum Edition
  • Radiant Technology Insulation
  • Solid Surface Galley Counter top
  • Solid Surface Galley Extension
  • Air bed sleeper sofa
  • Second air bed sleeper in bunk room
  • Serta mattress upgrade 60 x 80
  • Ceiling fan
  • Electrolux central vac
  • Beauflor Plankwood floor
  • JT's Stong arm for the rear jacks
  • Large entry grab handle
  • Fantastic fan
I guess it would have been easier to list what I think I don't need. I don't think I need the fireplace or double pane windows. Not sure about the 12cu.ft refrigerator either. And what is a wifi ranger? Usually there are 4 to 6 of us that go together and we usually don't camp in the winter. Any replies are appreciated. Also, if you see one I've listed that is just ridiculous to pay extra for please let me know why. Thanks
PawPaw Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

Ironically I would put the fireplace and double pane Windows above everything else. We can heat our camper with just the fireplace down to 40 degrees. With double pane Windows that would be more like 32 degrees.

I would do the ac upgrades for sure. No question.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #3

We opted for the super lounge and love it. There's no fan in the 1/2 bath, so you may want to have that added. We actually did go with the fireplace and like it. The 12 cu. ft. refrigerator wasn't an option when we ordered ours, but I here that the loss in counter/cabinets may not be a worthwhile tradeoff. I haven't seen it, so I don't know. Good luck.

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

I was wondering what cabinet space you lose when you get the 12 cu.ft. but I haven't seen pics of the layout yet.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #5

I think you have a good list and have it decked out pretty good! Fantastic fan in bath - yes. Large entry grab handle by the exterior bathoom door - yes, especially handy for the little ones. I'd skip the 12 gallon water heater and install this shower instead. ://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/body-spa-rv-shower-kit-white/68324

We got the Serta matress upgrade and put 3" memory foam on it anyway so you could skip the upgrade and just go memory foam.

Reconsider the double pane windows. You mention it gets hot in 'bama. Well the double pane windows do help keep it cooler inside.

We got the fireplace but we're up nort' in a cooler climate and it helps out in spring and fall. Down in 'Bama I'd forget about it.

12 cf fridge - Do you lose the counter/cabinet space to make it fit? Gotta decide which is more important to your camping style. Me, I'd prefer to keep the counter/cabinet space.

Not on your list above but consider either you or the dealer installing a cover like the MaxxAir II over bath roof vent. Also consider a surge protector like this Progressive Industries 50 Amp RV Electrical Management System w Remote Display - Hardwire from tweetys.com. I know it looks expensive but considering what it would cost to replace all your onboard electronics, tv, 2 AC units, boards on fridge, furnace, water heater, etc it's cheap insurance.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

try to think where everyone will eat at the table you have 3 options. 1 option gives you 4 extra chairs that can be moved to watch tv. The other two give you more storage space and sleeping area. The fireplace while on 120 will help conserve propane for warming the trailer. The plank floor (we have it) really makes it look "rich". The double pane windows really help with the AC in summer. Day and night shades are a must.
We do not have the same unit, but we did install a fireplace this winter in our GreyWolf 26rl for the reason given above.
Enjoy whatever you decide and WELCOME!!!!!!!!
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

We ordered our QBOK in Dec and had the maiden voyage this past weekend. I have all on your list plus the superlounge and slide toppers. We did not get the fireplace or double pane windows. Also glad we went with the bunk vs couch in the bunkhouse. The kids commented on how much more they liked the bunk. The 12cuft fridge sounds nice but its pricey and would only need that much fridge space if going for a week plus.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #8

You pretty much have mine identified with all of the options you selected. Only a couple differences.. Don't do the mattress upgrade - get yourself some memory foam instead. I got the fireplace (used it while working on it in the driveway and was it nice). We didn't have the option for rear JT's, but if they would have been an option I would have put them on (this might be something the dealer is adding.)

Didn't have the option for the 12 cu. fridge. Don't think we need it.
Slide toppers are definitely a personal preference.
Same thing is true about the windows in my opinion. They were a pretty pricey upgrade and we elected for a couple of other options over the windows.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Not on your list above but consider either you or the dealer installing a cover like the MaxxAir II over bath roof vent. Also consider a surge protector like this Progressive Industries 50 Amp RV Electrical Management System w Remote Display - Hardwire from tweetys.com. I know it looks expensive but considering what it would cost to replace all your onboard electronics, tv, 2 AC units, boards on fridge, furnace, water heater, etc it's cheap insurance.
Completely agree.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #10

Thank you for the replies and ideas. I will have to check the price on the window. The fan in the bthroom probably won't be that much, and I hadn't considered the memory foam topper.I will definantly look at that surge protector. I remember lightning hit a tree right in front of us last year and fried the appliances of the camper beneath the tree. I saw it hit. Scared the bejeezus out of me. I did a little unvoluntary happy dance when it popped! I will also check out the shower head. You guys may have saved me a lot of hunting money already!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #11

We saw the big fridge unit at the show, wish I would have taken a few pics. We decided against it...pricey and loss of drawers beside stove and loss of counter space...One thing we really like is that we asked them to put carpet in the entire bunkhouse... We like that much better.. warmer feeling and softer for our 13 month old!

We opted for the second a/c, but held off on the double pane windows. I would not have minded the fireplace, but got vetoed by DW over more storage. We camp mostly in the summer anyway...

Went with the flex suspension but not the pinbox. I figured I would upgrade to air pinbox if it is an issue.

Just installed the Progressive Industries surge protector

Love the central vac!

Another thing we did was opt for the tile flooring...it compliments the solid surface countertops well.

Another thing was that with the big fridge, we were told we could not get the countertop extension that DW wanted...The add 2 small drawers on the end of the sink to try to offset the 4 that you lose beside the stove...

I was able to talk my dealer into adding slide toppers and JT's on at no charge to "seal the deal"!
bluflame11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #12

I talked to the dealer this morning. Joe Finch at Tom Raper. Trying to nail down some options. Here's what I'm stuck on. Air bed sofas. Are they worth it and how do they sleep, and hold up to repeated use? And...can't find pics of the diference between the 50 x 30 shower and the optional 48 x 30 with seat.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw Bill View Post
I talked to the dealer this morning. Joe Finch at Tom Raper. Trying to nail down some options. Here's what I'm stuck on. Air bed sofas. Are they worth it and how do they sleep, and hold up to repeated use? And...can't find pics of the diference between the 50 x 30 shower and the optional 48 x 30 with seat.
I cant help you with the shower with seat but the 50x30 is huge. I have some real life pics in one of my galleries (I think I have a link in the Any 36QBOK owners out there thread.) The DW loves it. As for the air sofa, we have them in both the living room and bunkhouse. Haven't used them yet, but we did use the one in our previous Sabre frequently with no issues.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #14

Are they comfortable to sleep on? The jackknife sofa I have now is terrible. We have to put a foam topper on it now and let the younger folks sleep on it. I am not going for the 12 cu ft refer. I will lose too much valuable space and there's another one outside to put the extras in.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Are they comfortable to sleep on? The jackknife sofa I have now is terrible. We have to put a foam topper on it now and let the younger folks sleep on it. I am not going for the 12 cu ft refer. I will lose too much valuable space and there's another one outside to put the extras in.
Well, I havent slept on it but havent had any complaints from those that have. It is an air matress. I just looked at my pics and see that we do have a small seat in the shower. I would get measurements for you but it is in storage right now because of our HOA rules. Still huge.

http://m1021.photobucket.com/albumvi....jpg.html?o=44
Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #16

That's fine. I just called and told them to just price it with the 50 x 30 that's standard. Should know a price later today. I'll post it and see if ya'll think its a good deal.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
My sister and mother-in-law have slept on ours. The one issue that we have with our model (not sure if it's been fixed in more recent model years) - but, when the bed is pulled out, the whole thing turns into a giant teeter-totter because the bunkhouse slides have a 1 1/4" rise in front of the sofa. The feet that screw down to the floor aren't long enough. I've cut wooden blocks to put under the feet to firm it up.

I like the idea of having a sofa back there. The fold-up bench/bunk isn't real comfortable for sitting on and it gives you a nice place for lounging out. It's a toss-up.

Whoever said about putting carpet in the whole bunkhouse had a great idea.

I can't speak to the differences in showers or refers - they weren't options.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
Always Learning

As for options - I was majorly against fireplaces (and snubbed my nose at you all who opted for them). But, after running out of propane again - it sure woulda been nice this past weekend.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #19

As to the teeter-totter, our 34TBOK has two of the airbeds and the feet are adjustable once out. The first time out, i adjusted them, and they hold solid. Nobody has slept on them yet, but think they'll be good for an airbed.
I wish i had added the fireplace as we've spent 10 nights so far, and ran the furnace and a space heater or Two. it would be nice to have the space heater built in and probably something I'll add late this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

My sister and mother-in-law have slept on ours. The one issue that we have with our model (not sure if it's been fixed in more recent model years) - but, when the bed is pulled out, the whole thing turns into a giant teeter-totter because the bunkhouse slides have a 1 1/4" rise in front of the sofa. The feet that screw down to the floor aren't long enough. I've cut wooden blocks to put under the feet to firm it up.

I like the idea of having a sofa back there. The fold-up bench/bunk isn't real comfortable for sitting on and it gives you a nice place for lounging out. It's a toss-up.

Whoever said about putting carpet in the whole bunkhouse had a great idea.

I can't speak to the differences in showers or refers - they weren't options.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
As to the teeter-totter, our 34TBOK has two of the airbeds and the feet are adjustable once out. The first time out, i adjusted them, and they hold solid. Nobody has slept on them yet, but think they'll be good for an airbed.
I wish i had added the fireplace as we've spent 10 nights so far, and ran the furnace and a space heater or Two. it would be nice to have the space heater built in and probably something I'll add late this year.
Like literally - I unscrewed the adjustable feet as far as they would go and there's still a 1/2" or more when the rear feet of the sofa bed are sitting flat. If I push the end of the air bed so that these front feet touch, the rear of the sofa bed is up in the air.

The problem is because in the bunkhouse the sofa bed is in a slide and the floor of the slide is raised from the main floor of the rest of the bunkroom. The main living area, the slide drops down and the floors are equal with each other so the airbed works just fine.